12th Generation E120 Toyota Corolla Thread (Hatch, Sedan, Cross, GR)

Reactions
Actually the rumored output of the 4L V8TT is very similar to G16: 500kW/680PS. A 5.7L won't get there though, too long stroke so it won't rev well at all. And turbos need to be so big they won't be responsive. G16 is designed to rev. In general large displacement per cylinder engines don't make big specific power.
Koenigsegg? Their 5L twin-turbo V8 pushes out over 1500 horsepower. When I mentioned a 5.7L engine I was simply talking about the displacement of 5.7L, nothing about the bore and particularly, stroke of the engine. Of course, an under square engine would make absolutely no sense for high horsepower. Over square and to some degree, square engines? Yeah.
One thing that surprises me is ball bearing turbos only cost a couple hundred USD more to make than journal bearing turbos and is a very easy way to improve response by 30%, yet many manufacturers would just save that tiny amount of money. Toyota did not cheap out with G16 probably at Akio's request, this is just complete opposite of the company's typical behavior.
I can't really think of a time where Toyota would truly cheap out on a project that they would do though. Sure, they may not overdo themselves sometimes, but do they really cheap out? Especially in the past decade and change?

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Actually the rumored output of the 4L V8TT is very similar to G16: 500kW/680PS. A 5.7L won't get there though, too long stroke so it won't rev well at all. And turbos need to be so big they won't be responsive. G16 is designed to rev. In general large displacement per cylinder engines don't make big specific power.

One thing that surprises me is ball bearing turbos only cost a couple hundred USD more to make than journal bearing turbos and is a very easy way to improve response by 30%, yet many manufacturers would just save that tiny amount of money. Toyota did not cheap out with G16 probably at Akio's request, this is just complete opposite of the company's typical behavior.

It's quite common in today's market that manufacturers cheap out on components even for performance and luxury cars. Examples like progressive springs and monotube gas dampers, these are expensive aftermarket parts but at a mass production scale would only cost a few dozen dollars per set, and provide very big handling and ride quality gains. Yet manufacturers would package them into 'performance handling packages' that cost thousands. Same for tyres, saving a few bucks on inferior rubber and offer overpriced 'performance tyre' upgrades.

just a reminder that the best manufacturers in the end make 13% margin on their revenue, and most of them do a lot less than that.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
just a reminder that the best manufacturers in the end make 13% margin on their revenue, and most of them do a lot less than that.
There are only 2 ways to have high margins, cheap out as much as possible (Tesla) or price up as high as possible (Porsche).

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
300ps for both the GR Corolla and GRMN version of the GR Yaris, manual transmission option for the GR Supra and the GRMN version of GR Supra, hopefully this rumour is accurate.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Any chance of GR C-HR for next gen? UX F with this engine and manual would be cool too at this point, would make a first Lexus performance car with manual. Haha...

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
300ps for both the GR Corolla and GRMN version of the GR Yaris, manual transmission option for the GR Supra and the GRMN version of GR Supra, hopefully this rumour is accurate.

if Toyota USA is sending out pics that have 268hp in it, it will have 268hp in the USA.
Now maybe there will be some special version of it with 300hp, but standard will be 268.

Reactions

That Reddit rumor I saw was true.

I came across this guy on r/cars who said that the GR Supra (not even the GRMN) would be getting a 6-speed manual for the 2023 model year (next year). He had a lot of information and he was told this detail from a dealer friend. I asked him if he was making a mistake and if he meant the GRMN instead. Sounds like the guy was actually right... I'm in awe.

No BMW's AFAIK have the manual with the most modern iteration B58 that the GR Supra has.

Last edited:

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
That Reddit rumor I saw was true.

I came across this guy on r/cars who said that the GR Supra (not even the GRMN) would be getting a 6-speed manual for the 2023 model year (next year). He had a lot of information and he was told this detail from a dealer friend. I asked him if he was making a mistake and if he meant the GRMN instead. Sounds like the guy was actually right... I'm in awe.

No BMW's AFAIK have the manual with the most modern iteration B58 that the GR Supra has.
G20 M3? S58 technically is the latest variant of B58.

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
if Toyota USA is sending out pics that have 268hp in it, it will have 268hp in the USA.
Now maybe there will be some special version of it with 300hp, but standard will be 268.
Who knows, maybe the 300hp is for the stripped out version without rear seats from the recent dealership leak posted on Reddit(BTW that content has already been deleted) and the standard fully loaded model will have 268hp.

Reactions
G20 M3? S58 technically is the latest variant of B58.

The S58 (84x90mm bore and stroke) is a different block than the B58 (82x94.6mm) as they have their own different bores and strokes. They share the fact that they're both closed-deck engines, and while there are similarities between the two engines (I call the S58 the B58 on cocaine), the main similarities end there.

Last edited:

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
Screenshot_20211124-131227_Samsung Internet.jpg
This is just a few examples, but all these car websites are getting more and more pathetic, it took then almost a month to realise Toyota's teaser on Instagram and then they write it off as Toyota being too slick and subtle, digging for info is part of their job, if some Joe Blow on a car forum can spot these hints within a few minutes after the teaser got posted, what's the excuse for these people? And the best part is that they finally realised that teaser after someone shared it on a recently created forum dedicated to the GR Corolla, which could also mean that if that post was never shared on that forum none of the people running these car websites would ever realise that teaser.

Jeonsa

Fan
Reactions
View attachment 5224
This is just a few examples, but all these car websites are getting more and more pathetic, it took then almost a month to realise Toyota's teaser on Instagram and then they write it off as Toyota being too slick and subtle, digging for info is part of their job, if some Joe Blow on a car forum can spot these hints within a few minutes after the teaser got posted, what's the excuse for these people? And the best part is that they finally realised that teaser after someone shared it on a recently created forum dedicated to the GR Corolla, which could also mean that if that post was never shared on that forum none of the people running these car websites would ever realise that teaser.
Funny thing was, When I found it randomly and sent it to Kirk, I was so confused when I saw the date it was posted. 😂

I thought originally the car in the background was the Yaris and after zooming in we both agreed it was the Corolla in the Gazoo camo. It’s funny watch all these other car news outlets quickly pump out articles afterwards.

Last edited:

mikeavelli

Reactions
I’m hearing closer to 300.. tuned it’s making close to 500 lol

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
I’m hearing closer to 300.. tuned it’s making close to 500 lol
The 268 on the climate control is probably just a coincidence, because the original photo that the teaser is based on already shows those numbers on the climate control, I doubt Toyota would let the little brother(GR Yaris) step on the big brother's toes(GR Corolla).

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
The 268 on the climate control is probably just a coincidence, because the original photo that the teaser is based on already shows those numbers on the climate control, I doubt Toyota would let the little brother(GR Yaris) step on the big brother's toes(GR Corolla).

eh, you can not set 26.8 in climate control, it is not coincidentally random number they photoshopped in if it is same hp as in Yaris GR.

I mean you can believe what you want, just dont be dissapointed later on when they already told us what it is.

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
eh, you can not set 26.8 in climate control, it is not coincidentally random number they photoshopped in if it is same hp as in Yaris GR.

I mean you can believe what you want, just dont be dissapointed later on when they already told us what it is.
Screenshot_20211127-115549_Chrome.jpg
Have you actually seen how the original photo is even like? If not here you go. Look at the climate control display, this is what we're talking about.