12th Generation E120 Toyota Corolla Thread (Hatch, Sedan, Cross, GR)

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Recent IG post from toyotausa shows the interior of the Corolla HB with several easter eggs pointing to a GR Corolla. Clock, nav map, and out the passenger window. Hopefully the details drop soon.

screenshot?

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
Wait a minute, is it really just going to be 268hp and not the rumoured 300hp? See the AC temperature.

Last edited:

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
I'm surprised that none of the people who run those trashy car websites picked up the easter eggs in this picture.

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
Wait a minute, is it really just going to be 268hp and not the rumoured 300hp? See the AC temperature.
I didn't catch that one. Hopefully that's coincidence and we still get the rumored 296hp.

IMO, the rumored 296hp is the sweet spot for this car. They can price it above the WRX and still throw the big brakes and diffs from the GR Yaris Performance Pack while keeping pricing in the mid-$30k ballpark. 268hp and it pretty much has to compete with the WRX on price and that means we won't get the better brakes as standard.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
What is the significance of 16? It’s also on the Trip read out.

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
I didn't catch that one. Hopefully that's coincidence and we still get the rumored 296hp.

IMO, the rumored 296hp is the sweet spot for this car. They can price it above the WRX and still throw the big brakes and diffs from the GR Yaris Performance Pack while keeping pricing in the mid-$30k ballpark. 268hp and it pretty much has to compete with the WRX on price and that means we won't get the better brakes as standard.
Agree, it needs to sit in the performance category that's above the WRX and Hyundai's N stuff. I really hope the rumoured horsepower figures are true, for those people who really like the concept of a roughly 300hp AWD hot hatch that doesn't cost a ridiculous amount of money(looking at you VW Golf R) like old the STI hatchback, this GR Corolla will probably be the perfect car for them.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Who says Toyota can't do performance? They can, just that performance is not their business model. The good thing is when they do some one-time projects, they stand out, are worth it and are memorable.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
that thing is already crazy, it is going to end up with 268hp, Toyotas own easter eggs cant be wrong.
But good part is, ppl can modify it easy.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
If they multiply G16 by two to get a G33-GTS it will be a V6TT with 540PS and easily tunable to 900PS. And this engine could go into IS/RC/LC/LS, lots of possibilities. But they are just not going to do that.

Reactions
If they multiply G16 by two to get a G33-GTS it will be a V6TT with 540PS and easily tunable to 900PS. And this engine could go into IS/RC/LC/LS, lots of possibilities. But they are just not going to do that.

I remember doing the specific output of the G16E-GTS but scaled it up to larger engine displacements.

Imagine a 5.7L (let's assume V8) having the specific power output of the G16E-GTS at 268 horsepower per litre... 955 horsepower.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
I remember doing the specific output of the G16E-GTS but scaled it up to larger engine displacements.

Imagine a 5.7L (let's assume V8) having the specific power output of the G16E-GTS at 268 horsepower per litre... 955 horsepower.
Actually the rumored output of the 4L V8TT is very similar to G16: 500kW/680PS. A 5.7L won't get there though, too long stroke so it won't rev well at all. And turbos need to be so big they won't be responsive. G16 is designed to rev. In general large displacement per cylinder engines don't make big specific power.

One thing that surprises me is ball bearing turbos only cost a couple hundred USD more to make than journal bearing turbos and is a very easy way to improve response by 30%, yet many manufacturers would just save that tiny amount of money. Toyota did not cheap out with G16 probably at Akio's request, this is just complete opposite of the company's typical behavior.

It's quite common in today's market that manufacturers cheap out on components even for performance and luxury cars. Examples like progressive springs and monotube gas dampers, these are expensive aftermarket parts but at a mass production scale would only cost a few dozen dollars per set, and provide very big handling and ride quality gains. Yet manufacturers would package them into 'performance handling packages' that cost thousands. Same for tyres, saving a few bucks on inferior rubber and offer overpriced 'performance tyre' upgrades.