2022 Subaru WRX

Levi

Expert
Reactions
I like, because even if it is far from perfect, still prefer it over anything out there. but Subaru has to move with times, they need an Crosstrek STI like yesterday, 2 gen had to have one.

another positive every company should learn from, good pupil is also Genesis G70: automatic transmission with e-brake is obvious. if you put manual transmission, also put a manual handbrake. take note BMW and Porsche!

MichaelL

Follower
Reactions
I like, because even if it is far from perfect, still prefer it over anything out there. but Subaru has to move with times, they need an Crosstrek STI like yesterday, 2 gen had to have one.

another positive every company should learn from, good pupil is also Genesis G70: automatic transmission with e-brake is obvious. if you put manual transmission, also put a manual handbrake. take note BMW and Porsche!
I have a BMW 228i stick shift and it has a manual e brake….. maybe some of the expensive cars don’t?

Levi

Expert
Reactions
I have a BMW 228i stick shift and it has a manual e brake….. maybe some of the expensive cars don’t?
yes, but the automatic has it too. new generation finally has electronic brake, but both with automatic and manual transmission. if supra gets manual transmission it won't get manual handbrake. no choice depending on transmission. same for Porsche since 991/981.

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
What an STI of this generation could look like especially the 3rd render:

Fixing the little details that Subaru kinda screwed up on the WRX:

Discussing and analysing the designs of all the generations of the WRX:

Lexucator

Fan
Reactions
With every new generation of the WRX, comes the internet backlash about its styling. I think most people suffer from automotive design amnesia because the WRX has never really been an attractive car. (I admit that I have liked every generation, but what can I say? I have poor taste?) It’s design never followed the traditional small sedan or hatchback language of the times. This generation is no exception. My question is how does it perform? Have the engineers made enough improvements over the previous generation?

Having stated this, I do think Subaru designers weren’t quite sure what to do with this car. Were they trying to tie the design in with the Crosstrek? In all seriousness, if Subaru created a hatchback version of this car it would basically be a Crosstrek with a more powerful engine, suspension upgrades, and tweaks to the Crosstrek’s all wheel drive system.

I admit that I like Subaru. We are currently on our third and will likely purchase another by this spring. I want this company to continue to do well, but I wonder if the lack of competition has caused Subaru to lose a clear cut goal for the WRX.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
With every new generation of the WRX, comes the internet backlash about its styling. I think most people suffer from automotive design amnesia because the WRX has never really been an attractive car. (I admit that I have liked every generation, but what can I say? I have poor taste?) It’s design never followed the traditional small sedan or hatchback language of the times. This generation is no exception.

I agree and disagree. WRX had years where it was so brutish and ugly that it stood out from everything else on the road -- and it ended up being a good thing. What Subaru has delivered in this 2022 model looks much more mainstream and more akin to a Civic, Corolla, Sentra or the like, thus all of the comments.

Lexucator

Fan
Reactions
Good points. It feels as if Subaru took the traditional compact sedan design and from that point tried to make it different, rather than create a truly different car design from the ground up. Honestly, the new WRX looks more like a traditional compact sedan than current generations of the Civic or Sentra.

Slightly random thought: I do miss the frameless door design.

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
Subaru keeps saying they are trying separate the WRX from Impreza and yet they openly mentioned that the WRX uses the same firewall and windshield as the Impreza, which pretty much limited what they can do to the shape and profile of the WRX, I really don't get why Subaru set the cowl height of their current vehicles to be so high, they don't even look like they're design to be powered by boxer engines unlike the older generations of Subarus, yes I understand about the pedestrian safety regulations that car manufacturers have to comply to, but there are other car manufacturers that are able produce cars with sleek looking designs that belong in the same segment as the Impreza and WRX while being powered by taller inline engines, so what's their excuse?

The only Subaru right now that doesn't look like an over-inflated boat and still has frameless windows is the BRZ. Is going mainstream really that helpful to their sales? I thought Subarus had been decently popular in their main markets for quite a while now, even when they were still making normal cars that have interesting and somewhat unusual designs.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
with the number of fAkeWD CUVs, subaru WRX is as much a niche as BRZ. i do not understand why they still don't have a hatchback version and/or a performance crosstrek.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
I agree and disagree. WRX had years where it was so brutish and ugly that it stood out from everything else on the road -- and it ended up being a good thing. What Subaru has delivered in this 2022 model looks much more mainstream and more akin to a Civic, Corolla, Sentra or the like, thus all of the comments.
100%. The WRXes I liked were the ones that stood out. Much like with Tesla, half the point of driving a WRX was that everyone knew you were driving a WRX. This doesn't do that.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
posted on another forum:

51487267520_3cf0eb6509_b.jpg