What's wrong with Infiniti?

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Even if it's FWD/AWD or a turbo 4 + hybrid, I think the first step here is weaning off Mercedes' outdated hardware. What's an Infiniti needs to at least be a Nissan.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Even if it's FWD/AWD or a turbo 4 + hybrid, I think the first step here is weaning off Mercedes' outdated hardware. What's an Infiniti needs to at least be a Nissan.
I don't think they know what it stands for. For 3-5 years it was the "Japanese bmw" and I used to joke they are the "Japanese jeep". Look today, all SUVs. If they decide to sell some nicely equipped maxima/altima based cars and SUV's and the styling is not weird, it could keep its niche. The thing is people are so used to getting them on fire sale and its hard to combat that. You would need years of truly compelling product.

I still can't believe they stopped the FX. This car, for Infiniti is more important than the GS for Lexus.

Crazy how in retrospect how ahead of its time it was. This pre-dates the X6 by what 5 years at least? But they never marketed it as a SUV coupe, BMW got the marketing right and has the badge. Infiniti did right with the first gen but the second gen looked too weird and the price went way up. Then they dropped the V-8. Then they drop the entire car.

They should have figured the FX out, it had a decent fan base and it was a positive for the brand.

suxeL

Follower
Reactions
I still can't believe they stopped the FX. This car, for Infiniti is more important than the GS for Lexus.

its apparently on its way back in some new form. But I doubt the new FX can really relight the sector after stepping away for so long. The QX60 is also on its way back, which by local parking lots seems like the best seller (or shall I see best lease) for infiniti

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
its apparently on its way back in some new form.
The some new form? Picture the current QX50 FWD-platform crossover with a different "arching" roof reminiscent of the original FX, badged QX55 and "sold" as a crossover coupe version of QX50 and that's what we're getting.

suxeL

Follower
Reactions
The some new form? Picture the current QX50 FWD-platform crossover with a different "arching" roof reminiscent of the original FX, badged QX55 and "sold" as a crossover coupe version of QX50 and that's what we're getting.

Haha for sure but better then nothing.

mikeavelli

Reactions

Sales plummeted 32% last year to not even 80k units. They are no longer in Europe or Australia. Not sure why the QX55 coupe is taking so long to hit dealers. The Q50/60 are now old and their only cars. The new QX60 is coming but that won’t be enough.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
The need:
QX55
New QX60
QX65
QX70 (FX revival)

... I don't see how the brand can survive with less than that, in addition to the QX80, Q50 and Q60. And even that is paltry.

MichaelL

Follower
Reactions
The need:
QX55
New QX60
QX65
QX70 (FX revival)

... I don't see how the brand can survive with less than that, in addition to the QX80, Q50 and Q60. And even that is paltry.
And they need new versions of the Q50, Q60, and Q70. Go back to the old naming convention while your at it....

Reactions
I’ve gone on for a while here and now I’m worn out. In summation, bad foundational product lead to a poor start. The foundational product was bad because Nissan didn’t invest enough in Infiniti the way Toyota did with Lexus and to a lesser extent Honda did with unique product for Acura. The G37 should have been the last FM platform ever, yet Infiniti can’t seem to get away from it. Among their more recent problems, the subsistence on FM is the worst, most important, and most persistent. When are they gonna cut that cord?

MichaelL

Follower
Reactions
Thanks for posting, interesting to read. I liked Infiniti and had a G37 for a short time, the Q50 was never as good. The product at Infiniti got stale and uncompetitive, such a shame.

mikeavelli

Reactions
The article has some errors but it lists most of the product and most of it has amazingly failed. There is maybe a handful of successful product in over 30 years. It’s shocking they are still around tbh.

FYI, Nissan has stated they are going with a Nissan plus strategy for the brand going forward which truly shows their disconnect since it already feels Nissan plus to most people.

Let’s not forget this recent gem. Least liked brand.

Will1991

Reactions
I still don't get how they didn't make the Q50 Eau Rouge to production:

infiniti-q50-eau-rouge-photos-and-info-news-car-and-driver-photo-563967-s-original.jpg

52-Best-Review-2020-Infiniti-Q50-Coupe-Eau-Rouge-Interior-with-2020-Infiniti-Q50-Coupe-Eau-Rouge.jpg

It was so promising for the brand, shown at the perfect time as well.

Too much missed opportunities for Infinity?

At least the Lexus (TMG) LS460 Twin Turbo didn't looked as production ready as this one.

Reactions

infiniti-q50-eau-rouge-photos-and-info-news-car-and-driver-photo-563967-s-original.jpg

52-Best-Review-2020-Infiniti-Q50-Coupe-Eau-Rouge-Interior-with-2020-Infiniti-Q50-Coupe-Eau-Rouge.jpg

At least the Lexus (TMG) LS460 Twin Turbo didn't looked as production ready as this one.

Apparently the chassis and literally every other aspect around the car couldn't handle the VR38DETT engine. It was too underdamped, and the brakes, chassis and overall driveline were no way up to par with the engine.

Quite sad because it was a stunning car.

mikeavelli

Reactions

Because no one was gonna pay 100k for one.

I saw my first qx55. Sigh…..

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
Canadian dealers told its okay to consolidate Nissan and Infiniti dealerships
A subscription is required to read that story.

I don't remember, but were Inifinitis first sold out of Nissan dealerships back at the beginning of Infiniti? If so, Infiniti has come full circle...

mikeavelli

Reactions
A subscription is required to read that story.

I don't remember, but were Inifinitis first sold out of Nissan dealerships back at the beginning of Infiniti? If so, Infiniti has come full circle...

TBH they never really left Nissan plus…..

Try this one