flipside909

Premium Member
Reactions
For those of you in the Chicago area, the 2022 Lexus IS 500 F SPORT Performance Launch Edition will be at the Chicago Auto Show from July 15-19. Here's your chance to see it in person!

flipside909

Premium Member
Reactions
I really like the way the builds are spec'ed with only three basic option packages, but can someone tell me why on earth a car of this caliber only comes with Nuluxe interior seating?

I guess since it's what the other ISs offer, they aren't changing the seat materials, but that's a bit of a kick in the balls IMO.

NuLuxe has actually been a good product for longevity and wear. The upkeep is a lot easier than leather as you don't have to condition it. It's environmentally responsible and is lighter than leather. It's also less expensive...which equates to better a price point! :D

flipside909

Premium Member
Reactions
Here's a direct link to the IS 500 Pre-Order Brochure:

Attachments

• IS 500 QR.jpg
    IS 500 QR.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 17

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Just a note - I don't think manufacturers ever release this type of information, but synthetic leathers generally end up being worse for the environment than animal leather because they require petroleum, vinyl, polyester and/or polyurethane to manufacture. Some of those components don't ever break down in the environment, and the latter three release pretty ugly emissions when they're made.

Farting cows aren't great, but neither is the environmental haul/impact required to create the fake stuff. We had Nuluxe in our IS 350 and I had no qualms about it in that car, but when you keep up with leather, it's nicer long term, IMO. I think Nuluxe is great for most people because it requires 0 upkeep and conditioning, doesn't crack, wrinkles less, etc... but for a car like the IS 500, I wish for a leather option.

Overall, a really small thing and not something that would prevent me from buying it!

mikeavelli

Reactions
I recall the nuluxe being environmentally friendly. I remember it was a point with the HS

I’ve had both for ages at this point and nuluxe is more grabby than leather but honestly a pretty good fake pleather. It also wears tons better.

I feel the upper level Lexus cars leather is really good (the LS feels exceptional) but you do slide more in them.

it’s amazing to see how things have changed. I’m sure many of you remember the initial uproar when Lexus went from offering leather standard to nuluxe ala Germans. Today it seems to be less of a big deal.

I still feel German pleather is really cheap, feels like a fake Michael Jackson zipper jacket in the 1980s lol

Ideally, I would love Rioja Red leather/suede with Infrared exterior. But I’m a bit nuts lol.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
no more a fan of leather for cars. gets old very fast, even with care. looks and feels good in showroom though.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
In their LF-30 press release I think they said they are moving towards biodegradable interior from 2025 onwards. Would be interesting to see what kind of materials they come up with and how is the quality.

Nights

Fan
Reactions
I really like the way the builds are spec'ed with only three basic option packages, but can someone tell me why on earth a car of this caliber only comes with Nuluxe interior seating?

I guess since it's what the other ISs offer, they aren't changing the seat materials, but that's a bit of a kick in the balls IMO.

Some people may prefer artificial leather for environmental reasons. There are also other practical reasons for it as well like ease of cleaning etc.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
In their LF-30 press release I think they said they are moving towards biodegradable interior from 2025 onwards. Would be interesting to see what kind of materials they come up with and how is the quality.
I hope the interior of future cars will not just biodegrade and force you to buy a new car. Can't even buy used car if it biodegraded.