Toyota Land Cruiser Megathread (300, 250, Prado, etc)

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
The new E-KDSS eliminates the hydraulic line and accumulators between the axles. This saves weight and reduces points of failure. The front and rear sway bars should now be controlled independently by electrohydraulic systems which I think should allow more precise on-road control (older KDSS is semi-passive with very coarse control of the accumulators based on speed and steering rate).

Since both ends are now floating mounts, the vehicle no longer has reduced wheel travel on the passenger side (previously passenger-side is rigid mount). This should also prevent the notorious 'KDSS lean' for lifted trucks.

Lexus LX does have the fancier AHC but many offroaders consider it to be a negative due to complexity and worse reliability. E-KDSS should be a better compromise.

20210610_01_14_s.jpg

Levi

Expert
Reactions
not coming to western Europe. politicians want BEVs without charging station's.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
I like it, and I can't wait to see it in LX form. A lot of the reaction I've seen has been that the exterior looks more GM than Toyota from some angles. I can definitely see it, but I don't think anyone will be mistaking them for a Chevy either.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
contrary to most, i like what i like about Landcruiser are the basic "NATO" versions.

with the weight reduction, the NA V6 will feel less underpowered than current one. the engine is dead reliable. same 6 auto as old one? this version is first and most a reliable people mover in places with bad roads, not for towing/load or off-roading. also looking forward to new diesel, if it will be adapted for bad fuel quality, if it has adblue and if it can run without adblue.

i understand most in western europe are not interested in it. while i can't afford it, it would be my first choice when I do trips by car to ukraine or romania.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
qxpmk7voyehzo60uzsyf.jpg

bzq8cgkciojmz7hfw3ti.jpg

madfmc5admvblfzw40y4.jpg

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
That massive torque increase compared to the 5.7 V8 should really make the Tundra a towing beast. The actual advantage is over 30% in the 1800-3200rpm range. V35 also has much better torque curve than Gen 2 Ecoboost on F-150 despite slightly lower peak. This engine is more comparable to the engine on Raptor than regular Ecoboost F-150.

Compared to the LS500 tune it's weaker below 1800rpm and above 4000rpm. The Lexus tune actually has a wider power band but this one is optimized for a narrower rpm range for towing.

The F33 is a beast. Not only good low-end torque but way stronger at high rpm (although the 1VD in J200 is very undertuned).

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
That massive torque increase compared to the 5.7 V8 should really make the Tundra a towing beast. The actual advantage is over 30% in the 1800-3200rpm range. V35 also has much better torque curve than Gen 2 Ecoboost on F-150 despite slightly lower peak. This engine is more comparable to the engine on Raptor than regular Ecoboost F-150.

Compared to the LS500 tune it's weaker below 1800rpm and above 4000rpm. The Lexus tune actually has a wider power band but this one is optimized for a narrower rpm range for towing.

The F33 is a beast. Not only good low-end torque but way stronger at high rpm (although the 1VD in J200 is very undertuned).

i hope in reality twit turbo is also responsive like old UR... huge difference between 4.7/5.7l petrol and 4.5l diesel is that responsiveness - while on paper 1VD was so much torquier, UR was a lot more drivable and felt way quicker.

As to 1VD, it is probably one of the worst engines Toyota has ever created, together with its AD sisters. Good riddance.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Don't know why this hasn't been noticed by the media. The F33A-FTV uses sequential twin-turbocharging like the 2JZ-GTE. The set-up is a 90-degree hot-V! They should absolutely make a gasoline version of this engine!

I recall some earlier rumors from Best Car said the displacement of TTV8 is 4.4L not 4.0L. So this diesel engine could be based on a chopped off block from the TTV8.

sequential.png

Last edited: