Ordering a 2021 Lexus IS

Reactions
So I was told by a dealer that it was going to take 6 months to produce the IS I configured. That’s just normal process, nothing to do with current events. Does it normally take that long or is that overestimating?

6 months takes us into the 2022 model year. Just looking for insights.

flipside909

Premium Member
Reactions
So I was told by a dealer that it was going to take 6 months to produce the IS I configured. That’s just normal process, nothing to do with current events. Does it normally take that long or is that overestimating?

6 months takes us into the 2022 model year. Just looking for insights.

90-120 days is about the time for a special order to be built. Factor in time for shipment from Japan to (i'm assuming you're in the USA). With the current state of the supply chain issues. 6 months or longer sounds about right.

Reactions: RAL
Reactions
90-120 days is about the time for a special order to be built. Factor in time for shipment from Japan to (i'm assuming you're in the USA). With the current state of the supply chain issues. 6 months or longer sounds about right.
Dang. Bummer. I guess I might take my chances.

Reactions
It's always good to have backups if you really want the car. Especially with the ongoing supply chain issues, it may be a while before we get back to normal.
While I have you Flipside, do you know if you make a special order, can you make changes or add to the order before the order goes into production?

flipside909

Premium Member
Reactions
While I have you Flipside, do you know if you make a special order, can you make changes or add to the order before the order goes into production?

Usually no. Once the order is submitted, it's put into the system and sent through. Then the parts procurement and etc start happening.

Reactions
Usually no. Once the order is submitted, it's put into the system and sent through. Then the parts procurement and etc start happening.
I was told my order is at “build” status Which is like material gathering and frame. How far along is that or how much further until delivery?

flipside909

Premium Member
Reactions
I was told my order is at “build” status Which is like material gathering and frame. How far along is that or how much further until delivery?

Not sure what that means but production hasn't even started yet. My guess is that the IS 500 will start arriving around October.

Reactions
Not sure what that means but production hasn't even started yet. My guess is that the IS 500 will start arriving around October.
I’m sticking with the IS 350. The guy told me ”material gathering and frame”. It’ll be odd if I get a 2021 when 2022 start producing. I ordered in May. Still not sure where that is in the process for my build.

FearTheYu

Founding Member
Reactions
It’s a crazy supply chain world we live in right now. Just like Ford, certain parts are delaying production of Trucks, Broncos. Etc. Just got to wait it out. I want a PS5, but haven’t been able to acquire one. Missed the ordering time frame from Sony’s invitation. Not going to spend more on 2nd market for something I don’t need right away. I work at a Lexus Dealership and I can’t even custom order a IS500 at this time. Hopefully within a year I can get the color/specifications I want.