Lexus Announces IS 200t with 2.0L Turbo Engine

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Yes, as expected. Matching the refinement and NVH of the 60 degree V6 w/small displacement balance shaft turbo4 is challenging, but not impossible. Mercedes is doing it, I expect Lexus can too.

To a large extent, VW/Audi did it years ago with their 2.0T. IMO, it has long been one of the best small engines on the market. They even managed to do a good job on their 2.0TDI diesel version.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
To a large extent, VW/Audi did it years ago with their 2.0T. IMO, it has long been one of the best small engines on the market. They even managed to do a good job on their 2.0TDI diesel version.

Yes VW/Audi was early with acceptably refined turbo4's.

Mercedes is slightly smoother and quieter in C-classes, I've actually driven both extensively, both at redline.

Black Dynamite

Follower
Reactions
1. I wouldn't expect to see it in The States until next spring, after Detroit.
2. Considering how well it is selling right now, I don't see any reason to kill the V6. It offers unique smoothness in this 4-banger segment, and will give buyers who want more a reason to upgrade.
3. Personally, I'd offer the $36k IS250, the $39k IS 200t and the $42k IS350 as the three trims.

People will pay more for the turbo, so why not charge more? It would be bad business if they didn't. If Lexus sales were dipping this year, that would be different, but sales have remained strong. More speed costs you more green. That's fair.
BD

Black Dynamite

Follower
Reactions
One more thing. IF Lexus is really focusing on pumping up sales in Q4 to finish #1 in luxury sales, it may come out this fall. I don't think that's the case, and next Spring would mark 3 years since it was introduced.

Plus, they have the revised ES and all-new RX at the end of this year to close out a strong 2015. I expect them to wait.
BD

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
In my area (D.C. suburbs), the IS250AWD sells like hotcakes (better than the RWD version)...though, admittedly, mostly by people not particularly interested in power or performance.

sure... i bet IS300 AWD will sell even more, since it is a lot nicer engine due to more power and torque.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Please bring it in a manual!

Lexus tried a manual in the original IS300, and couldn't keep it in production more than a year or two because of poor sales....there just weren't many takers. Of course, the IS, as a product line, has become a lot more popular today than back then, so a manual option just might work in some areas where there isn't lot of dense traffic.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Lexus tried a manual in the original IS300, and couldn't keep it in production more than a year or two because of poor sales....there just weren't many takers. Of course, the IS, as a product line, has become a lot more popular today than back then, so a manual option just might work in some areas where there isn't lot of dense traffic.

manuals are dying in luxury vehicles, even in europe... usually these days people buy them because it is cheaper not because they want to be faster (europe)

Bulldog 1

Follower
Reactions
Good Find, Gecko. :)

I myself prefer V6s for refinement (and I formerly had an IS300, myself, with a super-refined 3.0L in-line six). But, I guess the more conservative guys like me might as well accept the fact that CAFE rules and smaller engine compartments are dictating the use of more and more in-line turbo 4s. Like it or not, it's the wave of the future, especially in 2-liter displacement, which seems to be an increasingly common size. And, to be fair and objective, there are some excellent turbo 4s on the market.....VW/Audi, especially, has had a 2.0T I've liked for years. But, with turbos, it also means more expensive full-synthetic oil and oil-changes. Some turbos, even with good service and regular oil changes, still don't last the life of the engine from the stresses and heat they produce....though modern turbo engineering and improvements in lubrication have done a good job of extending their available life.
Naw... you don't have to accept it.
I've rejected BTW, Audi, Mercedes-Benz and Infiniti specifically because I don't want to drive a 4 cylinder anything.
I still own my American muscle car with a V8 pushrod engine.
Ultimately, I'm willing to trade a little bit of HP for the RWD V6 and nice gas mileage.

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
Yes, as expected. Matching the refinement and NVH of the 60 degree V6 w/small displacement balance shaft turbo4 is challenging, but not impossible. Mercedes is doing it, I expect Lexus can too.

I can tell you with certainty the Lexus 2 L Turbo 4 cyl as per my experience with the NX is as buttery smooth and quiet as the 4GR-FSE. In fact, the smoothest 4 cylinder ever experienced (Hondas, Toyotas, etc.) Very impressive from an NVH standpoint. :)

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
I can tell you with certainty the Lexus 2 L Turbo 4 cyl as per my experience with the NX is as buttery smooth and quiet as the 4GR-FSE. In fact, the smoothest 4 cylinder ever experienced (Hondas, Toyotas, etc.) Very impressive from an NVH standpoint. :)

Exactly what it takes to be in a premium car, and why it can replace old 2.5V6. More power, better fuel economy and same NVH, smooth revving to redline are all necessary traits for these engines/cars.

The regular Honda and Toyota 4 bangers are all unacceptable from NVH standpoint in a premium car.

Last edited:
Reactions
Please bring it in a manual!

Yes, offering a manual isn't a big market, but there will be those who would want one...it would make sense to offer it only in a F-Sport configuration if they are concerned about the costs.

Reactions

manuals are dying in luxury vehicles, even in europe... usually these days people buy them because it is cheaper not because they want to be faster (europe)
Hmmm...obviously BMW & Audi still offer it, as do the new Jaguar XE and upcoming Alfa Giulia...the market is still bigger in Europe than here in North America. But like we said, a manual transmission comes down to the bean counters at ToMoCo.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Yes, offering a manual isn't a big market, but there will be those who would want one...it would make sense to offer it only in a F-Sport configuration if they are concerned about the costs.

You get some brownie points. Actually, that's not a bad idea.......F-Sport only, or maybe as an F-Sport no-cost or special-order option. Might want to suggest that to our Lexus rep. ;)

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I've rejected BTW, Audi, Mercedes-Benz and Infiniti specifically because I don't want to drive a 4 cylinder anything.

To some extent, I agree with you, but have you sampled the Audi 2.0T in-line four...a design that has been around a number of years, but, IMO, is still excellent? I don't think you will be disappointed. ;)

I still own my American muscle car with a V8 pushrod engine.

It will be interesting to see how long normally-aspirated, pushrod V8s will last in those muscle-cars. Already there are signs that turbo V6s will be in at least some of their futures as replacements.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
:);)
To some extent, I agree with you, but have you sampled the Audi 2.0T in-line four...a design that has been around a number of years, but, IMO, is still excellent? I don't think you will be disappointed. ;)

How does that actually work.? Didn't you recently acquire (another) regular normally aspirated 4 banger? Or did we miss something? Post a pic. ;):)

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Hmmm...obviously BMW & Audi still offer it, as do the new Jaguar XE and upcoming Alfa Giulia...the market is still bigger in Europe than here in North America. But like we said, a manual transmission comes down to the bean counters at ToMoCo.

in Europe, most people buy manual BMWs because it is $2500 cheaper than automatic, and they are buying base fleet version of the vehicle. I just checked on largest german car sales site, and out of 1500 new 5 series listed, only 63 are manuals and then only 5-6 are not base models.

Joe

Premium Member
Reactions
in Europe, most people buy manual BMWs because it is $2500 cheaper than automatic, and they are buying base fleet version of the vehicle. I just checked on largest german car sales site, and out of 1500 new 5 series listed, only 63 are manuals and then only 5-6 are not base models.
In some European countries it's even 'worse': competitors' base fleet models are sometimes 1.6 diesel engines with 115 hp + a huge discount. That's the biggest volume and way out of Lexus' range. Of course, playing with the biggest sellers here in Europe would mean sacrificing the exclusivity of Lexus. Complete other market positioning than in the U.S.