James

Founding Member
Reactions
So you can get an S4 for 349 HP and a V6 and go 0-60 in 4.4 or a IS 500 F Sport with 472HP and a V8 and go 0-60 in 4.5...yeah give me the V8 all day! Besides lack of AWD vs RWD I think this will go very well for Lexus. Up here in IL I can see people leaning with the Audi but Lexus should be happy with this!

GNS

Follower
Reactions
Ah thanks! That's why I love this site! Smarter people than me who can answer questions about things I have no knowledge on!

I wonder if there will be this F-Sport IS500 RWD with the V8, and another F-Sport IS500 AWD with a different powertrain (V35A-FTS). Lexus has done it before, with the IS300 RWD having a 2.0T and the IS300 AWD using the 2GR-FKS.

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
So you can get an S4 for 349 HP and a V6 and go 0-60 in 4.4 or a IS 500 F Sport with 472HP and a V8 and go 0-60 in 4.5...yeah give me the V8 all day! Besides lack of AWD vs RWD I think this will go very well for Lexus. Up here in IL I can see people leaning with the Audi but Lexus should be happy with this!

RCF hit 0-60 mph in 4.1 seconds in C&D test (officially 4.2 seconds as per Lexus) so I assume it is going to be the same for this IS500 F-Sport. It won't be slower in a straight line. I think it is just for marketing since RCF is more expensive because of other reasons (brakes, suspension. carbon, TVD etc,).

Levi

Expert
Reactions
The powertrain 2UR only was designed for RWD. That is why I was thinking it would be 3.5 Liter V6 TT since it opens up the door for AWD.

From what I understand the UR engine was designed for AWD too. 2UR is a longer stroked version of 1UR. 1UR and 2UR (hybrid) had AWD in the LS (XF40). The GS (S190) had AWD only in combination with 2GR engine. I guess no AWD not to internally compete with the bigger brother. Both these cars including the IS (XE20) were built on N Platform.

I think it is the newer New N Platform on which are based IS (XE30), GS (L10) and RC (XC10) that was not built for AWD in combination with UR engine or maybe simply not developed because of declining sales. LS skipped New N Platform and went directly to GA-L.

Adding AWD to 2UR would make the car heavier, but not accelerate faster. GR is the only option for AWD and is not built for performance as the Germans do.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Personally, I am not interested in AWD for this car and am glad it's not a part of the package because of weight, complexity, price, MPG.

N/A V8 + RWD will be the last of an era. Period.

For what it's worth, I also think Lexus has seriously understated the performance figures. This car is down 500lbs compared to an LC 500 with the same motor, and LC 500 is quoted as 0-60 in 4.4. There is no way the IS 500 will be slower with that weight advantage.

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
Yes BMW has also done this before. The E90 335i (4.9s 0-100km/h) was too close to the M3 (4.4s) so they heavily under-rated its performance to 5.5s.

Lexus does not want to advertise a likely sub-$60k F-sport to be as fast as a 70k+ full F car.

That was a different case since M3 had about 100+ more HP. In this case, the cars have almost identical power-to-weight ratio. Same power and at 3891 lbs, it is almost the same weight as the RCF. It will be the same 0-60 mph and 1/4 mile as the RCF. Around 4.1 - 4.2 seconds and mid-12s quarter mile.

Last edited:

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
Can't wait for reviews. Unfortunately this car might kill RCF sales.

That is true. Most people like 4-door sedans and the track specific stuff RCF has (brembo brakes, forged BBS wheels etc.) that the IS500 F-Sport does not, does not mean much to 99% of the buyers. Most people just want lots of engine and this seems to be giving them that.

yiantony

Fan
Reactions
Pricing is the key. I speculate this car would start just below 60k. However, if Lexus wants to be more aggressive and pricing it at just above 50k, it would a killer to a lot of F sport competitors like S5.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
IS 350 F SPORT with the Lexus Dynamic Handling Package + Triple Beam LEDs is a $50k car, and that doesn't include Levinson, moonroof, or any other features.

IMO, we are probably looking at $58 - $62k base price for IS 500. I just don't see how it can cost less than that.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Pricing is the key. I speculate this car would start just below 60k. However, if Lexus wants to be more aggressive and pricing it at just above 50k, it would a killer to a lot of F sport competitors like S5.

Here in Europe a crappy FWD CUV with 4 cylinders cost 40K, some options not to look poverty and its over 50K.