Lexus UX (UX 200, UX 250h, 300e) Megathread

Reactions
Audi's system will end up being so ridiculed by the drivers that they will change it in 2-3 years. A4 30TFSI is slower than modern 2.5l NA engine, so it is just crazy that they are labeling it as such. It just no grounds in reality at all.
Yes they will change it but they probably will have to update it. Audi"s repair coincidence and repair costs are ridiculously high.

Rydo

Follower
Reactions
Don't worry CT isn't going anywhere!

Yeah, as in, not going from dealer lots as quickly as an all-new model would!

EDIT: I have to totally agree with the earlier statement regarding Lexus's inability to produce a good configurator - as a current example Lexus have 4LS photos showing accessories for the current LS on their UK site. That is criminal when they are trying to ask £100k for the vehicle.

Another good point - the UX just costs far too much. Top spec with all the stuff you'd want costs £45k here. A very nice barely used RX can be had for about the same and that's a totally different class altogether obviously. I know it's not in a carmakers prerogative to make a vehicle competitive with used examples - but it's just how I think about it.

Anecdotally speaking, the UX has sold very well here though. In 6 months of driving (about 5,000 miles), I have seen 15 or so on the roads. This seems ridiculously small, but in the UK, that's actually very good for any Lexus. Compare this with about 3 RXs in the same time. the NX is probably around the same but has been on the market for an awful lot longer.

The UX clearly has had some massive impact on the UK posting record Lexus sales for last year.

But Lexus as I keep complaining and have done earlier, should be building on this, and should be rushing a rebodied Corolla to the European market. The development shouldn't take that long or cost that much surely, yet the premium hatch market here is ridiculously big.

Last edited:

Will1991

Reactions

Lexus really is a bit stuck at the moment... (Pun intended)

This UX really keeps me surprised how well it sells...
Compared to main rivals it feels cramped, almost ridiculous boot space (due to HV traction battery on the Hybrid) and is a bit pricey...

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Honestly I feel the current UX will be a one only generation as the previous CT

And the newly announced Corolla Cross will take it's place but from the next generation aka second generation Corolla Cross

in short this Corolla Cross will live for short and will do the same role of the previous 11th gen. Corolla did with the CT

and from the next generation it will take the
CT role !, So that the 13th next generation Corolla will lux very much it's material quality to Lexus level to better compete with the A/1/A3

Last edited:

Jezza819

Follower
Reactions

Lexus really is a bit stuck at the moment... (Pun intended)

This UX really keeps me surprised how well it sells...
Compared to main rivals it feels cramped, almost ridiculous boot space (due to HV traction battery on the Hybrid) and is a bit pricey...

I love it. I live alone and the UX250h would be perfect for me. Probably 80% or more of my drive time is in the city doing short distance runs.

I got my current NX300 in December of 2019 and it's just not suited for my driving habits. Now during the summer months when I do go out of town a little bit, it's fine. But the UX would make those trips just fine too.

I'm hoping I can maybe get out of this NX lease this coming December but if not definitely December of 2021 and into a UX250h.

Will1991

Reactions
That's a really hard review... According to MT only the front seats are any good... Too harsh in my opinion!

Nontheless, in my opinion this car should be a hybrid only affair. It just suits it better than the 200 powertrain.

Reactions
That's a really hard review... According to MT only the front seats are any good... Too harsh in my opinion!

Nontheless, in my opinion this car should be a hybrid only affair. It just suits it better than the 200 powertrain.
I agree the hybrid powertrain would be the preferred way to buy one; just for the price IMO, I would rather spend that extra for an NX which offers better utility. I guess UX buyers aren't concerned about how fast they go and likely focus on the ownership experience instead.

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
I noticed when the UX was introduced, that the way the trim levels and powertrain options were offered, that the hybrid model was the default, base model, and the gasoline model was the discount, "stripper" model.

mikeavelli

Reactions
I noticed when the UX was introduced, that the way the trim levels and powertrain options were offered, that the hybrid model was the default, base model, and the gasoline model was the discount, "stripper" model.

To me the hybrid makes all the sense.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
In most markets UX200 is only offered with a stripped out base trim and an overpriced F-sport trim. It's set up that way to deliberately direct customers to the 250h to help CAFE.

TMC has met some resistance in certain markets (mostly NA) to increase share of hybrids in its total sales. Their solution is to deliberately make gasoline models undesirable or outright offer hybrid-only products.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
TMC has met some resistance in certain markets (mostly NA) to increase share of hybrids in its total sales. Their solution is to deliberately make gasoline models undesirable or outright offer hybrid-only products.

How do you mean? From the Toyota and Lexus dealers I talk to, hybrids have been their best selling and most desirable cars over the last year or two. To quote one Lexus dealer, "Hybrids are selling as they come off the truck - it doesn't even matter what hybrid it is. If it's hybrid, it's sold. We can't sell enough of them."

I hear very similar things about every Toyota hybrid.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Regarding the UX... this is probably my American POV, but it is just such a badly compromised car that it's great at nothing aside from maybe MPG with the 250h powertrain.

I know these lower rooflines and chopped down D-pillars help reduce drag and look "sporty," but they also drastically eat into head and cargo space, which is a big part of why people buy CUVs over cars. You go look at a "crossover" and pop the hatch to see less cargo space than you would get in a comparable sedan and it's like....???why???

Also factor in ground clearance that is only fractionally higher than an IS or ES, and neither engine even cracks 185hp... it is all wrong.

For it's footprint, the UX does feel very small to me - due to poor packaging, at least for this market where people want cargo space and "macho" looks. The rear seat is almost impossible, the cargo area could barely accommodate a grocery run and headroom isn't great. Just like the C-HR, the UX is the wrong product for this market which is fine because they were not primarily developed for North America. It is also why Toyota is bringing the Corolla Cross here this year, and I think Lexus should do something similar to replace the UX or call it second gen UX here in the States.

I have wondered if the mystery CUV from the Direct4 video could be something like a UX replacement for markets where it has been unsuccessful. I know I've said it a few times, but I think Lexus "best" product line for SUVs would be something like:

"Rugged": ?X > GX > LX (?X = Compact sized, upright crossover but with rugged design like the Lexus version of a Bronco Sport)
"Sporty/Versatile:" UX > NX > RX > TX
Premium Style/Performance: RZ > LF-1 Limitless (LZ?)

I still very much see a place for a CUV under the NX, but UX is not the right vehicle to occupy that spot here in North America. Notice how the second gen Audi Q3 became more upright with a taller greenhouse vs 1st gen, and the X1 has always had more traditional CUV proportions vs. looking like a wagon with an extra inch of ground clearance, like the UX. That is the right approach here.

Will1991

Reactions
I have wondered if the mystery CUV from the Direct4 video could be something like a UX replacement for markets where it has been unsuccessful. I know I've said it a few times, but I think Lexus "best" product line for SUVs would be something like:

I’ve been considering all the possibilities for that CUV concept, It seems to have a relatively speaking low front end (around UX height) and from the last teaser it seems a smaller car (again, around UX).
Considering some older rumors about a 2022 2CT becoming Lexus first BEV (we know UX300e was rushed and some sort of compromise to deliver a BEV ASAP).
If you look into those losers renders I can see some similarities...

And sadly it’s confirmed, EQA250e has better specs at a lower price...

Can it be the long rumored 2CT BEV with a crossover look (to help with battery implementation) as a Model 3 competitor? Genesis is bringing a JW BEV based on the Ioniq 5, BMW is bringing a 3 series BEV...

Perhaps Lexus will have two BEV’s, this some sort of 2CT and that bigger prototype shown on the Direct4 presentation. This way Lexus would have a huge BEV market with only 2 models.

As far as the UX goes, for 2021 cargo space improved slightly so Lexus IS hearing its costumers and the UX300e has 7cm more of legroom.

Last edited:

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
I know these lower rooflines and chopped down D-pillars help reduce drag and look "sporty," but they also drastically eat into head and cargo space, which is a big part of why people buy CUVs over cars. You go look at a "crossover" and pop the hatch to see less cargo space than you would get in a comparable sedan and it's like....???why???

Honestly one idea I've had in my head recently is that the UX was not originally designed to be a crossover. From the side profile, it quite literally looks like it was designed as a sedan especially with the window line, very reminiscent of a Corolla, with the C-Pillar lengthened later in the design process. IDK.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
How do you mean? From the Toyota and Lexus dealers I talk to, hybrids have been their best selling and most desirable cars over the last year or two. To quote one Lexus dealer, "Hybrids are selling as they come off the truck - it doesn't even matter what hybrid it is. If it's hybrid, it's sold. We can't sell enough of them."

I hear very similar things about every Toyota hybrid.
Their hybrids are certainly growing. But the percentage is still low. In EU/JDM they are almost 100% hybrid and ChDM close to 40%. In NA it's less than 20%? TMC's goal is 5 million hybrids by 2025. To achieve that at least 50% of NA sales need to be hybrids.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Their hybrids are certainly growing. But the percentage is still low. In EU/JDM they are almost 100% hybrid and ChDM close to 40%. In NA it's less than 20%? TMC's goal is 5 million hybrids by 2025. To achieve that at least 50% of NA sales need to be hybrids.

simply because in US people care less about price of gas and they were too expensive... new ones are not that much more expensive than gasoline, that is why they sell so well in USA now. But to sell a lot better, they need to expand it to more vehicles - mainly trucks.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Regarding the UX... this is probably my American POV, but it is just such a badly compromised car that it's great at nothing aside from maybe MPG with the 250h powertrain.

yes, it is not really build for NA market. Sells pretty ok there considering what it is.
But yes, it is now the best selling Lexus in EU and yes, it is freaking expensive here.