Toyota Land Cruiser Megathread (300, 250, Prado, etc)

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Yes they need a new FJ and a J70 wagon successor. The J70 can't go on forever because emissions.

The 4Runner/LCP will keep growing in size. They are already similar to J80. Next-gen will probably grow to J100 size.

Toyota's future BOF line really is anyone's guess because of consolidation of four platform into a common TNGA-F.

honestly guys i see it much more better to have a perfect one common platform and spread it
i don't think that the 4Runner or Prado will grow that much
but here's the twist and i told it before
what if the J300 and next Prado go to other path
imagine the J300 as a G class competitor with the next Prado as Bronco / Wrangler competitor
that will give a lot of space to sell all of them together
it will give the space for LX to be the Sequoia twin while making the GX as the current LX / LC200 size leaving another space for another third BOF Lexus to be in the size of the current GX

on the other hand Toyota will have
Sequoia / Tundra
then
4Runner / Tacoma
then
Fortuner / Hilux

as the Toyota twins for LX / GX / ?X respectively
and that gives Toyota the space to consolidate the FJ70 to a total new Range from the Full-Size to Small if they want

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
The Prado will never be a hardcore off-roader because of its intended demographics. There's not enough space for three BOF SUVs in Lexus lineup. Two is already questionable. So if GX stays it will still be a badge engineered Prado.

4Runner is in an awkward spot since it's based on the Prado but had to also fill the hardcore niche because FJ was discontinued. It was not the optimal product for that role. It's better to grow it to have a usable third row.

My entire assumption is Toyota WILL make a successor to the FJ. So in my idealized lineup:

Sequoia/Tundra/LX
Prado/4Runner/GX
Hilux "Comfort"/Tacoma/Fortuner/Innova
Then the Land Cruiser itself is downsized to the size class of FJ and replaces J70 Wagon. The Hilux will have a "Utility" variant designed for high payload. While in the highest GVM class the Tundra replaces J70 Pick-up and becomes an international model.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Customer's ignorance? From a marketing perspective, the customer had a choice of either the Lexus or Toyota, with the Lexus being a few thousand bucks more. Luxury customers don't care as much about the 'heritage' thing that the LC was, which the enthusiasts know about. They care more about being pampered, and that was why the Lexus LX was more successful than the Land Cruiser.

If you want to point fingers, its Toyota USA. Our LCs didn't need to have all that luxury, because that was the LX's job. Toyota Australia had it better than we did, because they still get the older LC79? and more basic versions of the LC that were more true to its roots.

Land Cruiser has been a luxury vehicle for many decades now. Even in markets where you have much cheaper editions, they are still very expensive vehicles despite lack of equipment. Prado has taken the mantle of down to earth Land Cruiser, that is reasonably priced when at base level of equipment (still plenty expensive).

So there is nothing wrong with Toyota not selling one in the US where they have LX, 4runner and Sequoia. Understand that it is never affordable vehicle, anywhere in the world.

I think smaller version such as FJ would be great at these times, and it would be well received worldwide. None of current Land Cruisers are meant for fun off-roading due to sheer size and weight, all are meant to take you to remote places where there are terrible roads and where they need to do that year after year.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
I think smaller version such as FJ would be great at these times, and it would be well received worldwide. None of current Land Cruisers are meant for fun off-roading due to sheer size and weight, all are meant to take you to remote places where there are terrible roads and where they need to do that year after year.

A new FJ with real off-road capability would likely be a big hit right now (look no further than the Bronco). Cancelling that when everyone knew there was an SUV craze building was one of TMC's worst ideas recently.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
A new FJ with real off-road capability would likely be a big hit right now (look no further than the Bronco). Cancelling that when everyone knew there was an SUV craze building was one of TMC's worst ideas recently.

it just came at wrong time, decision not to renew it was made during worst financial crisis years.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
it just came at wrong time, decision not to renew it was made during worst financial crisis years.
It also had awkward design (poor packaging and abysmal visibility). Plus is not a real upgrade over the 4Runner which is based on a one generation newer chassis. The only thing the FJ had over 4Runner was shorter overhangs. This shouldn't be a surprise since FJ was just a design study but rushed to market with just 4 years of development.
These are mistakes they could learn from. Jeep and Ford already show how to do this properly.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
I think I've mentioned a time or two that I like the V35A 😆 . I do think TMC needs to own that the LS isn't for Grandma anymore and tune it more aggressively, especially at the low end. (The new S-Class appears to be an even more extreme break with that older segment, but we'll see). It's fabulous on the highway - smooth as silk, and no problems when you want to pass someone, even at triple-digit MPH. (Kids, don't do that).

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I was helping a friend car shop over the weekend and was not aware that a lot of Sequoias sticker north of $63-64k, and the Platinum models can go for close to $80k. Considering that and the fact that a next gen is around the corner, it's pretty hard to justify the existence of both a Sequoia and a Land Cruiser as 3 row luxury SUVs (as optioned at those prices).

I still think there's a place for a "Land Cruiser" to come back as a spiritual successor to the FJ or something like a Toyota Bronco, but as the Land Cruiser 200 existed in execution recently... yeah... redundant with a new Sequoia coming soon.

Will1991

Reactions
Apparently, this is a LC300:

744x0-0-autohomecar-Chs-Ev-V-g-Xl6-AEli-AAH9e-Cx-q-KY570.jpg

Source: https://creative311.com/?p=108789&page=2

@Gecko, I updated this post to be more complete and easier to find information.

Last edited:

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Per who? With those big wheels and fairly low looking ground clearance, that seems more likely to be a full size crossover than a Land Cruiser, IMO.

If it's a Toyota, maybe Crown CUV, LF-1, RX or TX? It just does not look at all like a Land Cruiser to me in proportions.

Motorsnwheels

Follower
Reactions
Are we sure? The silver one looks like a Lexus however the white one closest the camera looks like it could be an LC. From everything I read the LC was going back to its roots to off road oriented from luxury but all of these look luxury to me.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Are we sure? The silver one looks like a Lexus however the white one closest the camera looks like it could be an LC. From everything I read the LC was going back to its roots to off road oriented from luxury but all of these look luxury to me.

Covered, third one back :)