spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I am going to make the big general assumption this new engine will give us another one with less hp as a base engine. I just can't see development for a new tt V-8 to go in F models and it can't be detuned for normal models.

The Germans and even Cadillac do it. One engine tuned differently for different cars etc...

Sure... But I am assuming v8tt will be upgrade engine over v6tt, hence 90k comment and I don't see why would they make base v8 with much less power, as in do a v8 without tt.

It kind of feels like a lot of vehicles will end up with v8tt as upgrade option, like LF1, LX, LS, LC...

They will do similar thing with that 1.6 3c turbo from GR Yaris, they will end up putting it into many models.

James

Founding Member
Reactions
I for one wouldn't mind if they put a V8 in every car lol okay maybe a little crazy on that I guess the UX doesn't need one :)

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Sure... But I am assuming v8tt will be upgrade engine over v6tt, hence 90k comment and I don't see why would they make base v8 with much less power, as in do a v8 without tt.

It kind of feels like a lot of vehicles will end up with v8tt as upgrade option, like LF1, LX, LS, LC...

They will do similar thing with that 1.6 3c turbo from GR Yaris, they will end up putting it into many models.

The rumor for the "F" TTV8 is 625-650hp, and we know the V35A-FTS makes 416hp, so with a 200+ hp spread, there's definitely an opening. 500-530hp seems to be the "new normal" for luxury flagship models, so I can easily see Lexus launching a detuned version like that, as well as a higher output iteration for F vehicles. Just seems to make sense to me...?

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
The rumor for the "F" TTV8 is 625-650hp, and we know the V35A-FTS makes 416hp, so with a 200+ hp spread, there's definitely an opening. 500-530hp seems to be the "new normal" for luxury flagship models, so I can easily see Lexus launching a detuned version like that, as well as a higher output iteration for F vehicles. Just seems to make sense to me...?

maybe... for instance for what kind of cars would they do 2 versions of V8? Where does it make sense?

mikeavelli

Reactions
That’s what I am hoping for.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
maybe... for instance for what kind of cars would they do 2 versions of V8? Where does it make sense?

Most clearly between F and Non F models. V35A-FTS is a fine base engine for flagship products, but I’m not sure it’s going to be enough for LC (sporty) or LX (heavy). LS could certainly use more power as well.

There is definitely a market for both the power and smoothness of a ~500-540hp V8 under a full F product. The V35A-FTS is not enough engine for vehicles over 4,500lbs IMO, but 650hp is overkill.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Most clearly between F and Non F models. V35A-FTS is a fine base engine for flagship products, but I’m not sure it’s going to be enough for LC (sporty) or LX (heavy). LS could certainly use more power as well.

There is definitely a market for both the power and smoothness of a ~500-540hp V8 under a full F product. The V35A-FTS is not enough engine for vehicles over 4,500lbs IMO, but 650hp is overkill.

I'm curious to see if the hybridization/e-axle might help with low-end torque.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions

i guess it depends of the price of LS F? I am sure LX might not get a F version, just a big engine.

Otherwise, i think market in between is pretty small, especially with worldwide regulations... but it can be a good marketing for Lexus.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
i guess it depends of the price of LS F? I am sure LX might not get a F version, just a big engine.

Otherwise, i think market in between is pretty small, especially with worldwide regulations... but it can be a good marketing for Lexus.

I have heard that with the plan to move it further upmarket, the next LX will actually get an F model. Like the LX 570 S that was so popular in UAE, but built by Lexus instead of a distributor.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
I'd expect an LS F with the TTV8 to be $90-$100k base, which is a good-sized premium over stock but still very competitive with the S-Class. If the F starts off near-fully equipped (all F cars have the Luxury Package or equivalent) to make it a statement car $120k+ isn't out of the question.

Will1991

Reactions
This isn't exactly a stock engine, but I would bet it's a TT V8
89546021_10158090657607354_7475278651840266240_o.jpg

89939498_10158090657622354_5593161469484072960_o.jpg

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
As I noted in another thread, I can't help but wonder about LC F. Its new twin-turbo V8 is supposed to be unveiled in the LC racer Lexus will enter in the ADAC TOTAL 24 Hours of the Nürburgring race. That race, originally scheduled for late May, has been postponed to September 24-27 because of COVID-19. Will this delay affect the development and eventual production start of LC F? I fear it will. Worse, the newly downgraded Toyota finances and COVID-19 Recession (if not Depression) may well kill it as an unnecessary vanity project. Its possible salvation: maybe a variant of that twin turbo V8 is crucial to Toyota's North American truck future and the LC F and endurance racing will provide valuable development input for eventual higher-volume applications.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
As I noted in another thread, I can't help but wonder about LC F. Its new twin-turbo V8 is supposed to be unveiled in the LC racer Lexus will enter in the ADAC TOTAL 24 Hours of the Nürburgring race. That race, originally scheduled for late May, has been postponed to September 24-27 because of COVID-19. Will this delay affect the development and eventual production start of LC F? I fear it will. Worse, the newly downgraded Toyota finances and COVID-19 Recession (if not Depression) may well kill it as an unnecessary vanity project. Its possible salvation: maybe a variant of that twin turbo V8 is crucial to Toyota's North American truck future and the LC F and endurance racing will provide valuable development input for eventual higher-volume applications.

i dont think this will be true. If you check TMC financials released few days ago, they increased R&D spending and they expect profit to be affected this year only. They are definitely not backing down from their investments.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Again that will be the best time for any luxury product

I believe the mid / full size luxury auto category will expand at least 5% from feb.2019 to 5 years after