Next Generation Toyota 4Runner, TNGA-F

Which vehicle set needs to be redesigned first?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
As we all know next year will bring a new Land Cruiser and Tundra.

What I am curious about are the nameplates 4Runner and Tacoma as I have gotten resettled back in the United States for quite a while.

As we can see it is going to be a tricky bet for Toyota to comfortably redesign a multitude of body-on-frame product by the end of 2023. It has been thought some vehicles could be merged or killed off in favor of one or the other.

As it stands:

2019:

2020 4Runner refresh, 2020 Tacoma facelift, 2020 Tundra mini-update, 2020 Sequoia mini-update, 2020 LC200 Heritage Edition

January 2020 to December 2020:

0 redesigns and refreshes, minor additions only in Nightshade and Trail Editions

January 2021 to December 2021:

All new 2022 Land Cruiser (for non-USA?) and all-new 2022 Tundra pickup.

January 2022 to December 2022:

All new Sequoia, built at TMMTX.

New 4Runner?

After that, it's gets rather vague.

I had read an end of production date for the current, Tacoma for June 30, 2022. That date is no longer valid as it was removed.

As far as I see it, I am still not confident Toyota can manage redesign of multiple products on the same architecture so close to each other.

TNGA-K debuted on the Camry in July 2017, but nothing else on that architecture appeared in 2017. Next GA-K vehicle was the Avalon in June 2018, ES and RAV4 appeared late 2018.

Prius launched TNGA-C in December 2015, while the GA-C vehicle, C-HR, launched in January 2017. Next set appeared in mid-2018 and December 2018 via new Corolla vehicles and new UX.

Clearly there's a pattern in regards to staggered introductions.

My question is because the 4Runner is going to be 13 years old come October 2022 and in some sense, maybe 20 years old as N210 is quite similar.

Tacoma will be 7 years, 1 month on the market in October 2022 since September 10, 2015 launch, plus heavily related to the truck introduced October 18, 2004 as a 2005 model.

Both are of priority, but which one do you think is more in need of attention? Which one makes more sense to you, for Toyota to redesign first?

Tacoma & IMV global vehicles (Hilux & SUV) or 4Runner and Prado/GX? They all can't be done the same year in 2022.

2023 Sequoia will also be demanding to manage in a new plant, so adding 2-3 more F vehicles will be a challenge, so some will be held back.

I would like you guys to participate in a poll deciding which vehicle (family) should come first. Thank you.
20200212_233431.jpg
toyota_4runner_nightshade.jpeg20200212_231935.jpg20200212_232054.jpg20200212_231803.jpgtoyota_hilux_double_cab_with_trd_accessories_5.jpegtoyota_fortuner_73.jpeg

Last edited:

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Anything to take away from LC timing? I think i've read it will be a departure from the LX, no? Can we expect LX around 2021?

Motorsnwheels

Follower
Reactions
My vote is on Tacoma, that seems to be their higher value/more sought after vehicle. All of Toyota’s body on frame vehicles are getting long in the tooth and it’s quite annoying. There’s no reason it should take them this long to get refreshed or redesigned vehicles out, not to mention they’ve been set back several times! Toyota can’t keep trying to sell vehicles strictly and simply based on its reliability reputation.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
The LCP/4Runner is older so they should come first. ChDM is a 70k/yr market for the LCP and that number will become zero by June 2020 since it could no longer meet the emissions target.

Losing to the new Ranger for a year or two will not make them suddenly lose 150k in USDM. Losing sales is better than being banned for sale outright.

BTW do you have confirmation the next Hilux and Tacoma are unified to a single model? The problem is that while the Hilux is smaller in physical size, it is midway between the Tacoma and Tundra in GCM and GVM. The trend in USDM trucks is towards coil sprung rear suspension for comfort and offroad capability, while in the rest of the world the Hilux needs to stay leaf sprung for payload capacity.

Will1991

Reactions
My bet goes to the Hilux/Tacoma/Fortrunner. They're cheaper and sell in good numbers, which may bring higher profits.

Prado/4Runner may have higher profit margins, but sell in much lower numbers.

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
Very few votes from what I can see. Oh well. I think one of my questions has been answered in spite of that.

Last edited:

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
The LCP/4Runner is older so they should come first. ChDM is a 70k/yr market for the LCP and that number will become zero by June 2020 since it could no longer meet the emissions target.

Losing to the new Ranger for a year or two will not make them suddenly lose 150k in USDM. Losing sales is better than being banned for sale outright.

BTW do you have confirmation the next Hilux and Tacoma are unified to a single model? The problem is that while the Hilux is smaller in physical size, it is midway between the Tacoma and Tundra in GCM and GVM. The trend in USDM trucks is towards coil sprung rear suspension for comfort and offroad capability, while in the rest of the world the Hilux needs to stay leaf sprung for payload capacity.

You might've won this round. Thank you @unnamed.

I definitely don't have such information, sorry. I find it to be hearsay for the time being. The engineering superiority that the Hilux has over the Tacoma cannot be negated and reeks of cost cutting, if they scale back on those things. Thanks to the information I have today, I have a good timeline now.

Last edited:

LexsCTJill

Follower
Reactions
he
You might've won this round. Thank you @unnamed.

I definitely don't have such information, sorry. I find it to be hearsay for the time being. The engineering superiority that the Hilux has over the Tacoma cannot be negated and reeks of cost cutting, if they scale back on those things. Thanks to the information I have today, I have a good timeline now.

Curious? What are the engineering superiortiy/parts/design of the Hilux vs the Tacoma?

LexsCTJill

Follower
Reactions

What I am curious about are the nameplates 4Runner and Tacoma as I have gotten resettled back in the United States for quite a while.

As we can see it is going to be a tricky bet for Toyota to comfortably redesign a multitude of body-on-frame product by the end of 2023. It has been thought some vehicles could be merged or killed off in favor of one or the other.

As it stands:

2019:

2020 4Runner refresh, 2020 Tacoma facelift, 2020 Tundra mini-update, 2020 Sequoia mini-update, 2020 LC200 Heritage Edition

0 redesigns and refreshes, minor additions only in Nightshade and Trail Editions

New 4Runner?

I had read an end of production date for the current, Tacoma for June 30, 2022. That date is no longer valid as it was removed.

As far as I see it, I am still not confident Toyota can manage redesign of multiple products on the same architecture so close to each other.

TNGA-K debuted on the Camry in July 2017, but nothing else on that architecture appeared in 2017. Next GA-K vehicle was the Avalon in June 2018, ES and RAV4 appeared late 2018.

Prius launched TNGA-C in December 2015, while the GA-C vehicle, C-HR, launched in January 2017. Next set appeared in mid-2018 and December 2018 via new Corolla vehicles and new UX.

My question is because the 4Runner is going to be 13 years old come October 2022 and in some sense, maybe 20 years old as N210 is quite similar.

Tacoma will be 7 years, 1 month on the market in October 2022 since September 10, 2015 launch, plus heavily related to the truck introduced October 18, 2004 as a 2005 model.

Both are of priority, but which one do you think is more in need of attention? Which one makes more sense to you, for Toyota to redesign first?

Tacoma & IMV global vehicles (Hilux & SUV) or 4Runner and Prado/GX? They all can't be done the same year in 2022.

2023 Sequoia will also be demanding to manage in a new plant, so adding 2-3 more F vehicles will be a challenge, so some will be held back.

I would like you guys to participate in a poll deciding which vehicle (family) should come first. Thank you.
View attachment 3743
View attachment 3736View attachment 3739View attachment 3740View attachment 3737View attachment 3745View attachment 3742

I certainly hope Toyota does not move production to the United States. Part of the appeal for the 4Runner is that is an affordable, real SUV from the Toyota that is "Made in Japan"

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Hilux is just getting a refresh with updated 200hp+ diesel, so new Hilux will be 2-3 years away.

So logically, Prado should be first... i hope they go back to what made 120 great.

Reactions
I certainly hope Toyota does not move production to the United States. Part of the appeal for the 4Runner is that is an affordable, real SUV from the Toyota that is "Made in Japan"
IDK if I'd call $35-$50K affordable, but that's the going price for that segment. If only Land Cruisers were cheaper...

Reactions

As it stands:

2019:

New 4Runner?

View attachment 3743
View attachment 3736View attachment 3739View attachment 3740View attachment 3737View attachment 3745View attachment 3742
i say the Tacoma because the 4runer still holds its true authenticity in design, reliability, and its "Back to the roots" feel of the lack of technology and the original body on frame design. On top of that, many consumers still buy them due to it being the last SUV that defines an all-terrain vehicle and a decent daily driver. at the same time. The only thing I would improve is better gas mileage and add a 6 speed automatic. The Tacoma has always looked similar since its debut and it always had a lack of space between your head and the roof. I also don't like how they've moved production for the Tacoma in Mexico because they will be made with cheaper parts and Toyota is known for reliability, so I feel like they're killing their brand here. In other words, they should redesign the Tacoma and keep the 4runner the way it is because of its originality.