4th Generation Toyota Highlander (and Grand Highlander) Thread

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
These need to be in dealers now given the onslaught of new models already selling. I'm wondering why it is taking so long to get to market. Toyota only had a locked 2020 prototype at the auto show, and letting customers drive the 2019 model at the ride and drive.

There must be some sort of delay. Originally, Toyota said the gas 2020 Highlanders would start arriving at dealers at the end of the year, but I was at a Toyota dealer over the weekend and they don't even have pricing/order sheets yet.

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
From the moment I got the November 25th 2019 production date a few years ago, I had said that the 2020 Highlanders would not be available until likely January 2020.

Usually Toyota takes 6-8 weeks from Job 1 to sales launch. Sometimes it's up to 10 weeks.

The outgoing model entered production in December 2013 and was on dealer lots from February 2014, then facelift 2017 version from November 2016.

New Sienna has been delayed massively!

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
These need to be in dealers now given the onslaught of new models already selling. I'm wondering why it is taking so long to get to market. Toyota only had a locked 2020 prototype at the auto show, and letting customers drive the 2019 model at the ride and drive.

sure, it would be better if their model cycles are 4 yrs... but then they would lose money.
There is always a new model and those new models selling now were old or non existing year ago.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
wow
I like it
But
Why should anyone buy the RX over this, it has everything way better than the RX

fit & finish, building quality, material quality, better design, android auto / apple carplay, better resolution infotainment system

And for those always saying that the next NX and RX will be better than the RAV4 and Highlander respectively, I think they never saw the UX & CH-R head to head, they are built the same , same exact car with different style, that's the only thing in differentiation and that will be also the only thing for the upcoming NX and RX

Hm, how do you discern better fit and finish and build quality from the video there? Certainly not.
I mean CHR does not have anything better than UX, except for the price.

But Toyota is fine with people liking Toyota's, that is what they sell.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Hm, how do you discern better fit and finish and build quality from the video there? Certainly not.
I mean CHR does not have anything better than UX, except for the price.

But Toyota is fine with people liking Toyota's, that is what they sell.

What I mean exactly is that Toyota was in need as all Japanese mainstream car makers to up their own game in quality, fit and finish due to Hyundai/Kia and VW , those 3 crossed the imaginable line of the mainstream and the sub-lux. aka the premium, if Toyota remained as the past they won't sell a car for now.

and I agree with you that the CH-R doesn't have anything better than the UX, and that's exactly what I said, I don't want Toyota to be GM of the past or current VAG
Touareg, Atlas, Q7, Q8, Bentayga, Cayenne, Cayenne sport, Urus with one chassis which honestly made every model of them feel like they are missing something in comparison to the DBX for example
I hate copycats, UX and CH-R are just copycats with just external shell difference

flexus

Admirer
Reactions
What I mean exactly is that Toyota was in need as all Japanese mainstream car makers to up their own game in quality, fit and finish due to Hyundai/Kia and VW , those 3 crossed the imaginable line of the mainstream and the sub-lux. aka the premium, if Toyota remained as the past they won't sell a car for now.

and I agree with you that the CH-R doesn't have anything better than the UX, and that's exactly what I said, I don't want Toyota to be GM of the past or current VAG
Touareg, Atlas, Q7, Q8, Bentayga, Cayenne, Cayenne sport, Urus with one chassis which honestly made every model of them feel like they are missing something in comparison to the DBX for example
I hate copycats, UX and CH-R are just copycats with just external shell difference
I agree all but Hyundai/Kia are still cheap brands

spwolf

Expert
Reactions

I like UX/CHR combo, because they are well done vehicles.

Hyundai went cheap with their small CUVs so it is nothing comparable really.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Ok forgive my Hyundai/Kia thing it's just my view , I was just talking about the concept

Approximately most of the mainstream becoming premium

I am talking in Europe
Ford , Opel , Peugeot "508", Citroen , Skoda "Superb & new Octavia"

Honestly even Ford in USA

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
The overall increase in interior quality is the result of good economy when these cars were being designed. Car manufacturers are playing a very dangerous game here since they are relying on high buying power to sell those 'sub-premium' products. Honda is a very good example: they significantly upscaled in the past three years and now they are barely breaking even. I expect a lot of products to regress in quality when the recession hits.

mikeavelli

Reactions

Pricing announced.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
I like it
Let's dream we will have the same exterior but moving the rear axle more to the rear and the front axle little bit to the front, decreasing the side creases give it the hybrid with the 3.5 V6 make it FR , give it's front a spindle grille instead of that Subaru's, then you will have the most beautiful and capable RX to go head 2 head with the X5/X6 , Q7/Q8 , GLE/GLE coupe , Cayenne/Cayenne sport , Levante , etc

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Are those the Rav4 Limited/XLE Premium wheels? They look really nice on the Highlander, but I really like that wheel anyway.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Of all of the TNGA redesigned models, this one seems to be getting the tamest reviews. The verdict seems to be that it's a predictable evolution.

I don't think that's a bad thing because I've always been a big fan of the current one. But I do wish it looked a little more "butch," maybe like a larger Rav4.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Agree on larger RAV4 thing
Honestly the other main fatal mistake in Toyota and Lexus not having the same identity among all the lineup

Everyone have totally complete different exterior, interior started to get the same line though, especially if you see TNGA Toyota models
Corolla with its 5 shapes, Yaris, RAV4 & Avalon

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I want to see hybrid setup... Seems to have 2kwh battery, which would be biggest so far in Toyota hybrid and explains why everyone thinks it is as fast as v6.

If they just put RAV4 hybrid into Highlander, it would be closer to Prius than v6.

This is definitely coming to RX around the world, and possibly new NX