internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
^ True. I am willing to buy a $70k and up Lexus AWD BEV but not any LSF, LC500, RCF, etc. No matter how much I want these nice Lexus vehicles, my brain keeps telling me to wait for a BEV hopefully with torque vectoring as it will be a fabulous ride and will handle much better with electric motors.

Gasoline savings will pay for dealership servicing and extended warranty.

Reactions
Depends on the market. In Europe "BEV all of the things" works. In the US, "F-model all of the things" works (it's certainly not hurting Merc/AMG).

Probably not hurting BMW/Msport, Audi/RS, Jaguar/SVR either. Yet, they've all managed to bring attractive BEVs to markets where those cars have more traction.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Can anyone who speaks the language clarify on the translation around the 11:00 mark?
Around 11:05 he says:
"Concretely speaking, we will introduce the first Lexus EV model next month and start selling it in 2020. Then, PHV and pure EV will follow in the early half of the 2020s."

What does this mean? How do you announce the first lexus EV next month and start selling it in 2020, but then go on to distinguish the PHV and "pure EV" from it?

Does that mean they're not going to consider PHV and BEVs as the only category of "Lexus EV"? More likely i am misunderstanding or being nitpicky about the translation.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Can anyone who speaks the language clarify on the translation around the 11:00 mark?
Around 11:05 he says:
"Concretely speaking, we will introduce the first Lexus EV model next month and start selling it in 2020. Then, PHV and pure EV will follow in the early half of the 2020s."

What does this mean? How do you announce the first lexus EV next month and start selling it in 2020, but then go on to distinguish the PHV and "pure EV" from it?
Though my understanding of Japanese consists of only a handful of loose words, here's my interpretation:

"first Lexus EV model next month and start selling it in 2020.": This is probably the UX 300e, a derivative of the current UX but without a gasoline engine and propelled purely by batteries.

"Then, PHV" Lexus' first Plug-In Hybrid. My hunch is that it's probably a variant of the next-generation NX.

"pure EV will follow in the early half of the 2020s.": "Pure EV" means a vehicle built on the upcoming battery electric-only e-TNGA architecture, as opposed to a BEV adapted from an existing combustion engine architecture like the UX 300e.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Though my understanding of Japanese consists of only a handful of loose words, here's my interpretation:

"first Lexus EV model next month and start selling it in 2020.": This is probably the UX 300e, a derivative of the current UX but without a gasoline engine and propelled purely by batteries.

"Then, PHV" Lexus' first Plug-In Hybrid. My hunch is that it's probably a variant of the next-generation NX.

"pure EV will follow in the early half of the 2020s.": "Pure EV" means a vehicle built on the upcoming battery electric-only e-TNGA architecture, as opposed to a BEV adapted from an existing combustion engine architecture like the UX 300e.

Awesome, makes total sense, thanks!

Rydo

Follower
Reactions
Sorry to dig up this thread again, but I don't think Americans realise just how important a car this could be for Lexus in Europe.

Here, if you see a Lexus on the road, it's 90% likely to be a UX/NX or CT. There are very few other Lexus on the road. The CT is a dinosaur now, and in Europe, the premium hatchback is king. Any supermarket carpark is littered by Audi A3s, BMW 1-Series, Audi A1s and Mercedes A-Class. I am aware that a couple of those vehicles aren't even available in the USA, which again, reflects my point that a lot of Americans simpyl don't 'get' this vehicle.

I said it when the Lexus LF-SA debuted and I'll say it again, a small premium hatchback won't go amiss here in the UK. The above offerings from the Germans are massive money spinners for them. Lexus's CT as I say as very long in the tooth now, even with some nice styling facelifts along the way.

Like someone as said earlier in the comments...why 2030. What is the point in that? Why even bother? Lexus needs this car NOW in Europe. There is a huge market for it if looks good enough and is hybrid/BEV. A toned down version of this concept would be a huge hit here.

But then again, why have a huge hit when you could have a clay model and a load of marketing baloney about the boring autonomous 2030s....

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Sorry to dig up this thread again, but I don't think Americans realise just how important a car this could be for Lexus in Europe.

Here, if you see a Lexus on the road, it's 90% likely to be a UX/NX or CT. There are very few other Lexus on the road. The CT is a dinosaur now, and in Europe, the premium hatchback is king. Any supermarket carpark is littered by Audi A3s, BMW 1-Series, Audi A1s and Mercedes A-Class. I am aware that a couple of those vehicles aren't even available in the USA, which again, reflects my point that a lot of Americans simpyl don't 'get' this vehicle.

I said it when the Lexus LF-SA debuted and I'll say it again, a small premium hatchback won't go amiss here in the UK. The above offerings from the Germans are massive money spinners for them. Lexus's CT as I say as very long in the tooth now, even with some nice styling facelifts along the way.

Like someone as said earlier in the comments...why 2030. What is the point in that? Why even bother? Lexus needs this car NOW in Europe. There is a huge market for it if looks good enough and is hybrid/BEV. A toned down version of this concept would be a huge hit here.

But then again, why have a huge hit when you could have a clay model and a load of marketing baloney about the boring autonomous 2030s....

The LF-30 is not LF-SA. In fact they are opposite sides of the lineup.

Rydo

Follower
Reactions
The LF-30 is not LF-SA. In fact they are opposite sides of the lineup.

At what point in my post did I say that the LF-30 and LF-SA were the same?...🤨

They aren't really 'opposite' sides. The Audi A1 and Audi A3 aren't really 'opposite'. One is a bit bigger than the other.

My point was, Lexus are pointing a gun at themselves yet again by having a completely noncompetitive offering in the lux-hatch market.