krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
19-08-29-lexus-lx-toyota-land-cruiser.jpg

Jonny Lieberman from Motor Trend is claiming that Toyota will no longer sell the Land Cruiser in the USA after 2022, preferring to focus on the Lexus LX:

Why? Well, at $86,000 [the Land Cruiser is] expensive and hard to sell. Especially because Toyota has spent ZERO DOLLARS marketing their best product for several decades straight. 3,000 or so people a year buying a hand built, over-engineered, off road luxury masterpiece apparently ain’t enough.
And that’s not even the real reason. The Lexus LX570 is essentially the same vehicle and costs more (i.e. it is more profitable). Why not sell 7,000 LX570s a year instead of 4,000?

Toyota has issued a statement saying that no decision has been made regarding the Land Cruiser, but this would be a shocking turn of events considering the heritage of the nameplate. The reasoning does fit...

Continue reading...

Reactions
Sad news: I made a video about this - LC is gone in 2022.
As a side note - crazy to think Lexus isn't turning a profit but it is believable. They can take many more chances with their luxury line. They struggle in Europe and are for sure losing money fighting an uphill battle against MB, BMW, and now Tesla. Conversely I wouldn't be surprised if they are quite profitable in the NA market, hence their recent announcement to expand to Mexico.

Deusex

Follower
Reactions
Not really surprising. I was wondering myself why people choose to buy LC instead of LX which is not really that much more expensive.

phoenixss

Fan
Reactions
wow... double ouch. No profit in 2 years. would explain why the ES is on the cheap side (cut corners)

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
He hasn't cited any sources on the profitability part which makes the credibility close to nil.

Reactions
He hasn't cited any sources on the profitability part which makes the credibility close to nil.
His sources are folks inside the company so I doubt you have any more credibility than he does since he actually does write for a major automotive publication, but what he has said so far is still hearsay. He isn't going to jeopardize someone's job. As it was mentioned, perhaps some of the new folks that are in Texas now have been changing the company's culture from how it was in California.

Last edited:

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
His sources are folks inside the company so I doubt you have any more credibility than he does since he actually does write for a major automotive publication, but what he has said so far is still hearsay. He isn't going to jeopardize someone's job. As it was mentioned, perhaps some of the new folks that are in Texas now have been changing the company's culture from how it was in California.

It doesn't matter who he is. What matters is how the information is reported. It can be as simple as saying 'an insider working in xx department provided me figures (rounded numbers to avoid too much detail)'. Way more credible than a casual post on instagram.

Reactions
It doesn't matter who he is. What matters is how the information is reported. It can be as simple as saying 'an insider working in xx department provided me figures (rounded numbers to avoid too much detail)'. Way more credible than a casual post on instagram.
Its a casual post, that's why its hearsay until Toyota does something official. Of course this isn't 100% foolproof, but if some media outlets are reporting this, the chances are high that it isn't pure speculation. Even ICON believes this. These days social media posts are often considered credible, just ask the POTUS.

phoenixss

Fan
Reactions
possibly the fact they are not making money lately (true or not) is because they have an accrued need to enhance their products lineup, something they have been somewhat lacking in recent years. Its not like every car have so much uniqueness to be so expensive, most share parts (Toyota and other Lexus) and software is nearly one size fits all. In addition Lexus is spending a lot of money on fancier sports cars, kind of growing outside its traditional highway cruiser.

thtupid

Fan
Reactions
it's funny coz the landcruiser sells pretty well in aus but not the LX. To my understanding anyway...we're gonna get a new gen and word on the street is that it may be a v6 derived from the LS.
Personally...if i had the money (and hated the GS-F)...I would get a diesel landcruiser sahara over a LX. For the amount saved i'd use it to either mod the truck or...spend it on the house. I sat in an LX just for fun when I was getting my IS washed...and it just doesn't feel special; it felt old with new bits tacked on. Bit like an 1800s cottage with a 100inch LCD tv inside. Of course it was supremely comfortable, well built and I really love the exterior. But no thanks.
But I guess i'm not in the market for a huge SUV...

phoenixss

Fan
Reactions
it's funny coz the landcruiser sells pretty well in aus but not the LX. To my understanding anyway...we're gonna get a new gen and word on the street is that it may be a v6 derived from the LS.
Personally...if i had the money (and hated the GS-F)...I would get a diesel landcruiser sahara over a LX. For the amount saved i'd use it to either mod the truck or...spend it on the house. I sat in an LX just for fun when I was getting my IS washed...and it just doesn't feel special; it felt old with new bits tacked on. Bit like an 1800s cottage with a 100inch LCD tv inside. Of course it was supremely comfortable, well built and I really love the exterior. But no thanks.

At least you can buy the Landcruiser, not available in Canada!!!! But the LX is, they would be the same price anyway.

Reactions
So petrol LCs were discontinued down under, but diesels are the main draw. Also helps that you can get them with cloth seats.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
This makes a decent amount of sense given the pricing overlap, and the fact that in the US SUVs in that class are now basically expected to be luxury, so taking the LC downmarket to differentiate the vehicles wouldn't work.

phoenixss

Fan
Reactions
Should they not retain the staple name, and make a silent reference to it into the Lexus brand (Landcruiser luXury or Elite...)

Landcruiser is more prestigious than the Lx in my opinion, given a choice i’d Buy a Landcruiser before an LX.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Maybe its just me but I'm not canceling ANY SUV. People line up to buy them no matter how old, new, good or bad.

The LandCruiser name is legendary. I will never EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER understand any company that gets rid of names with that much heritage. Good heritage too. You keep the name/you keep it going somehow. Companies would kill for model like the LandCruiser. It is a brand within itself. Some people will only buy a LC. I just could not imagine throwing away decades of heritage.

Maybe, just maybe there should be a rethink of the model where you challenge yourself to keep it going, keep it rugged and keep it coming.

And bring the FJ back too!

Not really surprising. I was wondering myself why people choose to buy LC instead of LX which is not really that much more expensive.

Not everyone wants to puff their chest out. Its a low key luxurious, capable, rare SUV. A lot of people want that in a sea of AWD Escalades. Its cool how many times in the LX another LC owner and I make eye contact and wave.

zeusus

Follower
Reactions

Any mainstream consumer can find 10 positive LX reviews for each negative, on youtube.

And DeMuro has dwindled his brand down to Youtube's Automotive Clickbait King

Hmmm....so here is a positive review to balance that isn't clickbait. FYI

Reactions: Den
Reactions
Any mainstream consumer can find 10 positive LX reviews for each negative, on youtube.

And DeMuro has dwindled his brand down to Youtube's Automotive Clickbait King

Hmmm....so here is a positive review to balance that isn't clickbait. FYI

IDK, I think Scotty Kilmer is just as clickbait as Doug...I think the look of the LX is very subjective and obviously Doug isn't in love with it (Likes the LC more), but of course, it might have really influenced the "Dougscore" of it. If anything to criticize, a new LC (just like a new GS, IS) needs to be on the market stat. The best test of a LC is in a rugged terrain, not Beverly Hills.

Will1991

Reactions
Doug is specially hard on Toyota's product line...

Even with a base 2019 Corolla it seemed like he was expecting some kind of Rolls Royce...