Transmission (downshift) issues with 2019 Lexus ES 350

Reactions
The transmission in my '19 ES 350 is apparently programmed to hold as high a gear as possible, for as long as possible - perhaps for EPA reasons? The problem it creates - at least for me - is it will not downshift to lower gears as one slows down - but not actually come to a full stop - (such as in city driving). Then when you need to accelerate to get back up to average speed, there is a hesitation dead spot. To get over the dead spot, by pushing the accelerator further, the transmission then will do a harsh downshift and rapid acceleration. This is not only frustrating, it is not mechanically good for the engine/transmission, and it certainly does not provide for a comfortable driving experience.

Has anyone else noticed this? Does anyone know if Lexus have a re-mapping fix available?

Thanks

Reactions: RAL

RAL

Reactions
I haven't noticed these issues with mine. I'd waste no time consulting the dealer about it if I was you. I had a similar issue with a 2007 ES I had. An easy software fix solved it then. Hope you can get satisfaction. Please keep us informed.

Reactions
I haven't noticed these issues with mine. I'd waste no time consulting the dealer about it if I was you. I had a similar issue with a 2007 ES I had. An easy software fix solved it then. Hope you can get satisfaction.
Thank you for the response. It's encouraging to believe there will be a software fix to remedy the matter. My first Lexus ES purchase was in 2005 and a similar issue happened at that time. After a few trips back and forth to the shop failed to resolve the matter - I finally gave up and swapped it back to them for a GS. The GS was fine. This time I considered buying the GS instead of another ES, but just didn't care that much for it - so pushed my luck and went for the ES. Hopefully I have better luck getting the transmission re-mapped this time. Lee

Reactions: RAL

RAL

Reactions
Thank you for the response. It's encouraging to believe there will be a software fix to remedy the matter. My first Lexus ES purchase was in 2005 and a similar issue happened at that time. After a few trips back and forth to the shop failed to resolve the matter - I finally gave up and swapped it back to them for a GS. The GS was fine. This time I considered buying the GS instead of another ES, but just didn't care that much for it - so pushed my luck and went for the ES. Hopefully I have better luck getting the transmission re-mapped this time. Lee
I wish you well. Keep us informed. My ES performs flawlessly ... and there is no good reason why yours shouldn't either!