Lexus Showcases Self-Driving LS Concept at Tokyo Motor Show

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
Lexus Showcases Self-Driving LS Concept at Tokyo Motor Show

17-10-24-lexus-ls-plus-concept-hero.jpg

The concept also showcases the future design direction for the Lexus brand.
View the original article post

Last edited:
Reactions: Den

Rydo

Follower
Reactions
What a surprise it was this morning to see this concept posted.

Anyone who has seen my posts on the LS thread knows my unbelievable disappointment with the new LS, and no, I haven't seen it in the flesh but that won't change my gripes with its almost facelift-like update.

The LF-FC changed the ball game dramatically, and over here in Scotland the motoring media who normally pan and ridicule Lexus as a Toyota with a fancy badge, sat up and took notice. The LF-FC had many people drooling.

Then the LS is shown, and the aggressive front is toned down, the rear is almost unrecognizable from the concept and the side profile is ugly as sin with it's silly C/D pillar arrangement.

Fast forward to this concept, and I was expecting the new UX as widely anticipated, but this shows up instead. It makes me feel great that Lexus are still hot on the heels of the design in terms of the more aggressive front and rear, but as was pointed out, it is almost like it has been bolted onto a current LS as the side-profile is almost exactly the same. That makes it seem odd.

However the updated front and rear are good in my books, initially hard to understand, but the more I look at it the more I like it.

The front lights have a whiff of LC about them in that triangular light enclosure.

I do think that Lexus should simplify things however and put the endlessly acclaimed LF-FC into production for the proper next-gen LS.

Last edited:

Rydo

Follower
Reactions
E1A27FD3-1DFE-44A1-9381-468D2C2D0524.jpeg B9B62FA3-05C1-4601-BCEB-51CB6EE9AAA1.png 59427D1E-3E98-4F5F-AE21-2E2CB366B3D3.png The vertical OLED bar sequential turn signals up front is definitely a really cool feature!

Also this aggressive sharp line in the grill mesh has really grown on me, it’s reslly different!

Rydo

Follower
Reactions
8A81AB0C-5BFC-4E41-A350-D210C8249AA3.jpeg 3CDC4E07-7735-49E8-AC7E-815FE6FE0F22.jpeg
Is this a LS or a car on top the LS? Remember rumors of a Maybach competitor?

I love the styling on this!

By the concept nomenclature I would assume it's going to be an additional model - think Prius and Plus PHEV with different features as well as styling changes.

The styling has really grown on me throughout today, can't get over how nice that crease in the grille is that I highlighted in the photos earlier.

Shown here is my comment about the triangular light cluster on LC and LS+.

supra93

Expert
Reactions
Big and bold.

Lexus took the wraps off the fifth-generation LS at the beginning of the year, but it’s already showing us how its fullsize luxury sedan could evolve in the next decade. Introduced today at the Tokyo Motor Show, the LS+ concept is a sight to behold thanks to its gargantuan spindle grille incorporating a shutter that not only helps with the cooling, but it also boosts aerodynamics.

The high-tech headlights look futuristic and employ laser technology for some of the functions to guarantee superior illumination. The luxobarge sits on large 22-inch alloy wheels and uses cameras instead of conventional mirrors to enable a sleeker side profile also enhanced by the recessed door handles that sit flush with the body.

Judging by the overall shape, it appears the concept is largely based on the latest LS, but with some significant changes at the front and rear fascias. It’s quite imposing due to its sheer size and we’re particularly fond of the full-width taillights that should look spectacular at night, though we will never know as the LS+ will remain a concept.

It doesn’t come as a big surprise that Lexus has decided to implement its latest and greatest autonomous driving systems. The fullsize premium sedan uses the firm’s “Highway Teammate” automated driving technologies that will be implemented on a production car as early as 2020. A model featuring this kit will be smart enough to facilitate automated merging, lane changes and diverging, along with keeping the vehicle in its lane and at a safe distance from the car in front.

The LS+ has the ability to learn new things without having to drive to a Lexus dealer thanks to over-the-air updates by communicating with a data center feeding it information about the road up ahead. The concept is not destined for production as it’s simply a technology showcase to preview features scheduled to arrive around the end of the decade.

https://www.motor1.com/news/184624/lexus-ls-concept-debut/

Last edited:

Rob Grieveson

Follower
Reactions
WOW! What a concept stunning hope it does not change too much when it becomes a reality. Confusing to launch before the new LS is really available though should have held back.
Could it be a model above the LS? Certainly has the looks for that and there is room to move up further i believe. Japan does not have an equivalent to the Maybach, Bentley or Rolls Royce and so why not - Toyota has the muscle to move to the top. The L motif in the centre of each wheel must always stay the right way up! ala Rolls. An umbrella as standard part of the equipment branded Lexus should already be offered with the new LS. And then there is the Bentley SUV to compete with as well - come on Lexus the world awaits your next arrival with much excitement.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
I do think that Lexus should simplify things however and put the endlessly acclaimed LF-FC into production for the proper next-gen LS.

Just to make sure: you know that the LF-FC was based on the 5LS, and not vice-versa? Yes, the LF-FC was shown in public first, but it actually represents the future direction of the new LS, not a pruned branch of evolution.

As for this new concept, I love it with the * that the back end looks a little like an Art & Science Caddy gone wild. I've said before that I think Art & Science is sort of a spiritual ancestor of L-Finesse, but this is a bit too on-the-nose for me. Everything about the front end is terrific though.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
i think most important part from LS concept is self driving part :).. thats only 2 years away and it will significantly change how autonomous system works - it will be able to overtake other cars and everything else that you might need on the highway.

Yuan

Fan
Reactions
Lexus really don't have to integrate the whole front into one desgin, like the headlights are literally fused with the front grilles. This concept lacks details in design, although the tech details are really well done.

And the C/D pillars really don't have to be executed like that, I can only hope Lexus will come with a LSF that should be copy-pasted from the LF-FC concept. I get why the LS500 have those pillars because of the longer wheel base, but the performance LSF should be short wheel base so the LF-FC kink design will work.

mordecai

Follower
Reactions
I love this three-dimensional application of the spindle grille. It looks like something that could see life in a next generation LFA, the nose shape is something you’d see in a “hypercar” or an “ultra luxury” car.

Did Lexus release any dimensions? I wonder if it has a longer wheelbase than the LS.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
i think most important part from LS concept is self driving part :).. thats only 2 years away and it will significantly change how autonomous system works - it will be able to overtake other cars and everything else that you might need on the highway.

Yeah. And the great part is that it's a relatively simple build on top of what's available in the first 5LS. Might even be a software upgrade to the existing 5LS.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Yeah. And the great part is that it's a relatively simple build on top of what's available in the first 5LS. Might even be a software upgrade to the existing 5LS.

not at all... it will require all new set of sensors as well as much beefier new computer (or set of computers). It requires complete upgrade and it will likely be very costly.

Now once they have this Highway Teammate, then they can probably do next step via software upgrade since it requires a lot better mapping, but likely not hardware.

So it will have new expensive sensors, new expensive computers, it will have to have 5G connection with much more precise local road mapping for it to work.