This Week: Driving the All New 2018 Lexus LS Flagship

ACEtheOG

Founding Member
Reactions
My sales guy gave me a shout this morning with news that they're taking delivery of their first LS hybrid today. It looks stunning in person and a lot smaller than I anticipated. I particularly like the front end - Spindle grill execution is getting better and better. For those interested, it is now the centrepiece at Lexus of Richmond Hill.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions

Great video thanks! This is the sort of technical stuff I've been waiting for, yet still this presentation only had partial details. Very frustrating for us Lexus fans that want the full, thorough, complete technical details on the 5LS.

Some key points I got from the video:

- door armrests, center console, and seats were all ergonomically designed together to make it feel like you're sitting in a very comfortable couch
- some interesting new varieties of available wood trim
- The new generation AVS is standard on every model
- 19/29 EPA MPG RWD, 18/27 AWD; impressive gains over the 4LS
- V35A engine makes 416HP at 6000RPM, and more impressive, 442 lb-ft torque at 1600-4800 RPM. That's a much wider, flatter torque spread than compared to the only other current Lexus turbo engine, the 8AR-FTS
- twin turbos were developed in-house (I expected nothing less)
- each direct injector in the engine has six holes
- race-derived engine technology includes laser-clad valve seats, high-strength forged connecting rod (material used not mentioned)
- 23 speaker flagship Mark Levinson audio system, 2400W power capability. That should silence some of the more preposterous audio competitors in the segment. It comes with Quantum Logic Immersion (QLI) Technology, previously only featured on high-end professional Lexicon Pro audio equipment. Truly a world class audio system worthy of the LS.
- multi-stage hybrid still using the old 8GR engine; who knows when we will see the multi-stage hybrid system with the V35A engine.
- F-Sport package apparently not available on the hybrid unfortunately
- GA-L (TNGA-L) as expected stands for (Toyota New) Global Architecture-Luxury
- the 5LS surprisingly uses a front mid-ship layout, similar in philosophy to the LFA. Was not expecting a front mid-ship layout.
- standard 5LS has pretty large front and rear brakes; LS500 F-Sport gets very impressive high-friction 6 piston 15.7 inch front, and 4 piston 14.1 inch rear brakes. That is incredible braking power for only an F-Sport package. This is the sort of braking power you would normally see on a full F vehicle. These are bigger brakes than an AMG S 63!
- The "performance package" for the LS500 F-Sport has a very impressive combination of AVS, ASSS, VGRS, DRS, VDIM Step 6 technologies
- No powertrain-specific F-Sport upgrades, but very impressive suspension and braking upgrades
- much more sophisticated Climate Concierge system
- up to 22 way adjustable rear seats. Very impressive.

Also unbelievable that they're having this 5LS preview at Skywalker Ranch! A very unique place for a media event.

Last edited:

Alshamsi

Fan
Reactions
finally question

has the lexus LS VIP model?????becaus this lexus LS has 5 passenger but we dont see the 4 seat or VIP seat in this all new lexus LS
I've been wondering about this since it was debuted...
I really don't think it will be offered only with 5 passengers, remembering the LF-FC concept, it had a 4 seat configuration.. could it be only offered with fuel cell LS ?

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
So how does the rear passenger space compare to the outgoing LS LWB? This is the most important point for the Asian market.

- standard 5LS has pretty large front and rear brakes; LS500 F-Sport gets very impressive high-friction 6 piston 15.7 inch front, and 4 piston 14.1 inch rear brakes. That is incredible braking power for only an F-Sport package. This is the sort of braking power you would normally see on a full F vehicle. These are bigger brakes than an AMG S 63!
I just can't help nitpicking this common misconception but it's for you benefit to know: bigger brakes with more pistons won't help a normal road car stop faster because it is always grip-limited. The car can't stop faster than the tyres allow. The true benefit is less pad wear and smoother pedal feel, which benefits luxury vehicles a lot since deceleration will be less jerky.

farid

Premium Member
Reactions
I've been wondering about this since it was debuted...
I really don't think it will be offered only with 5 passengers, remembering the LF-FC concept, it had a 4 seat configuration.. could it be only offered with fuel cell LS ?

exactly...i think same you that the lexus LS500 have 4 seat but why dont introduce...im waiting for 4 seat(VIP)...in the LF-FC we saw 4 seta in this car...
im waiting to see 4 seat...lexus,im waiting.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
So how does the rear passenger space compare to the outgoing LS LWB? This is the most important point for the Asian market.

I just can't help nitpicking this common misconception but it's for you benefit to know: bigger brakes with more pistons won't help a normal road car stop faster because it is always grip-limited. The car can't stop faster than the tyres allow. The true benefit is less pad wear and smoother pedal feel, which benefits luxury vehicles a lot since deceleration will be less jerky.

not to mention that heavy car will not overheat its brakes at long mountain drives (can happen on many european and us roads).

What I read today is that this is basically similar to old LWB.

Reactions: CIF

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Also here are some more paper comparisons. The LS500 lines up mighty well on paper compared to some of the most direct competitors.

2018 Mercedes S450 RWD
3.0L V6 biturbo engine
0-60 time: 5.1 seconds
EPA mileage: 19 mpg city/28 mpg highway
362 hp @ 5,500- 6,000 rpm
369 lb-ft @ 1,800- 4,500 rpm

2018 Mercedes S560 4Matic
4.0L V8 biturbo engine
0-60 time: 4.6 seconds
EPA mileage: 17 mpg city/27 mpg highway
463 hp @ 5,250- 5,500 rpm
516 lb-ft @ 2,000- 4,000 rpm

2018 BMW 750i RWD
4.4L V8 twin turbo engine
0-60 time: 4.6 seconds
EPA mileage: 17 mpg city/25 mpg highway
445 hp @ 5500–6000 rpm
479 lb-ft @ 1800–4500 rpm

2018 Audi A8 L 4.0L TFSI
4.0L V8 twin turbo engine
0-60 time: 4.4 seconds
EPA mileage: 16 mpg city/26 mpg highway
450 hp @ 5300-6000 rpm
444 lb-ft @ 1500-5250 rpm

2018 LS500 RWD
3.5L V6 twin turbo engine
0-60 time: 4.5 seconds
EPA mileage: 19 mpg city/29 mpg highway
416 hp @ 6000 rpm
442 lb-ft @ 1600-4800 rpm

2017 LS 460 RWD
4.6L V8 naturally aspirated
0-60 time: 5.4 seconds
EPA mileage: 16 mpg city/24 mpg highway
386 hp @ 6400 rpm
367 lb-ft @ 4100 rpm

I omitted most of the 6 cylinder variants of the competition because they are way too behind on power and torque. I included the Mercedes S450 because it is the only 6 cylinder competitor that approaches V8 power and torque levels.

So apples to apples comparisons here are hard. However I chose the closest competitors to list in terms of power, torque, and 0-60 times.

In this group comparison, the LS actually has the best fuel economy on paper. The 0-60 time of the LS is very, very competitive among this group. While it is down on hp with some competitors, the torque figure is extremely competitive as well. Impressively, the LS500 fuel economy on paper exceeds the slower and weaker Mercedes S450. Also despite the Mercedes S560 having a significantly more powerful engine, on paper the LS500 still has a better 0-60 time and better EPA fuel economy.

Also what an improvement the 5LS makes over the 4LS on paper.

Now we wait for driving impressions and full technical specs to come.

I never implied what you're explaining. I know how brakes work. Also as an experienced student of Toyota and their history, in this case I can tell the brakes are overbuilt to take lots of abuse, to be fade-resistant, to handle extreme conditions easier, and also like you mentioned, to have less pad wear and smoother pedal feel. This is classic Toyota/Lexus overbuilt design. Brakes that can handle much more than the tires can. Uninformed observers may say there is no need for this, but this is clearly the epitome of prestige luxury. Excessive, indulgent, overbuilt brakes...even in the standard non-F-Sport LS. Lexus put a lot of time and effort into the brakes, so in any conditions (including extreme conditions) 5LS owners don't have to sweat.

I believe the hybrid here does get the F-Sport option but it won't get rear steer....

Hmm, weird then how this was seemingly omitted from the USA press briefing. You would think they'd mention this. That means the F-Sport option on the hybrid is totally region-dependent, and it doesn't get all the performance goodies available on the LS500 F-Sport.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Hmm, weird then how this was seemingly omitted from the USA press briefing. You would think they'd mention this. That means the F-Sport option on the hybrid is totally region-dependent, and it doesn't get all the performance goodies available on the LS500 F-Sport.

US does not get LS500h F-Sport?

Also, are we completely sure about 4.5s on 500? One reviewer pointed spec of 5.1s, was that hybrid?

and thanks for big comparo, appreciated.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
US does not get LS500h F-Sport?

Also, are we completely sure about 4.5s on 500? One reviewer pointed spec of 5.1s, was that hybrid?

and thanks for big comparo, appreciated.

I am basing this off the press briefing video bogglo posted. No LS500h F-Sport in North America according to the video, but mikeavelli says the hybrid here in North America should get the F-Sport option.

Yes from the video, 0-60 of 5.1 seconds is quoted for the LS500h. All the way back in January when the 5LS made its world debut, the press release then had already quoted a 0-60 time of 4.5 seconds for the LS500 RWD.

Reviewers are wrong all the time lol.

You're certainly welcome. :)

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I am basing this off the press briefing video bogglo posted. No LS500h F-Sport in North America according to the video, but mikeavelli says the hybrid here in North America should get the F-Sport option.

Yes from the video, 0-60 of 5.1 seconds is quoted for the LS500h. All the way back in January when the 5LS made its world debut, the press release then had already quoted a 0-60 time of 4.5 seconds for the LS500 RWD.

Reviewers are wrong all the time lol.

You're certainly welcome. :)

ah, cool... and yes, they have different features based on regions, it will always be that way... for instance in europe, hybrid will be 90% of the sales, while in USA it will be 10% of the sales. On the other hand, we likely wont get everything for LS500.

bogglo

Admirer
Reactions
ah, cool... and yes, they have different features based on regions, it will always be that way... for instance in europe, hybrid will be 90% of the sales, while in USA it will be 10% of the sales. On the other hand, we likely wont get everything for LS500.
This should explain why the hybrid has the F- sport in other market.