5th Generation (2018+) Lexus LS 500 & LS 500h Megathread

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I will be honest in saying that I didn't instantly love the design of this car like I did with the 4LS... When I saw the LS 460 11 years ago, I was instantly taken with the design. This one is growing on me and takes some further study. I have a feeling that you're going to have to see this car in person to appreciate all of the curves/angles/details. The more that I look at high res pics, the more I like the car, but there is a lot of "design" to take in at first glance.

4LS was just a little simpler - and classically good looking.

Reactions
It has the touchpad RTI, and cruise control on the steering wheel! (I know they did this on the LC too)
I am definitely out.

Travis

Fan
Reactions
I have had two LS's and I'm not even remotely interested in this current offering.
:-(

Dude. This is a all new platform new powerful new technology new interiors new everything. This is new LS before you say your not interested sit in the car and drive the car. That seem like where Lexus put 100% of their efforts. With how good the GSF drive and how good the LC500 drives this new LS is sure to be a great car.

Reactions
I kind of expected it to have incorporated at least some of hi-tech features presented in the LF-FC video -

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Upon further inspection of the limited number of interior pics:

- the horizontal lines that stretch across the dashboard with the enclosed vents, at first I thought had dark wood enclosed as well. Now upon close inspection, it seems there is no wood trim at all there. So overall, it looks like there is less wood trim in the 5LS interior than the 4LS interior. The LX dash also has more wood trim than the 5LS dash. It looks like Lexus has decided for new and future models, less wood trim is the way forward. Sorry Lexus, but that's not my idea of luxury.
- also it seems there is no seek knob for audio, only seek buttons. Only one knob is present, and that is the volume knob. A step back in functionality IMHO.
- the Lexus clock looks somewhat small and oddly placed to the left side of the screen. I am not a fan of this, as I far prefer the front and center placement of the clock like on the RX and LX interiors.
- the rear seat controls look to be touch screen controls. Not sure how well they will work in the real world. Will they still function in extreme heat or cold? What if rear seat passengers are wearing gloves?

Travis

Fan
Reactions
Aggressive but at the same time very smooth and elegant. I think that color is the wrong color to debut a car in but overall i like the car very eye catching. I wonder if there will be a F-sport model? What I dont like right away are those wheels. A bit too busy for my taste a nice big 5, 6 spoke rim would look more sporty and better. The rims from the LC500 would have done wonders here

Andyl

Founding Member
Reactions
Great job Lexus. Stylish, interesting and sophisticated and yet consistent across different elements of exterior and interior.

It will be an enjoyable experience to discover things in the interior once LS hits the showroom.

The interior looks highly polished and refined and you can see a lot of efforts spent by Lexus team to take this to the higher level. Door panels are exquisite and visually appealing. The main swooping line is not the same as the one in Mercedes S class as Lexus actually blends the air vents on the swooping line. German and Japanese designers have different aesthetic tastes. Not to mention the new pattern/treatment of wood.

The only concern is the surface texture in the interior. It looks good on paper but I was a bit disappointed by the pre-production LC in the 2016' SEMA show. So I reserve my final judgement for the new 18' LS until I see and touch the interior in the showroom or car show.

Reactions
On a positive note; how about the LC 500 starting out at $92k. I think Lexus is going to sell more of those than they are anticipating. I wonder if that new V6 will eventually make it into an entry level LC with a starting price under $90k. I am kind of excited to see where else they put that engine. Probably the same engine that's going in the Supra.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
17-01-09-lexus-ls-b-roll-video.jpg

There's a lot of detail in this official footage.
View the original article post

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Maybe my expectations were too high because of the awesome LC 500.
This.

The LC is a beautiful, groundbreaking design, an original that doesn't beg comparisons to other GT coupe competitors. I guess I essentially expected the 5LS to be essentially a stretched, roomier 4-door LC, or at least something that would hew closer to the LF-LC concept. I didn't think it would turn out so derivative of 4 or 5 other sedans once you move past the front end.

The interior is nice, sure, but, again, I expected the dashboard to hew closer to LC. I'm just not feeling the horizontal chrome strips at the bottom of the dashboard that hide the air vents.

My third major disappointment is that Lexus has now officially joined the German badge inflation mania on its non-hybrid models. If the LC 500 has a proper 5-liter V8, why couldn't the LS 500 as well? I don't dispute the need for a twin-turbo V6, but it should've been offered as an alternative to the 5-liter V8, instead of as a replacement. In other words, offer an LS 500 V8 alongside an LS 350t V6 turbo. I'm also surprised (pleasantly, in this case) that the twin turbo V6 isn't a 3-liter, given the engine displacement taxation schemes so prevalent in a number of markets such as China, and how virtually all of Lexus' competitors have so heavily gravitated towards 3-liter turbo sixes.

Am also quite curious about a couple of questions unanswered by the Global and USA news releases (the European one wasn't up yet the last time I looked):

- Is this the sole wheelbase to be offered on LS? Or will an alternate wheelbase be unveiled at Geneva alongside the LS 500h? (Frankly, I haven't checked the wheelbase numbers on 5LS versus SWB and LWB 4LS)

- Is the 3.5 TT V6 the first in an all-new engine family? Or merely the newest member of the old GR V6 family?

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
On a positive note; how about the LC 500 starting out at $92k. I think Lexus is going to sell more of those than they are anticipating. I wonder if that new V6 will eventually make it into an entry level LC with a starting price under $90k. I am kind of excited to see where else they put that engine. Probably the same engine that's going in the Supra.
Yes, that was a very pleasant surprise. I'd been expecting something like a $99,998 base MSRP for LS 500 and for the LS 500h to start in the low 6 figures.

Black Dynamite

Follower
Reactions
Here is a picture that gives us a little hint of the new infotainment design. I haven't seen the infotainment on the new LC yet and i don't know if its different from it or not. But in my opinion it looks not to bad at all. Hopefully we have not to wait too long for more information.

At the moment it's too early to judge the car.

For $100k, you need to do a lot better than "not too bad." This needs to compete with the S-Class and it is failing miserably
BD

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I took several shots from the reveal video to share... sorry that there are so many, but

1) Lexus' press photos are always way over-processed and the cars never look like that in real life. Shadowy and dark and yet totally overexposed.

2) Auto show lighting is barely better than point 1, with lots of harsh lights.

3) Even though these are a CGI car, I think they're a lot more representative of what the LS will look like in the flesh:

15894620_10103228417976517_5656763632157765540_n.jpg

15965535_10103228418081307_3731768307284505471_n.jpg

This shot is particularly gorgeous. Look at that profile - that roofline - those curves!!
15940835_10103228417981507_5113725884132587525_n.jpg

15873029_10103228418166137_2838055018644208272_n.jpg

15873578_10103228418091287_4851404003061141478_n.jpg

Hood is similar to the LC here - low, wide, wheels tucked under wide fenders:
15940333_10103228418076317_7846793505036719745_n.jpg

A couple of points about the design.

With the photos above and very few others that I've seen, I like this car a lot more. The LS 500 looked overstyled to me in many of the other photos, both Lexus' own and some of the other press coverage. I felt like there were too many curves and too much happening, but I also had a hunch that the car "came together" better in person. I think I am right on that.

I feel like the creases and curves that look so sharp and dramatic in pics will actually be more subtle in person. Especially looking at the low hoodlike, wide fenders and that series of rear profile shots of the car above...... This car is beautiful.

At first, I thought I saw similarities to the Infiniti Q70. I lined up pics side by side, and I am wrong.

Someone posted pics of the new Buick LaCrosse and I can see a few similarities there.

However, I do not really see the Hyundai references, and if they're there, I don't see that as Lexus' fault. Hyundai has been stealing cues from other brands for a while now, so if the back half of the car looks similar to the Genesis, I more feel that the back half of the car is very true to LS lineage, which Hyundai ripped off with the Genesis.

Just my .02.

Black Dynamite

Follower
Reactions
Can anyone spin Lexus going twin-turbo V6, when competing with twin-turbo V8s, as a market advantage?
Unless fuel economy has become the #1 buyer consideration in the Prestige sedan class, with gas under $2 a gallon, I'm not seeing it......

I see execs at BMW and Mercedes lighting up a big fat spliff right now.....
BD

mikeavelli

Reactions
Interior is stunning....

Lexus-200b-gallery-desktop-2000x1000-LEX-LSG-MY18-0008.jpg

Lexus-200b-gallery-desktop-2000x1000-LEX-LSG-MY18-0012.jpg

Lexus-200b-gallery-desktop-2000x1000-LEX-LSG-MY18-0007.jpg

As a comparison....This might really challenge the S-class for best in class.....if not pass it, no small feat.. (pic below is the optional high end stitching on the dash and Nappa leather)

2016_mercedes-benz_s-class_sedan_s550_i_oem_1_815.jpg

Last edited:

mikeavelli

Reactions
Can anyone spin Lexus going twin-turbo V6, when competing with twin-turbo V8s, as a market advantage?
Unless fuel economy has become the #1 buyer consideration in the Prestige sedan class, with gas under $2 a gallon, I'm not seeing it......

BD

I'm currently driving a new BMW 740iL ..it makes 320hp...in all honestly as a V-8 Flagship "Purist" I was expecting to be let down but honestly its very very good. 90-95% of the time I'm fine. Lexus trumps this with 95 more hp. Honestly I don't think people will miss the V-8, especially since the V-6 makes 442lbs of torque which I assume will be at the low end.

Now like you I do want to see the 5.0 V-8 in there as a 471hp Option. Also surprised no LS 500h announced at launch.

My imagination says

LS 500 TT V-6
LS 500h Hybrid
LS 500 V-8 (okay now I'm confused lol)
LS hydrogen
LS F TT V-8

Maybe a new V-8 is coming first? To call it the LS 550? No idea.

James

Founding Member
Reactions

BD
I agree the V6 while I think are great cause they are quick Lexus does need to add the V8. Maybe they are waiting for LSF for that which really competes against the Germans.

Reactions: RAL
Reactions
For $100k, you need to do a lot better than "not too bad." This needs to compete with the S-Class and it is failing miserably
BD

Like I said before, it's only a hint. We have to wait for more Pictures or Videos. One Picture alone can't tell much of the System and their presentation. But what I wanted to say is that this Picture looks very elegant to me. For the exterior, you have to see it in person. Lexus always look a lot better in real than on pictures.

Reactions: RAL

mikeavelli

Reactions
Just my .02.[/QUOTE]
I took several shots from the reveal video to share... sorry that there are so many, but

1) Lexus' press photos are always way over-processed and the cars never look like that in real life. Shadowy and dark and yet totally overexposed.

2) Auto show lighting is barely better than point 1, with lots of harsh lights.

3) Even though these are a CGI car, I think they're a lot more representative of what the LS will look like in the flesh:

This shot is particularly gorgeous. Look at that profile - that roofline - those curves!!
15940835_10103228417981507_5113725884132587525_n.jpg

15873029_10103228418166137_2838055018644208272_n.jpg

15873578_10103228418091287_4851404003061141478_n.jpg

Hood is similar to the LC here - low, wide, wheels tucked under wide fenders:

A couple of points about the design.

With the photos above and very few others that I've seen, I like this car a lot more. The LS 500 looked overstyled to me in many of the other photos, both Lexus' own and some of the other press coverage. I felt like there were too many curves and too much happening, but I also had a hunch that the car "came together" better in person. I think I am right on that.

I feel like the creases and curves that look so sharp and dramatic in pics will actually be more subtle in person. Especially looking at the low hoodlike, wide fenders and that series of rear profile shots of the car above...... This car is beautiful.

At first, I thought I saw similarities to the Infiniti Q70. I lined up pics side by side, and I am wrong.

Someone posted pics of the new Buick LaCrosse and I can see a few similarities there.

However, I do not really see the Hyundai references, and if they're there, I don't see that as Lexus' fault. Hyundai has been stealing cues from other brands for a while now, so if the back half of the car looks similar to the Genesis, I more feel that the back half of the car is very true to LS lineage, which Hyundai ripped off with the Genesis.

Just my .02.

We all know when a new car debuts its compared to everything and a letdown until later :D Rarely does a car debut and get glowing praise like the LC. Being told info I couldn't share the exterior met my expectations. It was going to be sportier but no LC. I think that was clearly accomplished. The front is distinctly Lexus and the rear continues the L shaped theme with the usual Lexus exhaust cut outs. The LS lost its more traditional 3 box shape for a swoopier profile. We heard this was coming and the Panamera was a huge design influence.

My biggest gripe is the D-pillar which lost its usual LS version of the Hoffmeister Kink for something more generic. I understand the reason, to match the more coupe like roof but we have seen this before many times. The good news is unlike the concept the bottom of the windows sweep upward for a sportier look. I am not a fan of drooping window-lines into the rear.

That said to me in this class it and the Panamera have the most style with the Quattroporte up there.