Toyota files for "FT-4X" name - resurrection of the FJ Cruiser?

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
06-2014-toyota-fj-cruiser-ue-qs-1.jpg

trademark was first discovered by AutoGuide, and as they point out, this could be an indication of a future off-road-oriented concept vehicle. Could it be a successor to the FJ Cruiser?

We and AutoGuide both emphasize that this is likely a concept because Toyota likes to use the FT designation for concepts, as shown by the FT-86 and FT-1 concepts. We also are inclined to believe this is some sort of off-roader based on the "4X" suffix. If it is an off-roader, it would be the first time the "FT" name was applied to something other than a two-door sports car. Also, while it's likely a concept, both previous FT concepts led to production versions over a very long gestation period. So long that we're still waiting for the Supra hinted at by the FT-1 from a few years back. So perhaps we'll see a production version of whatever this FT-4X might be... eventually.

It's possible we may see this concept soon as well. Looking through the United States Patent and Trademark Office database, we found that Toyota filed for a trademark on the "S-FR" name in May 2015, and the concept made its debut in Tokyo that October. If that timeline is any indication, we could see a concept coming possibly in March or April, which would coincide with auto shows in Geneva and New York, respectively. Of course, this is just mildly educated estimation at this point since we only have a name and a filing date. But our fingers are crossed.

Source: http://www.autoblog.com/2016/10/18/toyota-ft-4x-fj-cruiser-concept-trademark/#slide-2764361

One can only hope :D

If Toyota has plans to resurrect the FJ Cruiser or a similar vehicle, hard to imagine a better market than the one we have now. Should be a pretty easy formula - all of the hardware exists between the Tacoma/Hilux and 4Runner/Prado. Come on!!

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Looks like it could be a good potential competitor to the upcoming Ford Bronco, if Ford actually commits it to production.

MTM2ODI4NTU3MDE0ODY5NTk5.jpg

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Through some of the political back and forth with Trump, they accidentally confirmed that Broncos would be produced in Dearborn, I think!

The betting is that, if so, it (along with the Ranger) will be in the same plant that formerly did the Focus....those jobs are going to Mexico.

Anyhow, Toyota FT and Ford Bronco competition would be interesting.....now the pressure might be on Chevy to bring back the old two-door Blazer....and maybe the Dodge Ramcharger.

Reactions
Don't think its a Tundra....but they better hurry and get this market to SOON while the gas prices are low.

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
...could also be a concept for the next Tundra...?

The 2018 Tundra will debut very soon, but this is not it. This is a concept for the next generation 4Runner, for MY 2019. Auto Guide just might be reaching to speculate that Toyota is resurrecting the FJ Cruiser.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Speaking of Tundras and 4Runners and truck platforms, great news! I found out a little bit more about Toyota's TNGA rollout.

The midsize variant will be TNGA-K and will apparently apply to the Camry, Rav4, Avalon, Sienna and Highlander. That's interesting because that means the Rav4 moves away from sharing a platform with the Corolla. That also sounds like the Rav4 will get larger. The Prius is currently on the small car TNGA-C platform variant.

Staying on topic, the next variant besides that is TNGA-F, which will apply to models like the Tundra, Tacoma and Sequoia. So this is big news, as this now confirms that TNGA will apply to body-on-frame vehicles as well. This very likely applies to the 4Runner as well. This also has interesting implications for Lexus models like the LX and GX. Since body-on-frame TNGA looks to be confirmed in this case, the chances of a next-gen GX just increased a little bit. Next-gen LX of course seems very likely. It will be very fascinating to see what changes TNGA brings to Toyota's body-on-frame vehicles.

Last edited:

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
An update: there may possibly be a TNGA-B variant for subcompacts like the Yaris, so this variant may be different than the TNGA-C variant.

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
An update: there may possibly be a TNGA-B variant for subcompacts like the Yaris, so this variant may be different than the TNGA-C variant.

I had forgotten about TNGA-B, thanks for the reminder. Is it possible they are planning a production LF-SA on that?

I wonder if FT-4X is related to a Land Cruiser variant? Take this with a grain of salt, but a 2016 Japanese conversation lent to the idea of a concept that would preview the 300-Series.

At this point, one cannot expect a redesigned 4Runner. However, what are they planning to do I wonder regarding the 70-Series? It seems that a federalized for North America, 70-Series might cannibalize the 4Runner/Hilux Surf.

supra93

Expert
Reactions

New Toyota and Mazda SUVs to Be Built in Alabama Will Share Components

We're thinking the Toyota will be a production version of the FT-4X and the Mazda will be a mid-size CX-7.
  • Toyota and Mazda are constructing a new plant in Huntsville, Alabama, that will begin production in 2021.
  • The plant was originally going to build a new Mazda SUV model and Toyota Corolla compact cars, but Toyota now says it will build a new SUV model there instead.
  • Representatives of both Toyota and Mazda have told Car and Driver that the vehicles will share some components and suppliers but will be developed separately.
Toyota and Mazda's plans for a new factory in Alabama are coming into clearer focus. While Toyota initially planned to build Corollas at this plant, the company has changed course and now says it will build a new SUV model that's not currently part of the lineup. Mazda's plan to build a new SUV model has not changed.

Both Toyota and Mazda representatives told C/D that the two SUVs will share components and suppliers to improve efficiencies. But, unlike Toyota and Mazda's arrangement with the Yaris, in which Mazda builds a rebadged version of the 2 subcompact for Toyota, these SUVs will be different vehicles. Mazda asserted in a statement that they will be "developed independently by each brand." We expect both of these new models to debut sometime in 2020, as production is slated to start in 2021.

We think the Toyota will be a production version of the FT-4X concept from 2017 that will slot in between the compact RAV4 and the subcompact C-HR. This boxy small crossover would give Toyota a more rugged-looking, off-road-oriented entry in the small-SUV segment in the vein of the Jeep Renegade. The existing C-HR is more carlike and does not offer all-wheel drive.

Because Mazda currently has a gap in its lineup between the compact CX-5 and three-row CX-9 crossovers, our best guess is that the new model built in Alabama will be a mid-size two-row crossover to compete with the likes of the Honda Passport and Chevrolet Blazer. It could revive the CX-7 name from a previous crossover that was discontinued in 2013, since Mazda maintains a trademark in the U.S. for that moniker. Mazda executives have previously said that this model will be developed specially for the U.S. market and claimed that it could become the company's top-selling model here.

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
^^What do you think is wrong, @Gecko?

Despite what C/D says, I believe that the Toyota and the Mazda CUVs to be built in Alabama will be the same size, rather than the Toyota being a compact and the Mazda being a mid-size; if they share components, I believe that they will logically share an underlying platform also. I believe that both will be mid-sized crossovers. Mazda has a basket full of smaller crossovers already and Toyota could probably sell a mid-size crossover (or perhaps build the Harrier / Venza here in North America).

And I am not sure that both models will be brand new models. If they are brand new models to be built starting in 2021, just over a year from now, there should be prototypes out testing. Additionally, I believe that it would be easier to get an already-in-production model (like the Harrier / Venza) started in a brand new plant with brand new, inexperienced workers than to start everything fresh -- plant, workers and models.

shizhi

Follower
Reactions
^^What do you think is wrong, @Gecko?

Despite what C/D says, I believe that the Toyota and the Mazda CUVs to be built in Alabama will be the same size, rather than the Toyota being a compact and the Mazda being a mid-size; if they share components, I believe that they will logically share an underlying platform also. I believe that both will be mid-sized crossovers. Mazda has a basket full of smaller crossovers already and Toyota could probably sell a mid-size crossover (or perhaps build the Harrier / Venza here in North America).

And I am not sure that both models will be brand new models. If they are brand new models to be built starting in 2021, just over a year from now, there should be prototypes out testing. Additionally, I believe that it would be easier to get an already-in-production model (like the Harrier / Venza) started in a brand new plant with brand new, inexperienced workers than to start everything fresh -- plant, workers and models.
corolla cross,890B.
Remember that leaked picture, the All-new CUV that will be launched next year in Q3 is this car.
In China, there is also a similar code, 891B, a C-SUV that will be launched in February 2022.