Lexus Planning Four "New or significantly updated models this year" - What could they be?

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
If you happen to follow the Toyota and Lexus monthly sales reports, you might have noticed that at the end of the December 2014 report, Jeff Bracken slipped in this tidbit:

We’ll also have four
  • New or significantly updated models this year
  • Along with several additional new powertrain packages
  • And special editions models
  • So you can see why we expect 2015
  • To be another growth year
  • And very possibly a record year for Lexus dealers

This was before Lexus revealed the GS F in Detroit at NAIAS, so we can certainly knock that off as one of the four. We also know that a new RX is just around the corner, but that leaves two spots open for new or significantly updated models.

Anyone want to take a guess?

I've heard a new LX will bow this year and assume that the refreshed 2016 GS could be considered a fourth model. Or would that be looped in with the GS F as one model line, and we'll see a fourth mystery vehicle? Perhaps the RC convertible?

Just as exciting is the mention of new power train packages, hopefully a revised DI V6 with the Otto/Atkinson cycles like the 2UR-GSE V8 in the GS F and RC F. That engine should stay in the GS and IS, and if rumors are right, head into the RX.

What else are you looking forward to seeing?

Mohammed Taha

Founding Member
Reactions
Yaay, first discussion.

Can you please provide a link to the report? If there are indeed four then we're all done for 2015.

Assuming the RX is not included then ...

NX - new
GS - updated
RC and RC-F - new
ES - updated ?

I think the LS, LX and GX will be all new for 2016 and may debut fourth quarter this year. Would be amazing if they reveal it in the Dubai Motor Show (10 - 14 November). Wishful thinking.

IS-F debut as well as a new updated IS will be revealed next year.

As for drive trains, we know the turbo is coming to replace the 2.5. I hope they're working on a new engine to replace the 3.5, maybe a 3.7 although that would be too Nissanish, maybe a 3.9?

Let's see.

Mohammed Taha

Founding Member
Reactions
Why don't you add voting to the thread, if you can make changes.

Let's see if the majority can guess correctly.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I don't see the option to post a poll right now - we'll work on that. Great idea!

RcF

Founding Member
Reactions
I hope for a ISF, even with a twin turbo v6 with 420 bhp
That will keep it different to the rcF

GSCT

Founding Member
Reactions
New models are likely the GS F and RX. Significantly upgraded could be referring to the IS 200t and maybe a RC 200t? What Lexus desperately needs IMO is a truly leading edge LS - something that once again makes it the best sedan in the world, with hybrid power trains, dynamic handling and kick ass styling.

Izzam@RegencyAuto

Founding Member
Reactions
I can't see a IS F coming. The GS F has similar power to a M3. The GS F offers a V8 in a car that offers the size that both the IS and 3 can't offer for <$100k.

RcF

Founding Member
Reactions
Also Lexus needs a performance hybrid. Like KERS in f1 or a McLaren p1. And be the first to fit it to the likes of the rcF with the 8speed transmission.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
Can you please provide a link to the report? If there are indeed four then we're all done for 2015.

So, the first mention of these models was in the December 2015 sales call:

http://pressroom.lexus.com/releases/tms+december+2014+sales+conference+notes.htm

Lexus USA GM Jeff Bracken discussed this further at the Detroit Motor Show:

http://lexusenthusiast.com/2015/01/14/lexus-will-nine-product-stories-2015/

The RX is guaranteed, no question. There's also going to be a GS update to match up with the GS F. Beyond that, it's all speculation unless someone out there wants to share real details. :)

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
Begging the Car Gods for a new IS-F.

I'd like to see a next-gen IS F -- perhaps we'll see something similar to how the GS F was handled, but I wonder if Lexus is happy with just the RC F & GS F.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
I believe they mentioned another round of special editions too....

All the talk about the Crafted Line was how difficult it was to get customization through Toyota. I'm hoping for something a little more transformative this time around.

Reactions: RAL

ACEtheOG

Founding Member
Reactions
I'd like to see a next-gen IS F -- perhaps we'll see something similar to how the GS F was handled, but I wonder if Lexus is happy with just the RC F & GS F.
I'd happily take the RC-F motor / tranny in the lighter 3IS chassis. This might present a huge problem for Lexus in that the cheapest F (new IS-F) would be the quickest F...

flipside909

Premium Member
Reactions
All the talk about the Crafted Line was how difficult it was to get customization through Toyota. I'm hoping for something a little more transformative this time around.

I honestly feel the Crafted Line is a bit safe. The black out trim can easily be replicated at the dealership level. More attention should have been done to highlight the best options available for each model like Mark Levinson, HUD (where available), PCS/Radar Cruise, LKA/LDA and more appealing red/black interior color placement.

flipside909

Premium Member
Reactions
As for future models. My educated guess:

Refreshed 3rd Gen GS
4th Gen RX
Refreshed 4th Gen ES
Maybe 5th Gen LS or updated IS?