Lexus Planning Four "New or significantly updated models this year" - What could they be?

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
I honestly feel the Crafted Line is a bit safe. The black out trim can easily be replicated at the dealership level. More attention should have been done to highlight the best options available for each model like Mark Levinson, HUD (where available), PCS/Radar Cruise, LKA/LDA and more appealing red/black interior color placement.

Have to say, I don't know why Lexus USA doesn't bring over the Modellista or TRD kits as a special edition.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
As for future models. My educated guess:

Refreshed 3rd Gen GS
4th Gen RX
Refreshed 4th Gen ES
Maybe 5th Gen LS or updated IS?

An IS update is an interesting idea -- would fit if the IS 200t is introduced this year as well.

ACEtheOG

Founding Member
Reactions
As for future models. My educated guess:

Refreshed 3rd Gen GS
4th Gen RX
Refreshed 4th Gen ES
Maybe 5th Gen LS or updated IS?
A new LS needs to come ASAP. The current S Class is beautiful inside and out and is the current benchmark. Mercedes really did a great job putting out a quality product and is unparalleled when it comes to choice - S400 short/long, S550 short/long/coupe, S600 long, S63 AMG long/coupe, and S65 AMG long/coupe. Getting this kind of choice from Lexus won't come anytime soon, but Lexus is capable of building THE BEST car on the planet like they did in '89. We've heard that the new LS will have more in common with the XJ than the S Class in terms of sportiness, but the XJR can't hang with those new AMGs, so at the end of the day, IMO Mercedes is still the target.

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
Based on expected mid-cycle refreshes and new models for the MY '16, my vote goes to:

RX (obvious one and due after its current 6-year lifecycle)
GS (refresh due for its 4th year in, plus we've see the full-spindle + lighting changes as per the GS F)
ES (refresh due for its 4th year in, expecting a slightly more aggressive triple-L LED signature lighting and grille design echoing the GS, NX, RC)
IS (200t seems highly likely. Less likely but still plausible to see an iteration of the Tacoma's new 3.5L V6 put in the IS350)

The rest full redesigns for MY '17 + MY '18:
CT - MY'17, in line with the standard 6-year gen lifecycle and in line with its release one year after next Prius (which is however 6 months late, but still slated as a 'MY 16 for now)
LS - I believe it is still a year+ away from a full redesign, to be introduced as MY '17
LX - similar situation
GX - to MY'18, but depends on fate of and timing of the next 4Runner release.
TX - name is registered but will Lexus spin off this model from the '16 RX/current Highlander, simply drop it, or have an "RX L" long wheelbase...
LF-LC/SC - not before MY '17 or '18
LF-C2/RC C - not sure if Lexus was pulling our leg saying they won't make it but it makes no sense they built the RC's mid-section from the IS C to be applied as a future convertible... o_O

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
we already know from later remarks that we are getting GS, GS-F, ES, LX and RX this year... as well as 2.0t engines in more models... i would guess also new V6 in some models at least.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
we already know from later remarks that we are getting GS, GS-F, ES, LX and RX this year... as well as 2.0t engines in more models... i would guess also new V6 in some models at least.

Even with the Automotive News article, the LX still feels so unlikely -- can everything that needs to be fixed with the LX be done with an update? It would have to be at the same level as the 2013 LS.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Even with the Automotive News article, the LX still feels so unlikely -- can everything that needs to be fixed with the LX be done with an update? It would have to be at the same level as the 2013 LS.

i have no idea what would they do to LX, maybe just minor update in the end. I could swear i read some lexus exec saying the same thing about LX getting update.

flipside909

Premium Member
Reactions
I honestly don't think LX can be hybridized for several reasons. The floor of the body doesn't really have space to accomodate a pack of NiMH anywhere unless space is sacrificed. Like ditch the rear seats and raise the floor a few inches. If the LX does indeed get an update it would be like the 3rd update of the 4th gen LS like @krew mentioned.

It would be like a major minor update with new interior referesh and exterior update. I wish Lexus went back to their 5 year lifecycle strategy with one powertrain and one exterior/interior refresh midcycle. I honestly feel the current 7-8 year cycle with 2 exterior/interior updates and no considerable powertrain updates are making the cars too obsolete.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I honestly don't think LX can be hybridized for several reasons. The floor of the body doesn't really have space to accomodate a pack of NiMH anywhere unless space is sacrificed. Like ditch the rear seats and raise the floor a few inches. If the LX does indeed get an update it would be like the 3rd update of the 4th gen LS like @krew mentioned.

It would be like a major minor update with new interior referesh and exterior update. I wish Lexus went back to their 5 year lifecycle strategy with one powertrain and one exterior/interior refresh midcycle. I honestly feel the current 7-8 year cycle with 2 exterior/interior updates and no considerable powertrain updates are making the cars too obsolete.

while i agree, in general who knows... new hybrid system is debuting in Prius this year... might have new system for Lexus as well. Keep in mind Prius Alpha in Japan has lion battery back under the storage cubby between front seats.

although i think LX update has nothing to do with hybrids, but again who knows.

I just read in local "non rumor" paper how Rav4 hybrid is coming end of the year... so thats likely happening as well, especially in Europe.

mikeavelli

Reactions
The LX is already what 85k so a hybrid will be what 100k, and maybe you gain 3-4 MPG? I doubt these cars get a ton of miles on them anyway so MPG is not that important. I know I wouldn't care.

Honestly I would love to see something like the Range Rover Sport/SVR but I know that ain't happening lol.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
The LX is already what 85k so a hybrid will be what 100k, and maybe you gain 3-4 MPG? I doubt these cars get a ton of miles on them anyway so MPG is not that important. I know I wouldn't care.

I can't even pretend to know how fuel efficient a LX hybrid would be, but something to consider -- an LX570 gets 14 MPG and the Cummins Diesel in the Nissan Titan returns 24 MPG. I'm sure there's a weight difference, but 8-10 MPG would be a significant improvement.

Also, I'm not going to lie -- an LX hybrid would be just plain cool.

mikeavelli

Reactions
I honestly feel the Crafted Line is a bit safe. The black out trim can easily be replicated at the dealership level. More attention should have been done to highlight the best options available for each model like Mark Levinson, HUD (where available), PCS/Radar Cruise, LKA/LDA and more appealing red/black interior color placement.

I finally saw and inspected my first Crafted LS and I didn't feel the huge desire to trade to the 2015 as I thought I would get looking at the pics....I have been wanted red leather for so long but I prefer all red to the split red (but i would still rock the split red)...the wood is fabulous but I do prefer my aluminum....

What shocked me was I didn't see LEDs for the headlights..it had HIDs...once you go LED you don't go back :D That is actually a big deal to me, an actual deal breaker.

Not sure if any have LED lights (I should know this lol) as a modified LS Crafted Line would be super rare :)

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Lexus AU also hinted at diesel LX... so thats whats this LX update is really about... i guess it will offered in most countries where LX is, except for USA.

Onelog

Follower
Reactions
Heard from technology source for '15:
Aug/Sept - ES minor refresh
Sept/Oct - LX major redesign
Oct/Nov - RX major redesign
Nov/Dec - GS minor refresh(GS-F launch)
Also at least semi-confirmed 200t options: IS, GS, RC
And MY17 is going to introduce Gen 9 nav system(no details at all yet).

Seems slightly odd to have two major redesigns coming out consecutive months, but RC/NX did just about the same, so it's not out of the realm of possibility.