Toyota Is More Profitable Than Tesla For First Time Since 2021

LS500-18

Follower
Reactions
The shake-up comes from a combination of factors; Tesla cut vehicle prices several times this year in order to boost the volume of vehicles sold, but at the expense of profit margins. When it initially claimed the profit’s crown in 2021, the company made some of its profits on strategies such as selling regulatory credits and investing in Bitcoin, rather than selling cars. Toyota, meanwhile, made its bundle of cash on selling more cars than anyone expected — 2.3 million vehicles for $74 billion over an expected $69 billion. That’s double the company’s previous quarter’s profits, according to Reuters. A benefit of the 2021's chip shortage finally abating.

Toyota also hit 10.6 percent operating profit margin, up from 6.8 percent a year ago. Tesla managed a respectable 9.6 percent operating profit margin in its most recent quarter. Barron’s gives a good breakdown of what is going on between these two companies:
We'll see what the future holds but all of Tesla's products are stagnant and out-dated now and Toyota has a real long term vision whereas I don't think Elon Musk thinks much beyond right now and this quarter.

DFGeneer

Fan
Reactions
English is not my native language, but my understanding of "profitable" is returning more profit in total. And Toyota has been achieving that every single quarter with the single exception of Q3 of 2022.
In my opinion what Jalopnik meant is "Toyota has higher profit margin per vehicle sold than Tesla for first time since 2021".

mikeavelli

Reactions
Just a couple weeks ago the stock was at a 12 month high. Investors are confident in Toyota.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
To get as big as Toyota, your margins reflect a broad blend of markets and vehicles, as Tesla grows they will go through the same challenges and compressed margins. With toyota now getting serious about manufacturing and EV innovation, Tesla needs to up its game.

mikeavelli

Reactions
To get as big as Toyota, your margins reflect a broad blend of markets and vehicles, as Tesla grows they will go through the same challenges and compressed margins. With toyota now getting serious about manufacturing and EV innovation, Tesla needs to up its game.

Yup.. seems EV sales have been flat this year.. Musk has dropped pricing to fight off all the competition hurting margins. China their biggest market has a weaning economy. They do have the cyber truck otw which amazingly people want. Will be interesting….

Reactions
I just noticed this recently, Tesla outsold Toyota for the first time this past summer. I would think it comes down to the solid infrastructure and ease of purchase not to mention the price discounts...OTOH, many Toyota customers have had to face markups at many Toyota dealerships and/or wait for an allocation at MSRP on hybrids/PHEVs

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
I just noticed this recently, Tesla outsold Toyota for the first time this past summer. I would think it comes down to the solid infrastructure and ease of purchase not to mention the price discounts...OTOH, many Toyota customers have had to face markups at many Toyota dealerships and/or wait for an allocation at MSRP on hybrids/PHEVs

Tesla was the bestselling brand in California with just north of 69,000 units compared to Toyota’s 67,000 units:

2,000 units in your home turf where you get thousands in rebates is apparently "a ridiculous margin".
How many Tesla's do they sell in Japan?

Oh, look at that.

EDIT:

I just want to highlight how biased and pathetic a lot of these (especially western) media outlets are:
1696793097603.png

Imagine presenting this as a positive.
The story starts out, high-margin, high-growth, high-capital efficiencies.
Today: NOBODY CUTS THEIR PRICES LIKE TESLA DOES! WHERE IS THE COMPETITION?

The competition is making cars for adults, that will last a reasonably long time and sell to reasonable people, and they want to do it at margins that make sense.

The fact Tesla only accounts for 61% of all EV sales ever in the US is actually quite embarassing.

They're asking where the competition while presenting a chart showing Tesla's share of total EV sales is below its peak and dropping since stalling.

Last edited:

mikeavelli

Reactions
2,000 units in your home turf where you get thousands in rebates is apparently "a ridiculous margin".
How many Tesla's do they sell in Japan?

Oh, look at that.

EDIT:

I just want to highlight how biased and pathetic a lot of these (especially western) media outlets are:
View attachment 8100

Imagine presenting this as a positive.
The story starts out, high-margin, high-growth, high-capital efficiencies.
Today: NOBODY CUTS THEIR PRICES LIKE TESLA DOES! WHERE IS THE COMPETITION?

The competition is making cars for adults, that will last a reasonably long time and sell to reasonable people, and they want to do it at margins that make sense.

The fact Tesla only accounts for 61% of all EV sales ever in the US is actually quite embarassing.

They're asking where the competition while presenting a chart showing Tesla's share of total EV sales is below its peak and dropping since stalling.

Exactly…also all those stock price shouters are quiet.

Reactions
Reactions
“Sadly Tesla continues to have to cut prices to sell cars. Piss off core demo and kill margins to unload inventory,” Ross Gerber, co-founder and CEO of wealth management firm Gerber Kawasaki Inc., reportedly said. “The master plan!”

Musk.gif

Last edited:

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
I have relatives who invest heavily in TSLA and praises Musk like he's a god when it's going up and curses him like a murderer when it's going down. I estimate 90% of so-called Tesla fans like the brand because of TSLA stocks not for some noble cause.

People are just like that.