4th Generation Toyota Century Thread [Officially Revealed]

Levi

Expert
Reactions
I think it is very well designed. The result is better than the Rolls Royce, which IMO is a ugly looking car and has no design, less than a G Wagon.

mediumhot

Follower
Reactions
Very well said. 5,600lbs for a FWD platform is insane and now GA-L looks light in comparison. LF-1 is Lexus' worst mistake ever.

@F1 Silver Arrows: I want to hope the revised GA-L rumors are true, but I am very skeptical due to the pending transition to EVs and limited use cases for a new RWD platform in the meantime. Reports are that IS is moving to a new BEV chassis and we haven’t heard a word on a new LS. GX and LX are on GA-F, the CUVs are all new and on GA-K.

Toyota deciding to build a new premium GA-L platform at the 11th hour before transitioning to BEV, just for Supra/SC, sounds very un-Toyota to me. I want to believe it but I will when I see it 🤞🏼

They didn't cancel LF-1 and GA-L cars because of the weight but because of the cost savings.

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
Cost savings? What? LF-1 and expanded GA-L(if executed properly) would allow them to enter a way higher and profitable price bracket.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
They didn't cancel LF-1 and GA-L cars because of the weight but because of the cost savings.
They can't save cost on a product that doesn't exist. If developing new products is expensive, then they should never develop any product.

The demand and profitability for a very expensive limousine-like SUV is clearly there. The business case isn't even debatable. They could be much more profitable to even cancel the LS in favor of the LF-1. Cancelling LF-1 was not just a bad brand image decision, but also a bad business decision.

We should stop imagining TMC as this perfectly run organization that never make any business mistakes and always make optimal decisions just because they are the biggest and most profitable car company in the world. They've made plenty of mistakes and terrible investments in the past 5 years, just not as many as other companies.

mediumhot

Follower
Reactions
They can't save cost on a product that doesn't exist. If developing new products is expensive, then they should never develop any product.

The demand and profitability for a very expensive limousine-like SUV is clearly there. The business case isn't even debatable. They could be much more profitable to even cancel the LS in favor of the LF-1. Cancelling LF-1 was not just a bad brand image decision, but also a bad business decision.

We should stop imagining TMC as this perfectly run organization that never make any business mistakes and always make optimal decisions just because they are the biggest and most profitable car company in the world. They've made plenty of mistakes and terrible investments in the past 5 years, just not as many as other companies.

Sure they can. By not making it in the first place. It was cheaper for them to go all-in on GA-K and unlike us they probably had solid info about their consumers and what they think about RWD CUVs compared to FWD CUVs. Exact same thing happened to GS but I will naively assume 5GS project went too far into the making so they decided to salvage something out of it thus we got Mirai/Crown.

I'm not even sure who tossed the rumor of GA-L being too heavy in the first place but I never believed in it for a second. It was obvious they gave up on bespoke rwd portfolio right after the LS/LC combo. Following Supras example I wanted to believe they will share Mazdas new platform for upcoming IS/RC replacement but that was proven wrong too.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Capex != expenses

If they built the platform and the unlevered unit economics make sense they should try to utilize their IP.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions

Lets be fair here
By the way, Mr. Akio also felt uneasy about building the Century with the GA-K platform package. However, when Mr. Akio saw the new Century design, he instantly said, ``Wow!'' ”

What Mr. Akio wanted to say in this new Century was, ``In the end, branding is not possible without the commitment that top management has for the company and customers at any given time.'' That was it. In other words, it was the top that was driving the brand.

Regarding the difference between the new Century and the sedan type, it is said that there is a 6:4 ratio of driver's car elements.

By the way, the third-generation Century sedan type has the most owners within the Toyota group, so when developing the new Century, we conducted countless interviews with owners within the group. That's what it means. The SUV type was born out of this opinion.

larryren

Follower
Reactions
Greeting friends~

The Century SUV it has been declared by the MIIT of China, it mean Toyota officially import this luxury SUV to China soon.
And few days ago A automobile KOL on Weibo also capture the Century SUV rear crash test car with two front crash test 2nd Gen. LMs at a trailer on highway on Chinese somewhere.
Obviously the Century SUV will selling both China and Japan,
Another funny thing is the trademark "Century" and it Chinese translation "世纪" are holding on General Motor in China, So Toyota need change the name and most likely using the Phoenix logo without the CENTURY mark on it....
QQ截图20230914031153.jpg

Levi

Expert
Reactions
7.8l/100 km for a 2.600 kg car? That is good. Again it shows how fuel efficient the 2GR is in combination with hybrid.