Writers can't help but make a Toyota/Lexus diss..

What do you think/do with current Major Car Magazines.

• I love them and subscribe

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • I read them don't subscribe

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I actually write for them

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I read them and take it a grain of salt

Votes: 9 81.8%
  • I rather read my own obituary

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters

mikeavelli

Reactions
So I was reading this article.... (I won't spoil it but if you read my AMG GT S review you know how much I love that car)
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests...s_porsche_911_turbo_s_nissan_gt_r_comparison/

and out of nowhere...

His lap times mostly mirrored his subjective impressions. The GT-R, resplendent in 1990s Toyota/Lexus Boring Gold paint, turned a disappointing 1:30.48, 5 seconds off a GT-R NISMO's pace.

And I'm reading like "wow, someones ex-girlfriend drives a Toyota/Lexus".

Per jalopnik
For the additional $1,000 they charge for it over the Premium, the 45th Anniversary Gold Edition comes with a gold paint that's the same Silica Brass that marked the 2001 Skyline GT-R M-Spec (R34 Type).

Per AutoBlog
The 45th Anniversary Gold Edition of the GT-R paints the Premium trim of the twin-turbocharged sports coupe a somewhat subdued golden shade called Silica Brass. The VIN plates are in a similar hue, and there's a commemorative plaque on the center console.

So this writer jabs Toyota/Lexus (he had to do both of course) when the paint is actually something special to Nissan. It's why I no longer pay money to subscribe to these mags and I honestly rather review cars myself.

Thanks Scott for the reinforcement!

Also its hilarious they want track cars and take the cars to the track then say they didn't want the NISMO GTR which is the track car and then complain about the 45th edition not being a track car and being softer when the PURPOSE of this GTR is to be softer and more compliant.

scott-evans-headshot.jpg

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Wow, sometimes you just have no words... and this is one of those times. You stated it very well though Lexfather.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
It's why I no longer pay money to subscribe to these mags and I honestly rather review cars myself.

I agree that it's often best (if possible) to review cars yourself, though getting other opinions certainly doesn't hurt. If you disagree with them, fine....that's bound to happen sooner or later. Having said that, though, there are some opinions (such as Consumer Reports) that I generally take higher than others, and some auto journalists that IMO do a better job than others. As to these specific opinions that you posted, yes, some auto mags (not all) have traditionally drank Porsche Kool-Aid, and, if and when I read them, I take that into consideration.

Also its hilarious they want track cars and take the cars to the track then say they didn't want the NISMO GTR which is the track car and then complain about the 45th edition not being a track car and being softer when the PURPOSE of this GTR is to be softer and more compliant.

It used to be that enthusiast mags were pretty much obsessed with low track times and hard-core underpinnings on their vehicles. Some newer high-performance vehicles, though, are so quick around Nurburgring and similar tracks, and are so harsh-riding on the street that even some of the hard-core guys say enough is enough....although, as you point out, what is too harsh for some is not hard enough for others, and vice-versa.

Having said that, though.........Good post. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: CIF

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
I personally tend to consider Consumer Reports more unique, and that they stand out from most mags and publications. They generally have a very neutral stance, and they do very thorough testing of a wide variety of consumer products, not just automobiles. I agree with you mmcartalk that I also tend to value their opinion.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I personally tend to consider Consumer Reports more unique, and that they stand out from most mags and publications. They generally have a very neutral stance, and they do very thorough testing of a wide variety of consumer products, not just automobiles. I agree with you mmcartalk that I also tend to value their opinion.

CR also does not take any corporate advertising money, unlike regular auto mags. They operate with what they get from subscription sales, donations, and money from foundations.

They also don't get cars that are donated (or loaned) from the manufacturers specifically for testing, like the enthusiast mags do. CR's auto staff visits local dealerships in their area (Connecticut), sits down with salespeople, negotiates prices, and purchases them just like you or I would, then takes them home to their facility for inspection and break-in/testing (they accumulate 2000 miles before formal testing). When the testing is done, they advertise and sell their cars on the used-car market like anyone else...or trade them in on newer vehicles for more tests.

Reactions: CIF

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Yes good points, that is why I value their results and testing. They do a thorough, yet neutral job. They also do in-depth articles like the recent oil burning one, that virtually nobody else does.

GSCT

Founding Member
Reactions
My opinion is quite different from most of the other posts. I like the "enthusiast" car mags, and although they can take shots at Lexus, they also praise where it's due. Their reviews/comparos for the GS 350 were what got me to a test drive (which got me to purchase). I do think that Jalopnik seems to have a record of dumping on Lexus though.

mikeavelli

Reactions
My opinion is quite different from most of the other posts. I like the "enthusiast" car mags, and although they can take shots at Lexus, they also praise where it's due. Their reviews/comparos for the GS 350 were what got me to a test drive (which got me to purchase). I do think that Jalopnik seems to have a record of dumping on Lexus though.

I agree many times Lexus fares well but egads, this writer insults not just Lexus/Toyota but Nissan for this color choice, something Nissan obviously put a lot of thought into. But hey I am a Lexus fanboy so i can get defensive :D

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I agree many times Lexus fares well but egads, this writer insults not just Lexus/Toyota but Nissan for this color choice, something Nissan obviously put a lot of thought into. But hey I am a Lexus fanboy so i can get defensive :D

A metallic gold paint job, done correctly, is beautiful (you know that yourself......you've probably seen them). But the problem is that few automakers really know how to do it properly, and then even fewer choose to actually put it in production. I won't comment on those specific Lexus and Nissan paint jobs mentioned in the OP since I haven't seen them up close, but, in my experience, what some automakers CALL gold is a rather unimpressive metallic tan, beige, Ecru, or Champagne hue.

(BTW, I'm nobody's fanboy per se.........but I will admit that in general, I think Toyota/Lexus and Audi have long-done some of the smoothest and best-looking paint jobs on the market (not necessarily colors, but smoothness of the paint job itself)....but most other manufacturers today have either caught up or have otherwise also vastly improved theirs. The only recent vehicle I looked at that I thought really had a sub-standard paint job by today's standards was the Jeep Renegade).

Last edited:

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
In other news, Former MT Staffer Carlos Lago tracks a Camry against a classic Vette Stingray...

Interesting video. Good post. :) Yes, It's remarkable how many bread-and-butter family cars today can compete with or outdo the 60s-vintage performance cars that I grew up with in high-school. And, when looking at stopping distances, consider that the Corvette was about the ONLY American-badged car back them with 4-wheel discs....most other cars either had drum/drum or power disc/drum combination. Fords, though, back then, with the power disc/drum combo, often had the shortest stopping distances, not necessarily the 4-disc 'Vettes...Ford engineers, for the time, really knew how to do disc brakes.

A couple of other things that the video did not mention, but I think are worth noting, are the rack-and-pinion steering today vs. the recirculating-ball back then (recirculating-ball tends to be imprecise and develop slop/free-play as it ages), better aerodynamics today that help acceleration, fuel economy, and top-speed, and the Camry's more efficient 6-speed transmission vs. the 'Vette's four-on the floor.