What's wrong with Infiniti?

Och

Admirer
Reactions
People buy whatever is available these days, Infiniti just released the new QX60, which should be a hot seller, and the QX55 should be a decent seller as well.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions

Confirmed. Gut tells me they will go CUV/SUV only like Lincoln..
Thats a good strategy if they add in EV tech now rather then later.

The QX60 should be their baseline, as its a solid 3 row crossover, more so then the RX-L (LOL) and the MDX. If they can reuse that secret sauce in the other CUVs they can actually be a solid alternative to the lexus and acura lineup.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Thats a good strategy if they add in EV tech now rather then later.

The QX60 should be their baseline, as its a solid 3 row crossover, more so then the RX-L (LOL) and the MDX. If they can reuse that secret sauce in the other CUVs they can actually be a solid alternative to the lexus and acura lineup.

Uhh, the RX outsells the entire Infiniti brand. The RX-L isn’t a dedicated 7 seater like the qx and mdx. Infiniti will remain mediocre at best. They had basically a decent 5 year run 2003-2007 and that’s it. Again what’s crazy is they are going to go with an EV strategy way before anyone and changed their mind. If they had did it their fortunes might be slightly different.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
Uhh, the RX outsells the entire Infiniti brand. The RX-L isn’t a dedicated 7 seater like the qx and mdx. Infiniti will remain mediocre at best. They had basically a decent 5 year run 2003-2007 and that’s it. Again what’s crazy is they are going to go with an EV strategy way before anyone and changed their mind. If they had did it their fortunes might be slightly different.
True the RX outsells the entire brand, but the RX-L was designed as a purpose built 7 seater, at least thats the Lexus Press spin. Infiniti has potential, especially EVs but with a heavy budgetary restrictions its a monumental challenge to become healthy.

I wonder if they are going to bring a Infiniti badged Ariya.

Och

Admirer
Reactions
All they have to do is undercut the price of the competition just a bit, and they don't even have to try. The outgoing QX60, which started as the JX35 back in 2012, sold for 10 years unchanged, and was still selling pretty well despite being awful in every way. In the current market they can have the QX60 alone carry the brand.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I was thinking about this today and wanted to bump this thread...

What's next for Infiniti, and by association, Nissan?

Q50 and Q60 are pretty much expired at this point. Is there any plan to replace them?

QX50 never took off and it seems like the QX55 is more successful but the story isn't great overall.

QX60 seems to be doing ok for the brand.

QX80 seems like one of their best sellers but has to be coming to the end of its life now. Is Nissan doing anything with next-gen Armada, Titan, QX80? Is there even a next generation planned?

FM is alive in the Z, but does that signify a future for the Q50/60?

Will Infiniti transition to BEV?

Random idea: The best thing Nissan could do is bring back the Xterra, position it between the Rogue and Pathfinder in size but as a halo vehicle for the brand, then do an Infiniti version with the "QX4" moniker as Infiniti's flagship. Two-row off-roaders are all the rage and I know Nissan dealers have been begging for the return of the Xterra for more than 5 years now. I'm sure Infiniti would welcome another SUV in the showroom. Why not?

UZJ100GXR

Follower
Reactions
QX80 is on the way

The Nissan Patrol is very big in the Middle East and Australia and a new generation is due that will go head to head with the LC300. Which also means new Armada to tackle the Sequoia and other full size SUVS....and the QX80 against the LX600/700h?

mikeavelli

Reactions
Genesis has completely eaten their lunch. Nissan has stated they will become Nissan plus which most would say they already are. Q50 will be ten years old soon. Q60 is gone. Q80 is basically a fleet vehicle.

Sad….

Sales are up “40%” but still terrible. Lexus sells more in a month than they did in an entire quarter. IMG_6520.png

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
FM platform is dead beyond the Z for sure, no future beyond it for ICE (similarly, prob a full EV R36 GTR by 2027/2028?)

An 3.5IS style freshening for a Q50 is too late at this point in time to have, so it'll prob carry on unchanged for 1.5 more years.

QX80 and QX65(coupe QX60) are 99% the last brand new ICE products from Infiniti I believe, before going full EV... And yup, "Nissan Plus" going forward.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Infiniti is dead. It should have had BEVs 10 years ago, Carlos’ vision. But now Lexus will have more BEVs, while Infiniti has no coming BEV in sight. Infiniti = Jaguar. Even Maserati and Alfa are getting BMW type of BEVs.

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
That's funny you say Infiniti = Jaguar because I wanted to say the exact same thing in my post! The EV refresh for both Infiniti and Jaguar will "make or break" the brands.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
That's funny you say Infiniti = Jaguar because I wanted to say the exact same thing in my post! The EV refresh for both Infiniti and Jaguar will "make or break" the brands.
They missed the EV refresh. They can’t come back. The investment is to high, and upcoming EV buyers have already made up their mind, many on here for example know it is going to be a Lexus, just waiting for it and they know it is coming. That is not the case for Infiniti/Jaguar. Are we sure the BEV Infiniti FX is in development? And the BEV Jaguar XF? Jaguar SUV sales just don’t work, being part of JLR, customers that walk into the showroom get out with the nearby sitting Range Rover variant.

Last edited:

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
Infiniti is a zombie brand at best, still lingering around despite being dead on the inside, like their one of their partners in mediocrity, Mitsubishi (which recently debut a new Mitsubishi Colt in Europe, but it's just a rebadged Renault Clio and they have a rather sad yearly sales expectation of just 150k units across 17 different countries in Europe). Infiniti's crossovers are best described as meh and their FM platform cars have definitely well overstayed their welcome.

All of Nissan's ambitious plans seems to just end up in nothing, one of the few things that have actually worked well for them in a while is selling cars to people with low credit score that also have a tendency to make really bad life choices, the power of BIG ALTIMA ENERGY 🤣.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
QX80 and QX65(coupe QX60) are 99% the last brand new ICE products from Infiniti I believe, before going full EV... And yup, "Nissan Plus" going forward.

Is QX65 going to be the "sporty" version of the Q60, like QX50-->QX55? I guess Lexus has enough success with FWD F SPORT products so I shouldn't rag on them, but it's just sad Infiniti can't do any sort of FX revival, since that was the best crossover they ever had.

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
Is QX65 going to be the "sporty" version of the Q60, like QX50-->QX55? I guess Lexus has enough success with FWD F SPORT products so I shouldn't rag on them, but it's just sad Infiniti can't do any sort of FX revival, since that was the best crossover they ever had.
Maybe? But I can't truly imagine how "sporty" a Pathfinder-based crossover can truly be tbh... I think Infiniti is mindlessly trying to trend-hop though, I'm not convinced it will sell well.

The point of coupe-crossovers in, say, BMW/MB/Audi lineup is even though they sell in lower numbers, the buyers are less practical minded and are usually opting for more expensive models (less volume, higher selling prices) but.. there's not really any higher model to push customers up with QX55/QX65 SUVs.

And yeah, I so wish we got a proper FX successor.. that car was truly ahead of it's time.