What's the future of F-Sport?

The Future of Lexus F-Sport

• It will stay but for the GS level cars and down.

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • It will be phased out for sport packages with no badges

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • They should have it for the LC/LS and everything else

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Lexus needs to elevate F-Sport to include a bit more power to go with everything else

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • Get rid of F-Sport, bring back the wood steering wheels and 65 series tires!

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters

mikeavelli

Reactions
Hi guys, thought I would start a conversation piece. It seems the LC will not have an official F-Sport option with badges etc. That would lead me to believe the next LS will not either. The F-Sport program has been a huge success for Lexus so I'm a bit puzzled by this move.

What do you think Lexus should do? What do you think the future is for F-Sport? I added a poll as well and you can choose more than one option.

-mike-

09-06-29-lexus-fsport-logo.jpg

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
I think the whole line should have both F and F-Sport. F-Sport should be obvious, easy parts-bin stuff: lower springs, freer-breathing exhaust, ECU tweaks, minor body kit mods, that kind of thing. F should be all of that plus the big guns: turbo engines, Brembo brakes, more aggressive body kits, and so on.

James

Founding Member
Reactions
They have to keep the F sport the grill looks much better than non f. Absolutely they need a Full F on all or most vehicles (ES whatever really don't need it). NXF would be perfect. The NX looks so much better than everything in its class but can't compete with an SQ5, F Pace, Porsche, or even just the normal 3.0 Q5. Put the new turbo in it the NX like yesterday! RX also could be faster as well. Love where Lexus IS going just need the faster cars!

mikeavelli

Reactions
James thats another thing. The grills are confusing a bit. It used to be horizontal slants for regular and mesh for F-Sport. Well seems the LC and LS have mesh already. The RC has vertical slants when its a non F-Sport....

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
I think the current F Sport models should be rebadged as just "Sport" models since I don't think they are worthy of having an F in their name. They should just be called "Sport" because it is little more than an appearance package. F Sport should go on as an actual performance model that is not as high performing as the F models but enough performance for people who are on a tight budget and can't afford an F model but would like some performance in their Lexus car. Something like AMG Sport or the BMW M_40i models

For example, applied to the IS lineup:
IS 200t
IS 300
IS 350
IS 200t Sport
IS 300 Sport
IS 350 Sport
IS 300t F Sport (300t is only for F Sport)
IS F

This would be my ideal IS lineup with Sport models being what the current F Sport is (visual upgrades and suspension) and a new IS engine which is only offered in F Sport and more powerful than the rest of the other IS models with the exception of the full-blown IS F.
Sort of similar to what the C-Class Sedan lineup was before 2016:
C 300
C 400
C 450 AMG Sport (450 is only for AMG Sport)
C 63
C 63 S

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I don't think F Sport is happening on LC because it's decidedly sportier than anything else in the lineup, as a GT car. Having F sport packages and luxury packages makes more sense for cars like IS, GS, LS, RX, etc. because it broadens the appeal of one model line to more people.

This isn't necessary with LC, IMO.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
F Sport needs to become at least as good as "AMG light" models at Mercedes. A power bump should always be included.

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
F Sport needs to become at least as good as "AMG light" models at Mercedes. A power bump should always be included.
Yeah like the IS F Sport should be a competitor to the C 43 which is good for enthusiasts on a tighter budget.
My previous post:
I think the current F Sport models should be rebadged as just "Sport" models since I don't think they are worthy of having an F in their name. They should just be called "Sport" because it is little more than an appearance package. F Sport should go on as an actual performance model that is not as high performing as the F models but enough performance for people who are on a tight budget and can't afford an F model but would like some performance in their Lexus car. Something like AMG Sport or the BMW M_40i models

For example, applied to the IS lineup:
IS 200t
IS 300
IS 350
IS 200t Sport
IS 300 Sport
IS 350 Sport
IS 300t F Sport (300t is only for F Sport)
IS F

This would be my ideal IS lineup with Sport models being what the current F Sport is (visual upgrades and suspension) and a new IS engine which is only offered in F Sport and more powerful than the rest of the other IS models with the exception of the full-blown IS F.
Sort of similar to what the C-Class Sedan lineup was before 2016:
C 300
C 400
C 450 AMG Sport (450 is only for AMG Sport)
C 63
C 63 S

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Looks like F-Sport models, and F-Sport in general may be getting phased out for future vehicles. A very strange move if true.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
if LC and LS are any indication, it seems to me that maybe F Sport is nearing an end...

New, dramatic 3D mesh grille seems to have replaced the classic horizontal slats completely. Before, Lexus was offering different grilles on different models to designate luxury or sporting intentions - now, it seems like one size fits all.

Adaptive suspension, all the way up to Sport + is standard.

More rich option packages with different wheel options and sizes.

If true, and the things above play out elsewhere across the lineup... it's a startling change, but I get it.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Adaptive suspension, all the way up to Sport + is standard.

If this was true, an F-Sport phase-out would make more sense, but it's not true. A number of Lexus models (like the RX) do not have adaptive suspension standard.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
If this was true, an F-Sport phase-out would make more sense, but it's not true. A number of Lexus models (like the RX) do not have adaptive suspension standard.

Correct, but looking at this from the perspective of LC and LS... vehicles built on GA-L seem to be packing adaptive suspension as standard equipment. We won't know about FWD/TNGA until ES redesign, probably. But that decision could happen on a model-by-model basis.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Correct, but looking at this from the perspective of LC and LS... vehicles built on GA-L seem to be packing adaptive suspension as standard equipment. We won't know about FWD/TNGA until ES redesign, probably. But that decision could happen on a model-by-model basis.

Valid point, but also keep in mind that the LC and LS are flagship products. So I would expect them to have adaptive suspension standard. I fully agree we have to wait and see with the ES redesign, and a few years down the road, the NX and RX redesigns.