"We didn't fully understand the four body positions"

Flagship1

Follower
Reactions
Apparently Lexus has been busy at work benchmarking bba products, coming to a conclusion that structural rigidity is paramount to on road manners. Now they have been intro bracing on all its cuvs to make their products more sporty aka signature driving style.

I find this interesting and kind of absurd that Lexus has just figured this out, especially after they moved into TNGA right around 2018. Seems like a puff piece

Will1991

Reactions
Current RZ already have several braces that have been added, to better suit "Lexus Driving Signature".

So, it's not something to look forward, it's something to look into right now.

sl0519

Admirer
Reactions
Apparently Lexus has been busy at work benchmarking bba products, coming to a conclusion that structural rigidity is paramount to on road manners. Now they have been intro bracing on all its cuvs to make their products more sporty aka signature driving style.

I find this interesting and kind of absurd that Lexus has just figured this out, especially after they moved into TNGA right around 2018. Seems like a puff piece

So they had been skimping body rigidity all along, thinking average buyers wouldn't notice anyways?

Flagship1

Follower
Reactions
Nx got the front braces in 23, and rear in 24.

That leaves about everything else waiting.....

Sulu

Expert
Reactions
So they had been skimping body rigidity all along, thinking average buyers wouldn't notice anyways?
No, I would not say that. Crashworthiness is dependent upon rigidity, and Toyota and Lexus has long done well in crashworthiness. But rigidity to ensure crashworthiness may be different that the rigidity required for driving feel and handling.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Puff piece. Lexus made such a big deal about rigidity with the RC F and GA-L (LC 500, LS 500) that there’s no way they’re this dense.

Pre-TNGA FWD products and GA-K products are a vastly different with respect to rigidity, though I still think Lexus’ FWD products are quite soft, low on power, and lacking in rigidity in comparison to RWD/AWD products from BBA. When the RX is FWD-based, lighter, and maxes out at 360hp whereas the X5 is RWD-based, heavier, and with 600hp… you need and engineer different levels of rigidity, and that also factors into value and price.

I think Lexus products are “under-engineered” compared to BBA but they’re more durable, more reliable, and cost less, so I don’t know if rigidity is top of mind for Lexus buyers.

As Lexus ventures more into heavier BEVs and higher horsepower, rigidity is going to be more important… of course.

Och

Admirer
Reactions
They have definitely improved, but since the very beginning body rigidity was the biggest issue for Lexus, they could never even remotely approach the solid feel of the German competitors.

mediumhot

Follower
Reactions
Of course they knew that, they are just switching to different strategy now that's all.

sl0519

Admirer
Reactions
They have definitely improved, but since the very beginning body rigidity was the biggest issue for Lexus, they could never even remotely approach the solid feel of the German competitors.

Does that include the F cars, the LC, and the LFA?

Flagship1

Follower
Reactions
Puff piece. Lexus made such a big deal about rigidity with the RC F and GA-L (LC 500, LS 500) that there’s no way they’re this dense.

Pre-TNGA FWD products and GA-K products are a vastly different with respect to rigidity, though I still think Lexus’ FWD products are quite soft, low on power, and lacking in rigidity in comparison to RWD/AWD products from BBA. When the RX is FWD-based, lighter, and maxes out at 360hp whereas the X5 is RWD-based, heavier, and with 600hp… you need and engineer different levels of rigidity, and that also factors into value and price.

I think Lexus products are “under-engineered” compared to BBA but they’re more durable, more reliable, and cost less, so I don’t know if rigidity is top of mind for Lexus buyers.

As Lexus ventures more into heavier BEVs and higher horsepower, rigidity is going to be more important… of course.
Its interesting they implemented this new rigidity program on the NX, a relatively low power offering and the RZ bev.

You would think they'd go LS/LC/RCF or TNGAF first, high dollar offerings with clientele who would appreciate the bba level of rigidity.