Toyota store time from Sandy Munro

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
Host is a clickbait king that is doing his job to generate that ad revenue but Munro seems to have some interesting stories to tell.

-Toyota produced the bleeding edge of FCV, but anyone who thinks they're battery insights are lagging the industry need to double check how a FCV product works
-Organizational structure seems to be different then other companies, where even CEOs know their products intricately.
-Vertical integration is next level, something only Tesla has been able to outdo Toyota at.
-Toyota is the ultimate poker face. What they're developing is always a secret, and their public information is likely a trap for the arrogant. Never underestimate their potential for bringing products to market. Just look at the Prius and now their EV onslaught.
-Yet Toyota will never overtake Tesla's position due to valuations and the ability to leverage. Will have to settle behind the Chinese being #2, and then Toyota and Ford tying for #3 spot in the USDM.

Side note, in the video, but Honda EVs are so bad, that Munro's firm whose mission is to dissect EVs for the competition has not bothered with Honda.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
He's mostly right. Toyota's EV plans are not perfect, but they try to maximize their execution.

I intended to scoff at the idea of Ford being #3 EV in USDM, but then realized the F-150 Lightning might be a huge success, and also realized VW has almost no market share in USDM.

The vertical integration part is absolutely on point. Toyota has been a bully in Japan, first they blocked NIDEC's merger with Renesas, then took over Sanyo's battery plants, then forced Denso into the TSMC-Sony semiconductor deal, and now has been unsuccessfully trying to take over Panasonic's entire battery division. They do not tolerate any part of the supply chain that isn't under their firm control. And having no oversight over your supplier is a huge risk with EV, just look at how LG Chem became a disaster for GM.

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
I'm surprised that VW has such little market share in the US, I guess it's just their marketing department and diehard fanboys being very loud and vocal about VW's vehicles. Also, how the hell is VW even able to become so successful in China? Don't tell me that somehow the VWs in China aren't unreliable and overpriced piles of junk.

What EV does Honda even have right now? The creatively named Honda E? That thing is an even bigger waste of money than the Nissan Leaf, I mean even after roughly 2 decades already they still can't get hybrids right let alone full EVs.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
VW is one of the earliest foreign companies that makes cars in China. They have a two decade headstart over everyone else.

And their reputation mostly comes from the Santana (B2 Passat) and A2 Jetta that are THE staple passenger car of 90s and 00s China. Turns out three decade old cars are reliable, not a surprise.

For a long time VW's whole business model was refreshing these two cars. That worked until 2010s when people realized their other products are unreliable and overpriced junk and found Japanese cars are really good quality.

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
VW is one of the earliest foreign companies that makes cars in China. They have a two decade headstart over everyone else.

And their reputation mostly comes from the Santana (B2 Passat) and A2 Jetta that are THE staple passenger car of 90s and 00s China. Turns out three decade old cars are reliable, not a surprise.

For a long time VW's whole business model was refreshing these two cars. That worked until 2010s when people realized their other products are unreliable and overpriced junk and found Japanese cars are really good quality.
Wtf, it took people in China that long to realize how bad VWs are? Does VW still sell well in China or have they been gradually losing market share to its competitors?

Reactions

Last time I was in China right before the Square protest, most of the cars on the streets were VWs, and I did remember seeing a lot of Jeep Cherokees. Don't remember seeing any Toyotas or Japanese brands at the time.

Last edited: