It is about time for a new Prius.

1st gen 1997-2003 = 6yr
2nd gen 2003–2009 = 6yrs
3rd gen 2015-2021 = 6yrs

b.ba

Fan
Reactions
1621741060052.png
I'll bite - As much as I'm hoping for a new generation for the Prius (this generation has some wonky proportions that never sat well with me), I don't think this is a new generation. The teaser reveals a rear far too similar to the current generation Prius, as the teaser focuses on the badge and the right tail light area. I think the blacked out badging and dark color scheme hint towards another direction: Nightshade edition! I looked on the Toyota website (https://www.toyota.com/nightshade/) and the Prius was one of the vehicles that has yet to receive this trim, and judging by what we see in the teaser, I'm thinking this isn't a new generation Prius.

Additionally, I know Toyota is secretive of next generation vehicles, but I would have expected to see some sort of mules or test vehicles being spied in the public by now if there was a new generation coming soon (I think most Toyotas have been spied prior to release (i.e. Tundra, Sienna, Highlander, etc.)

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
Yeah. Looks like it's a special edition Prius unfortunately not a new gen yet. The teaser on Instagram Stories says #PRIUS and has black wheels as well so it will be the Nightshade Edition (unless they call it something else)

supra93

Expert
Reactions

HERO-MY22_Toyota_Prius_Nightshade_002-1500x1000.jpg

LateToLexus

Follower
Reactions
Honestly, that's weak if it's a nightshade Prius. Seriously. Ford has released BOTH a new F-150 AND the F-150 lightning in the last, what, 12 months? And Toyota continues to kick the Tundra can down the road. Unless they're surprising us with a Tundra hovercraft, what is the delay????

Also, I'm going to be proactive here. It is OK to criticize Lexus and Toyota and still own their products, so please, no negative comments simply because I think they've been WAAAAYYYY too late on my two favorite Toyota/Lexus products (Tundra and GX). BOTH of which I currently have in garage, so no hate. Tundra is for hauling in bed and long-distance cruising. GX is just a little fun box that I love and fits easily in even the smallest urban parking space (though leg room be damned on that little beauty).

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I wonder what will happen with Prius... nothing in the end? It will wither away?