Toyota Developing new DAT transmission

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Why would I know? Probably a game changer because more people will buy GR products and reducing the average cost?

The point that sucks is that whenever an AT version of a performance car is introduced, MT take rate instantly crash and becomes almost impossible to buy.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Why would I know? Probably a game changer because more people will buy GR products and reducing the average cost?

The point that sucks is that whenever an AT version of a performance car is introduced, MT take rate instantly crash and becomes almost impossible to buy.

Well that's what i'm wondering, it seems like performance ATs aren't exactly a new thing anyways, so to call it a gamechanger, who knows what sort of hypothetical transmission tech they're working on.

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
I expect it will usher in the era of hybrid performance cars to the GR brand. The current DAT needs to feel a lot less like a slushbox to fit the GR cars. The rally cars are already hybrid. It makes perfect sense for sporty cars to follow that. I figure a lot of people would compromise on the 6MT if it meant that the GR Corolla had 400hp instead of 300hp.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Well that's what i'm wondering, it seems like performance ATs aren't exactly a new thing anyways, so to call it a gamechanger, who knows what sort of hypothetical transmission tech they're working on.
Perhaps the name suggests it has no converter and is a wet clutch design? They already use that on the RX500h and similar to Mazda's 8AT. The good: more compact, easier to hybridize, more efficient. The bad: no torque multiplication in lower gears so 1st and 2nd need to be very short and waste shift time.

NomadDan

Follower
Reactions
I’d love to see Toyota adopt something similar to Koenigsegg’s 7 clutch, nine speed.