Toyota chief apologizes for cheating on testing at group company _ again

Levi

Expert
Reactions
There are many model names on the table, but until now we had only two, 86 and Supra, RCF and LC on the Lexus side. To have in addition MR2, Celica is just too much. So as for the BOF vehicles, I expect consolidation and differentiation. SFR can replace the cheap side of 86. Celica I don’t see, except if it becomes a kind of GR Corolla Coupe (AWD). MR2 only if electric. Supra and Lexus Coipe related.

86 won’t be 86 if it comes without Subaru Boxer engine, and if the next GR86 gets a G16 or similar, they can just change the name.

Sports cars and panel and electric cars show there is very little progress and that cars easily have a 15 year life cycle instead of the usual 7.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
86 won’t be 86 if it comes without Subaru Boxer engine, and if the next GR86 gets a G16 or similar, they can just change the name.
I don't understand this. Why is 86 no longer a 86 if it didn't have a Subaru Boxer engine? If anything having a high specific output 1.6L engine is the tradition of the 86. The 4A-GE was as famous if not more famous than the original AE86.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Daihatsu should've been completely wiped from the global market long ago. Right now, the Daihatsu developed Toyota models are very similarly priced (at least in my country) to the cars made by other car manufacturers that are closer in level to Toyota than Daihatsu, but thanks to post-2000s Daihatsu's penchant for mediocrity, the powertrains and crash worthiness of these cars quite often are at least half a step to a step below their competitors.

it is their low cost brand, and Toyota was quite happy with it.
Same problem with Toyota though, lets not convince ourselves that this was Daihatsu only - problem in Indonesia was also a problem for Yaris models on crash testing.

Problems with diesels was Hino.

It is company wide, and sure industry wide most likely.