The Spirits Thread

mikeavelli

Reactions
This bottle was full when we arrived in Toronto and by the time the weekend ended, we drank up all of @LexusSalesPro's wonderful bottle of blue label. My father is more of a Johnnie Walker guy than myself but this was outstanding.

What are some of your favorite or recommended drinks.

Refreshments.jpeg

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I myself am a teetotaler, avoiding alcohol. (and sometimes because of that I'm a designated driver). But, my late father, who drank a fair amount of of beer and occasionally hit the spirits, always felt that Jack Daniel's Tennessee Whiskey set the standard in that department. So, sometimes I'd buy him a bottle for Christmas.

22678-MLA20234377427_012015-C.jpg

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
I only drink spirits on rare social occasions these days, but I tend to be mostly a vodka guy. Some of my favorites in no particular order:

vodka-wyborowa.jpg

31dover-belvedere_1-75l-shadow320x1000_1_1024x1024.jpeg

2487.jpg

finlandia_vodka.png

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
Don't know how it happened, but I'm a rum guy -- Dark & Stormys (dark rum, ginger beer, lemon) is my go-to drink.

Have yet to manage drinking any spirits straight on, can't handle the burn.

Onelog

Follower
Reactions
I tend to dive into something when I get really interested in it (such as drinking), so I tend to find and like some random liquors that most either don't know about or don't bother with.
Whiskey:
I drink this the most, so I mostly stick to the more affordable stuff. Also living near the bourbon trail seems to be a great thing. My standard everyday drink is Bulleit bourbon. If I want nicer I grab some Woodford Reserve or Paddys Irish. If I want a nice blend for sipping, John L. Sullivan isn't easy to find but it's so good and cheap. I'm not much for scotch personally, but if you find Balvenie Caribbean Cask, you buy it and drink it on your birthday.
Rum:
To most of us, rum is rum. I mean I'm not looking at your basic Bacardi or Malibu and calling it fancy, but you don't need to go crazy I think. If I sip on some rum, I tend to go for Zaya with a couple cubes. In my dark and stormy I have no problem with Goslings.
Tequila:
Cazadores, herrados, epsolon, it's all good for mixing. Fancy I try to only deal with Dobel, even smoother than Patron, and generally cheaper!
Various:
I have gotten into more bitter liquors recently. Cynar is a tasty artichoke based spirit, and there is a Czech Fernet called R. Jelinek that is delicious!

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
I used to have a habit of asking the bartender for their spiciest drink, but I stopped doing that after a while. Got BURNED too many times *wink wink*

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Any recommendations on the best bourbon? I need to pick some up and have been thinking about Four Roses.

Onelog

Follower
Reactions
Any recommendations on the best bourbon? I need to pick some up and have been thinking about Four Roses.
all depends on what your budget is really, and what you tend to drink already. Four Roses is a very cool brand, but if you want to try them, look for it to say something like "Small Batch" or "Single Barrel". Otherwise their just standard cheap offering isn't all that great. Look at brands like Makers Mark, Woodford Reserve, Knob Creek, Eagle Rare, etc for some nicer bourbons at an affordable price. If you're going crazy or equate "best" with price, look for Hudson, Bookers, Blanton, Pappy, Weller. They're the more high dollar stuff.

nabbun

Premium Member
Reactions
I'm a Glenfiddich 15 kinda guy. I also enjoy Hudson Baby Bourbon, Maker's 46, Jameson 12, Yamazaki 12, Macallan 18.

Lately, I've been enjoying Hendrick's and tonic.

bnizzle87

Fan
Reactions

I had the unfortunate task of being the DD last New Year's Eve, so I had to make sure the BAC was out of the system well before guests had to leave. Of the ones I supplied and tasted, The Mac Rare Cask and Yamazaki 18 left the longest finishes to me. I've always loved a Blue Label and its smooth finish, but I think it's become more of a go to spirit than something more for a festive event. It could also be because it's so easily accessible, as opposed to much of the others in the photo. Mac 18 gets me everytime, whether a festive event or just relaxing with family and friends. And the bubbly was for the lady. We certainly rung in the new year.

I wonder what's in store for 2016 NYE...

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
I've been seeing crazy bottles in airport Duty Frees -- this Gordon & Macphail single malt whiskey was $12,380 CDN ($8,857 USD):

macphail.jpg