mikeavelli

Reactions
I think the most complete car in the segment is KIA EV6 or Audi Q4 e-tron. I am not impressed by Volvos although they are cheaper and faster. If you don't want a CUV you can opt for BMW i4

The Kia EV6 GT is super impressive and makes me scratch my sometimes. It’s damn near a 600hp Kia EV….

Last edited:

mikeavelli

Reactions
I've owned two Teslas, it's hard to get excited about almost any gas engine mobile after that. The EV6 looks are not for me but I can imagine how it performs. Torque is the thing with EV's, not horsepower.

I test drove the BMW i4 and it was a very linear strong power delivery, gobs of instant torque (of course). Sport mode unlocked all the torque on that car. I would likely pick the BMW EV over a Lexus simply because BMW has a lot more EV experience, and the car has a LOT better software and features than the RZ.

If Lexus continues down the path they are going with the RZ, I'm pretty sure I will be switching brands next time.

It seems with todays new Executive changes, Sato San is reinventing their EV strategy. Lexus will be pushed to the forefront. Toyota will keep a multiple power strategy

Under Master Driver Toyoda, we have been preparing to create BEVs unique to Toyota and Lexus. Through these efforts, we have come to see the kind of BEVs we are aiming for.

Now that the time is right, we will accelerate BEV development with a new approach.

Specifically, we will develop next-generation BEVs for Lexus brand by 2026, with everything from the battery and platform to how a car is built optimized for BEVs, while expanding our current BEV lineup.

Last edited:

LS500-18

Follower
Reactions
I hope in their strategy they have a plan how to have tech that is at least competitive.
They need to ditch the touch multifunction buttons on the steering wheel and maybe just check out a new BMW software screen, there are loads of features. Lexus new software is still bare bones compared to the competition.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
I know it is another price range, but Maserati will have in short time 4 BEVs, all having an ICE variant. They sold so few cars in ICE era, selling few cars in BEV era will be no different, so they can "scale" easily. The Maserati Granturismo does 0-100 in 2.8 sec and 0-200 in 8.8 sec (according to them).

Nights

Fan
Reactions
They need to ditch the touch multifunction buttons on the steering wheel and maybe just check out a new BMW software screen, there are loads of features. Lexus new software is still bare bones compared to the competition.
Disagree with this. Far prefer the steering wheel buttons over more things to press on the touchscreen. Even BMW has come out and said the all screens pathway has gone too far.

It takes about 5 minutes to get used to how the steering wheel buttons work and after that it was smooth sailing for everyone I know that has the system. The fact you can configure exactly what you want on the buttons is just an added bonus.

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
Disagree with this. Far prefer the steering wheel buttons over more things to press on the touchscreen. Even BMW has come out and said the all screens pathway has gone too far.

It takes about 5 minutes to get used to how the steering wheel buttons work and after that it was smooth sailing for everyone I know that has the system. The fact you can configure exactly what you want on the buttons is just an added bonus.
I believe that he is talking about the reconfigurable, multi-function (i.e. no fixed-function) buttons on certain Lexus models with the head-up display (HUD). The function of the button changes depending on circumstances, and is projected on the HUD. Reviewers have called it confusing because they cannot predict what function a certain button will perform.

Nights

Fan
Reactions
I believe that he is talking about the reconfigurable, multi-function (i.e. no fixed-function) buttons on certain Lexus models with the head-up display (HUD). The function of the button changes depending on circumstances, and is projected on the HUD. Reviewers have called it confusing because they cannot predict what function a certain button will perform.
I know; I have the current model NX450h+ which uses the system. It’s actually very easy to use and is fully configurable. I don’t understand how you wouldn’t know what the buttons do when you can customise each menu on the steering wheel touchpads to what you want.

LS500-18

Follower
Reactions
Yes, this. Now in fairness I had a new NX just for a couple of hours so I drove around town running errands, so I didn't have a long time to get used to it. But yeah the steering wheel buttons that can do multiple features and you need to take your eyes "off the road" slightly to look at the HUD to see what you are trying to do is something that doesn't really make sense to me. Perhaps if I had more seat time I would get used to it. Most car reviewers get a car for a week.

Will1991

Reactions
New information:

-> One Motion grip by 2025, was this delayed?
-> When the car shows 0%, it sill has 8% left
-> 395km WLTP for the 20" wheels and 435km WLTP for the 18" wheels from full charge to complete depletion of the battery
-> 80% recharge in 30min (that should mean around 100kW average)
-> Cd of 0.263
-> Stagered wheels with 235/60R18 front and 255/55R18 rear for 18-inch wheels and 235/50R20 front and 255/45R20 rear for 20-inch wheels

Motor

Expert
Reactions

Last edited:

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
The yoke is no joke. For those of you anticipating the new Lexus “Steer by Wire” system and its yoke-like steering contraption to be the most distinctive, forward-looking, and ultimately compelling reason to consider the 2024 Lexus RZ 450e, you would’ve been in the minority. Most of us rolled our eyes, hard, when RZ interior pictures were released. Having seen Tesla’s gimmicky yoke in action, skepticism was understandable. In short, though, this is not just a yoke bolted onto the steering column for drivers to pretend they’re Batman. It is in fact an intrinsic part of an entirely new steering concept that could revolutionize the way we interact with the front wheels of a car. Which is why I’m going to talk about it an awful lot here in the beginning of this RZ review, because, unfortunately, this late-availability option is a much bigger deal than the electric crossover it’s attached to. (Though if you want to skip ahead, click here).

That's high praise from autoblog for Toyota/Lexus.

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
That's high praise from autoblog for Toyota/Lexus.
And now a differing viewpoint but don't get turned away by the clickbait headline (which is worse than the article).

Review: The Lexus RZ’s Yoke And Steer By Wire System Are Solutions Looking For A Problem

Thanks to a learning curve and a choppy ride, the RZ's yoke and steer by wire system feel unnecessary

While this sounds nice in theory, it doesn’t exactly work great in practice. When driving slowly, it’s hard to gauge the amount of steering wheel input needed and this results in a twitchy ride that is far from pleasant. Things settle down at higher speeds, but it’s hard to be smooth and I took out a cone or two during my initial run.

That being said, there’s little doubt drivers will get accustomed to the experience over time. I only put in a few laps on a short course, so we’re definitely not writing off Steer by Wire quite yet.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
We dont need steering wheels we can drive these mechanical horse buggies with reins.