The Chevrolet Corvette Z06

mikeavelli

Reactions
What are your thoughts on this car? I've driven the standard C7 quite a bit and really well in love with it. Looks great, shifted amazingly well, tons of power and the interior was quite the step up. The new Z06 with 650hp and tons of racing input seems like an amazing car and reviews have been glowing.

The latest review is below

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/1503_2015_chevrolet_corvette_z06_track_retest/

2015-chevrolet-corvette-z06-24.jpg

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
That thing looks insane. I'll admit to dislike most GM products, but the Corvette and Cadillac have surprised me.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
I give the Corvette people great kudos for their continued excellent work. However, despite all the objectively great things about the C7 and all the C7 variants, I just never warmed up to the styling. Even in person, the C7 styling just throws me off.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
We keep waiting for mid-engine Corvettes that seemingly never show. Bob Lutz, Ex-GM executive, who now writes a monthly column on auto questions/answers for Road & Track magazine (I have a subscription) said that the last Corvette would have been mid-engine if not for GM's slide into bankruptcy and lack of funds at the time.

Here's the article:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/car-technology/news/a24768/bob-lutz-on-the-mid-engine-corvette/

I first saw rough plans for a mid-engine Corvette around 2003. That's when we were starting to think seriously about a replacement for the C6. GM's head of engineering, Jim Queen, came to see me and said,

"The next one's got to be mid-engine."

Tadge Juechter had a PowerPoint presentation demonstrating, very credibly, that the C6 ZR1 was at the limit of usable rear-wheel-drive performance. The problemwas really the front-mid-engine layout—we couldn't get the engine low enough and far back enough for proper weight transfer to the rear wheels under acceleration.

I didn't want to move out of our price class, but Tadge explained that while the transmission would cost more, the list price would increase by no more than $5000. Imagine an American-built car with the proportions of a Lamborghini at that price point …that's pretty appealing.

READ MORE: The dirt on the secret, mid-engine C8 Corvette

Rick Wagoner's reaction was the same as mine: "Oh, no, no. We're not going mid-engine." He was a great fan of the ZR1—the car's code name was "Blue Devil" because Rick had played basketball for Duke—and he felt that was about as good as it gets. He thought a little more power next time would fill the bill. Problem is, lap times would be no better using the same architecture, even with, say, 750 hp. The car would just be a handful, à la Dodge Hellcat. But after seeing Tadge's presentation, Rick said, "Well, that's pretty convincing."

We did two full-size mid-engine clay models around 2004—a Corvette and a Cadillac XLR replacement, each with entirely different bodies. We weren't sure whether they'd both use the small-block, or if the XLR would have a twin-turbo Northstar, but they were both gorgeous. We started working on it.

YOU'D PRICE IT AT ABOUT $120K, HALF THAT OF THE EUROPEAN STUFF, AND THEN SUCK THE DOORS OFF EVERYONE

Around 2005, GM started having budget problems, so the mid-engine project got deferred; by 2007 or 2008, it was obvious that we were not going to have the money. A whole bunch of stuff got canceled. Impala was delayed. XLR was canceled. Camaro convertible was delayed. The CTS was delayed. For the C7, the Corvette team didn't get $900 million. Instead, it got the nominal sum of $250 million and "do the best you can." There's no way we were going to get a production-volume mid-engine car for $250 million.

READ MORE: First photos of the mid-engine C8 Corvette test mule

So, as is so often the case in these situations, there's hand-wringing and weeping on the part of the engineers. Usually, after a three-week sulk period, they go back to the drawing board and say, "Wait a minute, there might be something we can do here."

gallery_nrm_1420739216-2017-mid-engined-chevrolet-corvette-101.jpg

Chris Doane Automotive

They wound up doing what Tadge said was absolutely necessary, moving the engine back another two, two and a half inches—which wasn't possible with the C6—and that's why the C7 has an inch more wheelbase, and get this, wonderful balance. Then we were saying, "Wouldn't it be nice if there was a mid-engine car called the Zora, north of 700 hp?"

Now, realize that inside an auto company, if the guys are creative at all, there are sensational ideas that internal car guys and designers want to do. We looked at a smaller, more youth-oriented Corvette for a lower price point—something with an I-4 or turbocharged V-6. We actually had Chevrolet versions of the Solstice modeled, and a lot of us were enthusiastic about a European-styled and Euro-sized car. But you look at the available engineering and capital budget, and the number of mouths to feed. You have to decide what's more important. Keeping the pickups and sport-utilities modern, to generate cash, is frankly more important than introducing something that enthusiasts will love.

If Corvette were a separate company, you could play all kinds of tunes, like Porsche. You'd make a Corvette SUV. You'd make a sedan. You'd have a front-engine car and you'd have a mid-engine car. It's become a very powerful subbrand, the most profitable per unit of all GM passenger cars (including Cadillac), so I think it would stand the mid-engine continuation of the front-engine car.

Instead of the old strategy, which was to replace the front-engine car, you'd do the Corvette in a mid-engine version. You'd price that at about $120,000, half that of the European stuff, and then suck the doors off everybody. And that would not be a $1 billion project; minus an XLR replacement, I think you'd probably be talking $500 million to $600 million. Downside is, it'd be hard to justify a manual transmission. With an automatic, you get rid of the clutch, which is a wear item and would have to be an expensive hydraulic-assisted type.

CHEVY BENCHMARKS EVERYBODY, EVEN MCLAREN… IF THEY DO THE ZORA, IT'LL BE ULTRALIGHTWEIGHT.

I hope GM does it, and I hope they use the name Zora. That name sounds great and would pay homage to one of the most brilliant engineers GM ever had, the father of the Corvette. I'm absolutely convinced they'll get it right. The Corvette team's objective is always getting a top model that has a better horsepower-per-pound ratio than anything on the planet. They benchmark everybody, including McLaren and so forth. The C8 will be lighter than the C7, and if they do the Zora, it'll be ultralightweight.

All things considered, I'd put the chances of a mid-engine Corvette at better than 50 percent. Mary Barra is all for exciting things. I don't think [ex-CEO] Dan Akerson would fully comprehend the value of a mid-engine Corvette, but she understands. She's really the first CEO that doesn't come out of the treasury office. With Mary in charge and Mark Reuss at product development, my guess is that, if work has indeed started on the Zora, it started six months ago.

Oh, and those renderings that have recently popped up? [GM's global design chief] Ed Welburn's comment was, "If you look at them, you immediately know why those guys aren't working for GM design."

Last edited:

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Saw a new C7 Z06 today...it just doesn't feel like a Corvette. It almost gives off some Camaro super-coupe vibe rather than a Corvette vibe with its styling.

For a long time now I have considered Corvette styling to be almost timeless, like a 911's styling. To mess with fundamental Corvette styling themes to me was just wrong, in terms of what they did for the C7. The Corvette to me was always a sleek, and muscular through all of its generations. Yet the C7, for me, is the first Corvette generation that doesn't seem sleek. Muscular yes, but sleek no. Instead it seems very brash and angular, and I personally don't feel that is part of Corvette's styling DNA.

Imagine if Porsche was foolish enough to mess with the 911's fundamental styling theme? That's how I feel about the C7.

supra93

Expert
Reactions
It’s official. After spy shots, speculation, and leaks, the 2019 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 formally breaks cover here in Dubai, home of the fast, rich, and fabulous.

Yes, this latest iteration shares much of the bones of the Z06 but adds more power, refinement, a giant optional rear wing, and a pledge that this really fast car is for everyone. Even though the new ZR1 has a top speed of more than 210 mph, the Z06 and Camaro ZL1 1LE still corner the market on crazy.

General Motors chose Dubai for the global premiere of the last celebration of the C7 generation Corvette and the return of the ZR1 crown that was applied to the third-generation Corvette in 1979, C4 in 1990, and C6 in 2009. “We don’t do a ZR1 every generation,” said chief engineer Tadge Juechter. “It’s not an automatic.”

The private unveiling was held a few days before the Dubai auto show. Corvette continues to grow in popularity in the fast-growing Middle East, making Dubai a good choice for the global debut, said Tom Peters, director of exterior design for GM performance vehicles.

The car goes on sale this spring, and GM expects to make 2,000-3,000 of them at the plant in Bowling Green, Kentucky, but production will not be limited.

Pricing has not been announced but could easily exceed $130,000. The 2009 ZR1 started at $105,000; a carbon fiber package alone added $15,000. The 2018 base Stingray coupe starts at $56,490 and the Z06 starts at $80,490. Juechter said the ZR1 won’t be double the price of the Stingray.

Many of the suspected details were confirmed. The new coupe continues with GM’s 6.2-liter pushrod small block V-8, but the automaker calls this updated version of the supercharged engine the LT5. It’s confusing because the expectation is LT5 would refer to a switch to a DOHC V-8. The ZR1 sticks with Corvette’s traditional overhead valve, two valves per cylinder.

And just when you thought that engine couldn’t squeeze out any more power, GM tells us it’s rated at 755 horsepower and 715 lb-ft of torque. “After driving this around for a while the Z06 feels really sluggish,” said Juechter. It’s a nice exclamation point in the dying embers of C7 before C8 goes mid-engine and DOHC.

“I’ve never driven a Corvette like this before, and nobody else has either, because there’s never been one like this before,” said Mark Reuss, executive vice president, Global Product Development, Purchasing and Supply Chain. “Its unprecedented performance puts all other global supercars on notice that the ZR1 is back.”

A major difference: This is not the supercharger of the 2009 ZR1 or the 2015 Z06. The Eaton supercharger is 2.9 inches taller with a more efficient intercooled system that Chevy says has 52 percent more displacement than the Z06’s LT4 supercharger. Cooling has always been a Corvette bugaboo. The heavier supercharger changed the weight distribution so Chevy made the front wheels a half-inch wider for more cornering stiffness.

Another big difference: GM’s first dual fuel-injection system. It has primary direct injection and supplemental port injection. A cool by-product: It is said to shoot flames from the exhaust.

The Corvette keeps the seven-speed manual, but buyers can also choose an automatic for the first time in a ZR1 with GM’s eight-speed with paddle-shift. There was speculation the model could receive GM’s new 10-speed co-developed with Ford, but Juechter said that unit doesn’t fit the Corvette architecture and was never designed to. Instead, they updated the eight-speed to shift faster.

The ZR1 has the carbon ceramic brakes of the Z06—not the stellar non-ceramic Brembo brakes in the Camaro ZL1 1LE that are among the best on the planet, as we discovered in Motor Trend’s Best Driver’s Car testing.

The look of the most powerful Corvette to date reveals the efforts Chevy has gone to for greater performance. The strip of carbon fiber down the middle of the hood is the cover for the bulging engine that Peters did not want to be any taller so the driver can still sit low in the seat and see over the hood. It was a craftsmanship challenge to match the weave of the many pieces of carbon fiber that had to come together.

The front clip is all new and the new front fascia has four new radiators which means 13 heat exchangers in total. “The front end has almost no fascia; it is almost all openings,” Juechter said.

And the crankshaft has been strengthened. These changes, and the larger supercharger, add about 60 pounds of weight to the car. Curb weight is 3,560 pounds for a car with the most carbon fiber to date.

The latest king is designed to perform better on the track with the option to forego the regular low wing for a crazy high wing that produces an estimated 950 pounds of downforce for the track. The adjustable high wing is part of the ZTK Performance package and is attached right to the chassis. It can be adjusted about five degrees but it’s not an automatic adjustment; it requires changing the bolts. Even the low wing generates up to 70 percent more downforce than the Z06’s base aero package, and it’s much easier to get at your gear in the back.

This is the first Vette to get a front underwing to assist with downforce. Historically GM would use front splitters to push the nose down, but balancing the big wing would result in a front that too easily scrapes the ground. Borrowing some race tech, incorporating underwing creates low pressure to keep the car down, said Peters.

The ZTK package includes a front splitter with carbon-fiber end caps, Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 summer-only tires, and tuning of the chassis and Magnetic Ride Control for better cornering grip—another area where Corvette needed improvement.

And if you like orange, the Sebring Orange Design package is, you guessed it, Sebring Orange with matching brake calipers, rocker and splitter accent stripes, seatbelts, stitching, and bronze aluminum interior trim. There was a strong customer pull for orange, Juechter said. “We’ll see if they show up with their money.”

The ZR1 has leather-trimmed seats with a suede-like microfiber and an option to make them heated and cooled. Or you can opt for a sport seats and a carbon-fiber rimmed steering wheel.

Based on all the spy shots out there, the new coupe with a removable hardtop will be quickly followed by a convertible ZR1 with a soft top.

We doubt it’s a top priority, but the estimated fuel economy is 15/22 mpg in city/highway driving with the manual and 13/23 mpg with the automatic.

GM has been getting ready for the 2019 ZR1 as well as the mid-engine Corvette in the works. Production of the 2018 model at the plant in Bowling Green, Kentucky, stopped for three months to retool for future products.

The 2019 Corvette ZR1 will be on display later this month at the Los Angeles auto show.

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/chev...019-chevrolet-corvette-zr1-first-look-review/

2019-chevrolet-corvette-ZR1-rear-three-quarter-high-wing.jpg

2019-chevrolet-corvette-ZR1-front-view.jpg

2019-chevrolet-corvette-ZR1-side-view.jpg

2019-chevrolet-corvette-ZR1-front-splitter.jpg

2019-chevrolet-corvette-ZR1-front-fender-and-rim.jpg

2019-chevrolet-corvette-ZR1-8-speed-automatic-shifter.jpg

2019-chevrolet-corvette-ZR1-interior-sebring-orange.jpg

2019-chevrolet-corvette-ZR1-front-three-quarter-sebring-orange.jpg

2019-chevrolet-corvette-ZR1-low-wing.jpg

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
A monster.... not a fan of the aero tho...

While there's no doubt you like this car's performance (and I can't say I disagree), to me, the biggest advancement in these latest Corvettes over earlier ones (particularly from the 80s and 90s) is that these new ones finally show some quality and solidness in their assembly. For decades, while the big cast-iron V8s and abuse-resisting drivetrains were durable, the rest of the car seemed held together with paper clips and chewing gum...particularly so with the less-rigid convertibles. Squeaks and rattles would quickly develop, along with parts loosening up and/or breaking.

supra93

Expert
Reactions
Chevrolet Unveils 2019 Corvette ZR1 Convertible In LA

Barely two weeks after premiering the 2019 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1, the American automaker has surprised many be unveiling the new Corvette ZR1 Convertible at the LA Auto Show.

Beneath the skin, the ZR1 Convertible is powered by the same LT5 6.2-liter supercharged V8 engine as the coupe, therefore delivering an identical 755 hp and 715 lb-ft of torque. This will allow the car to accelerate from naught to 60 mph (96 km/h) in under 3 seconds and complete the quarter mile in the high 10-second range.

Chevrolet hasn’t produced a ZR1 Convertible since the original model premiered in 1970. Clearly eager to ensure the car has been worth the weight, Chevrolet has ensured that it’s only 60 lbs (27 kg) heavier than the hardtop. Thanks to the supercar’s rigid structure, the ZR1 Convertible promises handling to rival its sibling.

“The ZR1 convertible is a no-compromise supercar. Thanks to the strong structure, the suspension tuning between coupe and convertible models is identical, meaning the ZR1 convertible offers the same benchmark performance, including a top speed of over 200 mph,” said Corvette executive chief engineer Tadge Juechter.

Like the coupe, the 2019 Corvette ZR1 Convertible can be equipped with the $2,995 ZTK Performance Package, adding a large rear wing, front splitter, Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires and Magnetic Ride control suspension. The car produces up to 950 lbs of downforce.

Chevrolet has confirmed that the ZR1 Coupe will start at $119,995 while the ZR1 Convertible will be priced from $123,995.

http://www.carscoops.com/2017/11/chevrolet-unveils-2019-corvette-zr1.html

Press Release

FIRST MODERN-ERA CORVETTE ZR1 CONVERTIBLE MAKES DEBUT
Chevrolet drops the top — and the hammer — with the 2019 Corvette ZR1 convertible
2017-11-28

LOS ANGELES — Chevrolet today dropped the top on the 2019 Corvette ZR1 with the global introduction of the ZR1 convertible, the first ZR1 drop-top since the original 1970 model-year ZR1.

On sale next spring alongside the Corvette ZR1 coupe, the ZR1 convertible emphasizes Corvette’s iconic proportions and functional sculpture, highlighting the seamless transition between the exterior and interior.

The ZR1 coupe will carry a suggested retail price of $119,995, while the ZR1 convertible will start at $123,995 (prices include destination charge, but exclude tax, title and other dealer fees).

“The new Corvette ZR1 convertible is a supercar in all respects,” said Mark Reuss, executive vice president, Global Product Development, Purchasing and Supply Chain. “Few others can challenge the ZR1 convertible’s power and speed while offering the exhilaration of top-down motoring.”

The performance and technology introduced on the Corvette ZR1 coupe carry over to the new ZR1 convertible. The strength of the Corvette’s aluminum chassis means the only structural changes in the convertible are accommodations for the folding top and repositioned safety belt mounts. The power top can be operated remotely or while driving up to 30 mph.

In fact, the curb weight difference between the ZR1 coupe and convertible is less than 60 pounds (27 kg), with most of the difference attributed to the folding top hardware.

“The ZR1 convertible is a no-compromise supercar,” said Corvette Executive Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter. “Thanks to the strong structure, the suspension tuning between coupe and convertible models is identical, meaning the ZR1 convertible offers the same benchmark performance, including a top speed of over 200 mph.”

Top speed-enabling aero, horsepower

The Corvette ZR1’s unique aero package is central to the coupe’s 212-mph (341 kph) top speed. Its standard, stanchion-mounted Low Wing generates road-holding downforce with minimal drag, enabling the benchmark top speed. This was evident during top-speed testing at Germany’s Papenburg proving ground.

An adjustable High Wing is part of the new $2,995 ZTK Performance Package, which also includes a front splitter with carbon-fiber end caps, Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires and specific chassis and Magnetic Ride Control tuning. It is designed to help generate faster lap times through maximum grip in the corners, with up to 950 pounds of downforce. The top speed is lower with the High Wing but still exceeds 200 mph.

Complementing the ZR1’s aero advantage on the way to 212 mph is the thrust generated by the exclusive LT5 6.2L supercharged engine, which is rated at an SAE-certified 755 horsepower (563 kW) and 715 lb-ft of torque (969 Nm). A seven-speed manual transmission and a ZR1-first paddle-shift eight-speed automatic transmission are offered with it. Preliminary testing has shown 0-60 mph in under 3.0 seconds and the quarter mile in the high 10-second range when the engine is equipped with the eight-speed automatic.

The LT5 features a new, more efficient intercooled supercharger system, along with GM’s first dual fuel-injection system, which employs primary direct injection and supplemental port injection. Compared to the supercharger system on the Corvette Z06’s LT4 engine, the LT5 employs a larger, 2.65-liter supercharger that generates more boost while spinning at a slightly slower speed. That reduces heat to help maintain a lower air intake temperature for optimal performance.

Four new radiators also help manage cooling in the ZR1, which features 13 radiators in all, including circuits for engine oil, transmission and differential cooling.

A distinctive voice

A new, patent-pending exhaust system is the voice of the supercharged LT5 engine and offers the most aggressive sound ever for a production Corvette.

Building on the bi-modal exhaust system offered on other Corvette models, it features four distinct modes and sound levels: Stealth, Tour, Sport and Track. In Stealth mode, the ZR1 is quieter than the Corvette Z06, while in Track mode it is significantly louder.

In Track mode, a spring-loaded passive valve closes to allow virtually unrestricted exhaust flow for maximum performance. The exhaust note for all modes was carefully tuned to deliver a distinctive sound.

The 2019 Corvette ZR1 coupe and convertible will be on display to the public Dec. 1-10 at the Los Angeles Auto Show.

ABOUT CHEVROLET

Founded in 1911 in Detroit, Chevrolet is one of the world's largest car brands, doing business in more than 100 countries and selling more than 4.0 million cars and trucks a year. Chevrolet provides customers with fuel-efficient vehicles that feature engaging performance, design that makes the heart beat, passive and active safety features and easy-to-use technology, all at a value. More information on Chevrolet models can be found at www.chevrolet.com.

http://media.chevrolet.com/media/us...s/us/en/2017/nov/laas/1128-corvette-laas.html

Chevrolet-Corvette-ZR1-Convertible-1.jpg

Chevrolet-Corvette-ZR1-Convertible-2.jpg