Stay with 2014 RX450h or switch to 2015 Lexus RX350 F-Sport (with much lower mileage)?

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
Hey guys,

Really need some advice

Would really appreciate your input on it

Long story short, my RX450h has had cosmetic damage due to the infamous hail storm in Calgary, AB. Paint is fine and with black color, the dimples are not apparent unless there is a lot of reflection. While my RCF and IS350 F-Sport are stored underground in a garage, my 2014 RX450h with 250,000 KM was not so lucky. The damage is only cosmetic so it drives perfectly. No issues. My insurance pay out for it (after pointing out inaccuracies and showing them listings etc.) is $22,000 CAD.

Unfortunately, there are very few RXs available in the market. No RX450h available and only RX350 and RX350 F-Sport available. I only looked at RX350 F-Sport primarily for the 8 speed. I have a very good example I test drove. But, it is a RX350 F-Sport (2015) with 160,000 KM. So, about 90,000 KM less than my RX450h. I test drove it and it drives fine. The dealership was asking $26,995 + tax (and they showed me they are barely $500 over cost). So, I got them to agree to swap my Michelin tires with the Toyos on the RX350 F-Sport (those Toyos were horrible). The front brakes are only 40% so I might be able to get them to swap them out and they are willing to take off $500 max. So, that means, I will still have to fork $6000 more after all is said and done.

My question is, which one of the two options would you recommend

Option 1:

Take the pay out from insurance and my RX450h would be sold for parts (hard for me comprehend such an amazing SUV would be parted out) of $22,000 and get the RX350 F-Sport (2015) for another $6000 out of pocket? Mine is mechanically perfect and everything still feels like brand new despite the high mileage. I have owned it for 5 years and put 50,000+ KM on it. The RX350 F-Sport has 90,000 KM less and immaculate condition. Drives well. Feels sluggish compared to my RX450h even with the 8 speed in manual mode, but it is most likely due to cr*p fuel in it. I did not find it to be stiff or harsh like most people on the internet say. It was marginally stiffer than my RX450h and has better body control with the stiffer springs/shocks and those lateral dampers. It does not jiggle nearly as much as my RX450h while still being very compliant. I know these Lexus engines have very sensitive knock sensors and detune the engine at lower Octanes. My RX450h also feels night/day at Octane 89 vs Octane 94. So, I am sure it will feel as lively as my much more torquier RX450h with Octane 94 since it is 400 lbs lighter.

Option 2:

Take the $10,300 pay out from the insurance where I can keep my RX450h with the cosmetic hail damage. Only caveat is, hail damage coverage would be removed, if I keep driving with the dimples on it (which is what I will do). They are not that bad and due to the black color, not noticeable unless there is a lot of reflection off the paint. As per the caveat, if there is further hail damage on it, I am on my own.

I will under this option drive the RX450h into the ground over the next 3 - 5 years as it is at 253,000 KM and then buy a different Lexus. I always loved this generation of RX and felt it was the sweet spot. Not too big, not too small and does everything exceptionally well while driving like a car. Option 1 gives me the opportunity to buy one for the long haul while option 2 with the car having damage already and insurance removing hail damage coverage as a condition, means future of my RX450h would be unknown. Still, I end up pocketing $10,300 right now and then worry about things later while I keep driving the RX450h with those dimples on the paint.

Please let me know of your thoughts.

Last edited:

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
How are the 8 speed shifts? That transmission had a mind of its own.

@Flagship1 Thanks very much.

They are OK. A bit slow, but still decent enough. Definitely, better than the 6 speed in the base RX. Also, better than the 6 speed in my AWD IS350;F-Sport. I drove it primarily in manual mode in my test drive. Though, I believe it is an AISIN unit like the one in my RCF, it does not even remotely feel related. A lot of it could be down to software other than hardware differences.

For an SUV, I think the CVT in my RX450h works better for someone like my wife especially with the tall 8th gear, but I don't have much of an issue with the 8 speed in the RX350 F-Sport.

The major advantage I see is to close the gap in fuel economy with the 8 speed vs my RX450h CVT and electric hybrid system. Since I bought the RX450h primarily for my wife and kids, if I end up buying the RX350 F-Sport, it will also be for my wife. Therefore, I am not looking at driving enjoyment and performance as a factor.

Last edited:

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
My .02: RX 450h is so much better than the RX 350 that I would be inclined to try to find a great paintless dent removal tech and keep your car. The driving experience between RX 450h and RX 350 is night and day to me.

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
My .02: RX 450h is so much better than the RX 350 that I would be inclined to try to find a great paintless dent removal tech and keep your car. The driving experience between RX 450h and RX 350 is night and day to me.

Thanks for your input. Really appreciate it. That is very helpful. Unfortunately, the hood and roof requires replacement due to the extent of the dimples on them, but definitely I agree that RX450h has such a great driving experience and the torque fill from the electric motors, especially for my wife is big plus. The RX350 F-sport could be caught in the wrong gear and completely feels powerless in those situations other than the slow response. I wish I could find a 2015 RX450h, but they are like unicorns. Either people don't want to sell them or they are extremely rare. My guess is, people just don't want to sell them and I can see why as I own one. I bought the IS350 primarily to reduce the rate at which the mileage was going up on my RX.

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
Update: I ended up going with neither. Went a different route. Neither keeping my 2014 RX450h nor getting the 2015 RX350 F-Sport. Was trying to stay with the 3rd gen RX since I love this gen so much, but after cross shopping with the 4th gen RX F-Sport, I relented on my obsession with the 3rd gen RX.

I ended up picking up this. RX350 F-Sport 2017 with F-Sport package 3 and panoramic roof. Will be doing a full comparison of the three different types of RXs since I drove all three back to back on day.

RX1.jpg

RX2.jpg

RX3.jpg

Last edited: