Speed Addict in need of Help

DoingDamage

Premium Member
Reactions
Hello Everyone,

My name is Brian ..... and I'm a speed addict.

I haven't gotten a ticket in more than 5 years (Last time it was 94 in a 55). I was telling my friends that I hit over 100 mph on a daily basis. The fastest I've driven is north of 145 in Alabama. I know I'll be caught one day and at the speeds I drive, it'll be straight to jail.

What can I do to stop myself?

DoingDamage

Premium Member
Reactions
I need to move this thread, as its not general Lexus discussion. But, it can be.

The 305hp on the GS 350 is enough. I know I want something quicker, but I ask myself why. If I had 400 horses, I'd be in BIG trouble.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
First, Brian, you are to be greatly commended, not for a reckless driving style, but for your honesty and forthrightness in admitting that it is wrong and dangerous...that alone is Step One. I don't mean for this to sound like a sermon or a lecture (you've probably heard those before), but you've asked for help, and that's what we're here for.

Step Two is to just (partly) hang up the keys for just one day, not do any unnecessary driving outside of what is absolutely required (commuting to work, for example)...and you might even want to take a day or part of a day off if your boss will let you.

Step Three, with your free time that day, reflect some on what driving actually is.......in all 50 states and D.C., driving is considered a privilege, not a right. When you sign for your Driver's License, you agree to abide by local, state, and Federal driving laws. That includes a (reasonable) observance of speed limits, though most traffic cops (and most speed cameras) won't bother you unless you are doing 10-15 MPH over. That is done to take into account factors suc

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Sorry, Brian, the forum's server went down just as I was uploading my reply, and cut part of it off. I'll finish it here.

That is to take into account factors such as speedometer error from oversize tires or misprogramming, downhill effects and coasting, error in the camera itself, etc.....

Step four, consider what would happen, at those high speeds, if a deer were to jump out in front of your car (it happens), or a child (children don't usually play on or near Interstate highways, but it does sometimes happen), or if a tire, even with the better-integrity of today's tires, decides to go out to lunch and fail at triple-digit speeds. Or if, behind a blind curve, a stalled tractor-trailer were to suddenly loom up.

Step five, consider spending some time on a Friday or Saturday night in the Emergency Room of a local hospital, just observing some of the cases and crash-victims that come in involving speed and/or alcohol....those cases tend to multiply on weekends. What you see will likely impress you of the need to drive sensibly.

Last, I don't know what your religion is (I am Christian), or if you have one at all, and it's not my place to try and tell you how to pray. But, if you have a church or religion, I'd consider meeting with your Pastor/Minister/Priest/Rabbi/Imam, etc...., telling him or her of this problem, and seeking spiritual help for it. It is part of their jobs, as professional ministers, to help people with their bad habits and become better citizens.

Best of luck to you.:)

Last edited:

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Hey, if the first step in fixing a problem is admitting that you have one, you're already there.

While speeding can be fun, it can also be brutally dangerous. We're glad to have you at here on Lexus Enthusiast and hope you'll stick around for a long time to come. That's easier when you drive the speed limit :D We don't condone or endorse speeding, and with the increase of people being busted via YouTube videos, you might want to consider removing it.

@mmcartalk makes a lot of great points. I had my days of speeding and after 2 big tickets and a few driving classes, definitely started to see how dangerous my actions were. It's pretty scary just how fast major - and potentially fatal - damage can happen at 70+ MPH.

RAL

Reactions
Brian, I admire you being candid about this problem. I think this shows you have great strength of character.

After I read your post I was thinking about you as I made a trip into the city earlier today. I almost didn't make it to my appointment because there was a terrible wreck on the way. There were ambulances and fire trucks on scene. One car turned in front of another. The one car couldn't have been traveling more than 50 mph!

May I share with you a quick story. 10 years ago I had a sports car. The acceleration and precise handling was unbelievable! It was hard to stay lawful while driving that car. One day "I got into it" with another car. It was exhilarating, but it was dangerous to say the least. Afterward I realized we could have caused the death of one another or worse . . . an innocent. I made a decision to trade that car in on my first Lexus (though not an SC 430 ;))! I'm glad I did. I wasn't addicted, but nevertheless I had to make a decision because I realized I was asking for eminent trouble with reckless driving.

I've read addiction can rarely be conquered by the assertion of our will. It takes accountability. I would encourage you to find someone you highly trust and respect. Be candid with the person you choose and make some kind of pact with him/her to make you accountable when you abuse the speed laws. It will be harder to be candid face to face beyond being candid with all of us who are essentially faceless, but I think this might help you begin to solve the problem.

I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers; and I wish you the very best.

Reactions
Great and caring comments above. The only thing I would add is just think about how much you enjoy driving, even if just at legal speeds, BEFORE something terrible happens or you get caught, and how if you're caught driving above a certain speed, or forbid something awful happens, how that privilege would be taken away, and how much that would suck. To get the need for speed out of your system safely, is there a race track or drag strip nearby? Maybe a racing school where you could pay to drive fast in a safe setting. Good luck.

Mohammed Taha

Founding Member
Reactions
Although some of those replies make sense, they don't really address the root cause.

Why do you speed? Is it for the rush? Are you always late?

If you are always late, then the simple answer is get ready earlier and leave early.

If it's for the rush then I think you should give this a try the next time you're heading out. Get in your car, put on some good slow jams and drive to your destination while observing the speed limits. You're not really in a rush or anything right? Then why speed?

You need to realize that you don't gain anything from speeding. You burn more gas, you eat into the life of your brakes, you reduce the life of your tires, you put yourself, your car and everyone else in jeopardy. I, just like you, love speeding but I realized that, as I stated above, that I gain nothing and risk everything.