Porsche Mission E Concept goes head to head with Tesla

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Again, I hope this is not a repost (didn't see it on a search).

I don't usually rely on the Washington Post for automotive information, but they have a good article on an upcoming Porsche electric super-car that will likely be good competition for the Tesla Model S. It can do 0-60 in three seconds (hang onto that grab-bar), recharge from a Porsche 800-volt recharger in 15 minutes, and go 300 mies or more under ideal conditions.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/rweb/...772908a83a7978e15a4_story.html?wpisrc=nl_draw

Porsche's new 600-horsepower concept car, unveiled Monday at a German auto show, can speed from 0 to 60 mph in about three seconds — but that's far from the most interesting thing hidden under the hood.

The four-seat sports car is, in a first for Porsche, all electric. Not only can the Mission E drive more than 300 miles without powering down, it can recharge almost completely within 15 minutes.

imgs

Inside the Mission E. (Courtesy of Porsche)
With that kind of power, the all-wheel-drive sports car is aimed squarely at taking out one of the luxury auto world's surging titans: Tesla, the Elon Musk-run electric carmaker known for its widely celebrated Model S.

But the $100,000-plus Mission E, not fit to rest on its battery-powered laurels, also comes with some truly bizarre next-generation upgrades. One of them: An eye-tracking camera in the rearview mirror that "recognizes the driver's good mood and shows it as an emoticon" on the dashboard — an odd bit of self reflection that can then be shared via social media, alongside the car's route and speed.

Porsche hasn't given an exact price or production time for the Mission E, and concept cars are known to overpromise and underdeliver. (As for the price, Porsche global head of research and development Wolfgang Hatz told the Los Angeles Times, "It will be competitive. ... The Porsche is always worth its price.")

That sports cars are now going electric — years after Tesla's first all-electric, the Roadster, was criticized as not giving enough power for true sport driving — largely can be credited to just how well Tesla has won over luxury business.

The Model S has become a thorn in the luxury auto world's side for all of its awards: It's eco-friendly, luxuriously designed and increasingly high performance, including with the recent unveiling of Tesla's ultra-fast "ludicrous mode."

imgs

Porsche Mission E. (Jens Meyer/AP)
"Tesla has made as much noise with its car on its performance as it has on its environmental bent," said Karl Brauer, an analyst for Kelley Blue Book. "Porsche's thinking, 'We're not only ceding ground to the Model S on their premium status, we’re ceding on performance, too.'"

The Mission E can recharge 80 percent within 15 minutes using an 800-volt "Porsche Turbo Charging" system, closely resembling that of Tesla's Supercharger network, which spans 2,895 chargers from coast to coast.

But Porsche says the sports car would also offer some upgrades mostly unseen on the road. Eye-tracking cameras and gesture-controlled systems would help the driver take control, and 3-D displays move to follow the driver's "seat position and body attitude."

The emoticon-flashing driver camera struck some analysts as particularly strange. Some luxury cars, like Chevy's new Corvette, come with dashboard cameras pre-installed, but rarely are they built to help drivers share how fast they were speeding.

"We're not just making cars anymore. We're making personal expressions," Brauer said. "They may think: Why point the camera out the windshield when you can point it at me? If you're the kind of person to spend more than $100,000 on a sports car, you might just be the kind of person wanting to share pictures of yourself, too."

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
Blown away by this thing -- 600 hp and 15 minutes to charge is one thing, but that design and a Porsche badge? Oh boy.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Blown away by this thing -- 600 hp and 15 minutes to charge is one thing, but that design and a Porsche badge? Oh boy.

Yeah......I figured this one would open some eyes. ;) And if its capabilities turn out as described, it's probably worth the $100+K they will be asking.

Last edited:

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Crazy, this car. Can't wait to see what it develops into.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Conceptually amazing.

For high end electric cars, I'm not surprised by the horsepower because the power potential is very different than conventional internal combustion engines (and the impact on shortening range is staggering too).

mikeavelli

Reactions
In love....truly looks futuristic without looking too over the top. From my understanding this previews the next Panamera, where Porsche has publicly stated the current rear end needs work and the next one will look better.

Here it does in spades.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
In love....truly looks futuristic without looking too over the top. From my understanding this previews the next Panamera, where Porsche has publicly stated the current rear end needs work and the next one will look better.

Panamera has always looked like crap IMHO, some of its ugliness related to the last minute roofline change to achieve more rear headroom. Porsche has often struggled with styling when venturing beyond its traditional products of rear and mid-engine cars, they are finally getting better at it in recent couple of years.

No excuse for making a fastback sedan so unattractive, because Mercedes (CLS), BMW (Gran Coupe), Audi (A7), Tesla (S) have shown how big fastback sedans can be designed to be very attractive.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Panamera has always looked like crap IMHO, some of its ugliness related to the last minute roofline change to achieve more rear headroom.

No excuse for making a fastback sedan so unattractive, because Mercedes (CLS), BMW (Gran Coupe), Audi (A7), Tesla (S) have shown how big fastback sedans can be designed to be very attractive.

...........but do those competitors give the same rear headroom as the Panamera? With the multi-adjustable power rear seats in most of today's luxury-class flagships, one cannot always go by the traditional floor-to ceiling or seat-cushion-to-ceiling dimensions, because the seats can be adjusted and raked so many ways.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
...........but do those competitors give the same rear headroom as the Panamera? With the multi-adjustable power rear seats in most of today's luxury-class flagships, one cannot always go by the traditional floor-to ceiling or seat-cushion-to-ceiling dimensions, because the seats can be adjusted and raked so many ways.

Yes, they all have similar rear seat headroom, barely acceptable but hardly generous. I've sat in of them.

This class of car is generally no substitute (in terms of rear seat roominess) for LS, S-class, 7 series large flagship sedans.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Yes, they all have similar rear seat headroom, barely acceptable but hardly generous. I've sat in of them.

This class of car is generally no substitute (in terms of rear seat roominess) for LS, S-class, 7 series large flagship sedans.

What's barely acceptable for you and your anatomy in back may not be for me, though, as I'm 6' 2", with a baseball cap and a big 280-lb. frame.

I'll be honest....even though I like the way the Verano drives and its relatively small size for easy parking/manuvering, I could not sit in its rear seat with the front seat adjusted about halfway back, which is where I keep it. But then, again, I never really have to. ;)...I only half-crawl back there once a month or so to clean the rear window when I wash my car. The designers, with that car, traded rear seat space for a large trunk capacity for that size car.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
What's barely acceptable for you and your anatomy in back may not be for me, though, as I'm 6' 2", with a baseball cap and a big 280-lb. frame.

Sorry, when I said barely acceptable, I meant with the perspective of the general population, not just me. But those larger than the average American won't enjoy the backseat of these cars much.

(For me at 5'9" and being slim/athletic, the back seat in all of these cars is plenty roomy. )

mikeavelli

Reactions
What also checked the Panamera off my list was the 4 seat configuration. I wish it offered 5 seats. I guess it wouldn't be a Porsche then tho :)

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
CLS is also 4 seater and marketed as a 4 door "coupe" (not that it means a lot)

I agree with the "not means a lot" part. In my book, a 4-door "coupe" is merely a sedan with cramped rear headroom LOL.

Then, of course, you have cars like the recent (now discontinued) Mazda RX-8, which, with two half rear-doors, probably don't fit into either category. To some extent, that seems to be the path this Mission-E is taking....though the Mission-E appears, from the image, to be somewhat larger than the RX-8.

Last edited:

mikeavelli

Reactions
IS-SV interesting point.. The Panamera isn't really marketed at a 4-door coupe.. But I see what you are getting at.

I believe even the LWB Panameras are 4 seaters.

supra93

Expert
Reactions
Porsche Mission E Prototype Hunkers Down On The Nordschleife

With the Mission E set to be the Tesla Model S' first real mass-production rival once it launches in less than two years time, the fact that it wears a Porsche badge makes it extremely appealing.
BMW i Vision Dynamics in this sector, although the latter will most likely be more of a Model 3 competitor due to its compact dimensions.

Nevertheless, whether it's got a BMW, or in this case a Porsche badge, you can bet that any brand new all-electric car out of Germany will handle properly while crossing all the T's and dotting all the I's when it comes to performance, efficiency and quality.

It's also why this Mission E prototype was getting a taste of the Nurburgring Nordschleife, with the German automaker trying to make sure the car "drives like a Porsche", even though technically, it will be unlike any other Porsche in history.

Powered by a pair of electric motors pushing out over 600 PS, the Mission E is expected to hit 200 km/h (124 mph) from a stand still in just 12 seconds. Very impressive in a car that will also be able to drive for over 330 miles (531 km) in-between charges.

Porsche is aiming for the Mission E to offer an 80% charge in just 15 minutes using the company's light weight 800-volt technology, allowing for shorter charging times. When it's not charging, the production-ready Mission E should also be capable of Level 4 autonomous driving, while providing over-the-air software updates, just like its rival from Palo Alto.

As for aesthetics, this particular prototype is just as camouflaged as that other pair of Mission Es spotted earlier this month. It is however wearing sportier wheels and sitting visibly closer to the ground.

http://www.carscoops.com/2017/10/porsche-mission-e-prototype-hunkers.html

porsche-mission-e-ring-tests-spy-1.jpg

porsche-mission-e-ring-tests-spy-2.jpg

porsche-mission-e-ring-tests-spy-3.jpg

porsche-mission-e-ring-tests-spy-5.jpg

porsche-mission-e-ring-tests-spy-6.jpg

porsche-mission-e-ring-tests-spy-7.jpg

porsche-mission-e-ring-tests-spy-8.jpg

porsche-mission-e-ring-tests-spy-9.jpg

mikeavelli

Reactions
If its priced like the Tesla they are in trouble. Who wouldn't buy a Porsche? And it will have a proper interior. This will be very interesting.

supra93

Expert
Reactions
Porsche's upcoming electric sedan looks good on the famous track.
The Porsche Mission E is roughly two years from hitting the road, but the German automaker already has test mules of it lapping the Nürburgring. New spy photos provide a fresh view of the electric sedan’s development.

This test mule is in a more advanced state than the one in previous spy photos. The latest prototype has slightly less camouflage around the headlights and more exposed trim for the intake underneath them. This combination of elements gives the Mission E a sporty look. The front fascia features cutouts for various safety technology sensors, but the equipment isn’t actually in place yet.

In profile, this Mission E no longer has the hideous, white extensions around the fenders from earlier spy photos. The change makes this prototype look more appropriate for road use. There’s still a large concealment panel along back fenders that hides the shape of the pillar there, but the glass seems to extend nearly to the rear of the body.

Porsche keeps the rear well hidden by installing a variety of panels back there. They hide the taillights that extend across the entire width of the tail. The company also fits fake tailpipes for making unsuspecting onlookers believe this vehicle has a combustion engine.

Porsche execs confirm that the Mission E’s cost would start around $85,000, but there would be multiple outputs available from the electric powertrain. Expect the top trim to cost well over $100,000.
For its 2015 concept, the Mission E concept packed 590 horsepower (440 kilowatts) and was able to reach 60 miles per hour (96 kilometers per hour) in an estimated 3.5 seconds. Porsche figured the sedan would be able to go 310 miles (500 kilometers) in the often-optimistic NEDC range test.

To support the Mission E’s launch, Porsche has invested 700 million euros for building a new assembly plant, expanding its engine factory, and updating the Weissach test center.

https://www.motor1.com/news/184839/porsche-mission-e-spy-photos/