On the Heels of F-Pace, Jaguar Plans Larger J-Pace Crossover

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
01-cx17-gold-1.jpg

Jaguar is about to launch its first foray into the crossover market (that's the C-X17 Concept you see above) with the upcoming debut of the F-Pace, but that won't be its last. According to the UK's Carmagazine, plans are already underway to launch a bigger J-Pace crossover as well.

Just as the F-Pace is set to serve as the high-riding counterpart to the XF sedan, so too would the J-Pace align itself with the upcoming new XJ – in a strategy not unlike what Mercedes is taking with its crossovers, aligning the GLE (née M-Class) with the E-Class, the upcoming GLS (GL-Class) to the S-Class and so on. That would make the J-Pace a rival to the likes of the aforementioned GLS and Audi Q7.

Tipped to launch in 2019, the Jaguar J-Pace is expected to borrow its aluminum underpinnings from the flagship Range Rover, but take a sportier, more dynamic approach than the top-of-the-line Landie. Expect V6 and V8 engines to be offered, alongside diesel and hybrid powertrain options.

The J-Pace has reportedly won out over other proposals to expand the XJ family with coupe, convertible and wagon variants, as the crossover is expected to drive higher sales. Here's hoping those revenues could be poured back into those back-burnered projects, too.

Source: http://www.autoblog.com/2015/06/01/jaguar-j-pace-crossover-report/

The SUV/CUV market just gets hotter and hotter.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Interesting thread, but Jaguar can barely sell regular sedans and coupes here in the U.S. Time will tell if they can market something like this.

Reactions: CIF

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Interesting thread, but Jaguar can barely sell regular sedans and coupes here in the U.S. Time will tell if they can market something like this.

I agree 100%. I think Jaguar is leaping before they look, so to speak. Their North American sales are very niche at best, and their success in the CUV/SUV market is absolutely unproven. I think it's foolish to be greenlighting a second crossover before even gauging the success of the first one.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I agree 100%. I think Jaguar is leaping before they look, so to speak. Their North American sales are very niche at best, and their success in the CUV/SUV market is absolutely unproven. I think it's foolish to be greenlighting a second crossover before even gauging the success of the first one.

Was there even a first Jaguar crossover in North America? If so, I don't remember it......unless you are refering to the X-Type Estate Wagon, which was a wagon version of the X-Type sedan with AWD. That was actually a wagon of more or less normal ride-height rather than the typical raised-suspension wagon like the Subaru Outback, Volvo XC70, or Audi All-Road. But, yes, now that you mention it, by Jaguar standards, I guess you could call it crossover. It was actually based on the chassis/platform of the European Ford Mondeo, and, IMO, except for the wood and leather inside, quad headlights, and leaping-cat on the hood, was actually more of a Ford than a Jaguar. As far as its "success" went, it was even less popular in the U.S. than its unreliable sedan brother. (I reviewed a sedan X-type and was not impressed at all with its creak-and-squeak loose build quality). Even in the D.C. area, an enormous-sized new-car market, I don't remember seeing more than one or two X-Tyoe wagons on the road. It simply did not sell.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Its a brilliant move. The facts are SUVs sell even crappy ones and the F-Pace seems really well done. The market for super luxury SUVs is growing so a SUV above it makes sense. Jaguar has been told to ignore SUVs so Land Rover can sell them but I feel strongly there is room for both.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Its a brilliant move. The facts are SUVs sell even crappy ones and the F-Pace seems really well done. The market for super luxury SUVs is growing so a SUV above it makes sense. Jaguar has been told to ignore SUVs so Land Rover can sell them but I feel strongly there is room for both.

Well, there are limits to the appeal of even some SUVs....as the Pontiac Aztek and Acura ZDX proved. And, in all honesty, I'm surprised that the Nissan Juke is selling as well as it does, with that circus-clown exterior....although it's a nice small sub-compact SUV underneath that skin, with turbo power.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions

Agree completely. When the X5 showed up, everyone was whining about "there is no 'Ultimate Driving Machine SUV'" and look what we've got now.

X1, X3, X4, X5, X6, X7 and the public wants more of them!

F-Pace will quickly be Jaguar's best selling model in the US. I have no doubt.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Agree completely. When the X5 showed up, everyone was whining about "there is no 'Ultimate Driving Machine SUV'" and look what we've got now.

It's true that BMW managed to sell SUVs here, but the difference between BMW and Jaguar is that BMW has been long-established here, selling many sedans, coupes, and roadsters, where Jaguar is basically a Niche brand. You may be right, though.....Jag might be able to market it. We'll see.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Well, there are limits to the appeal of even some SUVs....as the Pontiac Aztek and Acura ZDX proved. And, in all honesty, I'm surprised that the Nissan Juke is selling as well as it does, with that circus-clown exterior....although it's a nice small sub-compact SUV underneath that skin, with turbo power.
Jaguar makes beautiful cars and IMO the F-Pace looks fantastic. And even questionable looking ones like the Infiniti QX80 sell well. I agree the Juke isn't a looker either but it does sell. Contrarily maybe Honda/Acura overdosed on the ugly since the Crosstour/ZDX did very poorly but it surely was other factors as well.

Yup....I think Audi is coming with a Q9 too and The GL offers a 450 and 550 and GL 63! The Escalade sells amazingly well and it starts at 80k now. There is a huge market for these types of SUVs. Bentley is next too!

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Jaguar makes beautiful cars and IMO the F-Pace looks fantastic.

Agreed it's a looker (as with most Jags), but will the public actually go look at it? Whenever I've been to a Jag dealership, (static-review, test-drive, questions, brand-research, etc...) it was almost like being in a 9-5 office at 2 AM.

The Escalade sells amazingly well and it starts at 80k now. There is a huge market for these types of SUVs.

The Escalade, granted, is a marketing masterpiece that sells on size, image, bling, interior trim, plushness, and the fact that celebrities/athletes own them, despite the fact that, like Tahoes and Suburbans, they ride and handle basically like what they were derived from (Silverados). Those with the 22" wheels, which is the current Escalade styling-rage, ride even more firmly...in fact, Consumer Reports just tested one this month.

And, considering its smaller size, IMO the Buick Enclave is just as well-trimmed inside as an Escalade, but it lacks the Escalade's massive size and celebrity-status.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Agreed it's a looker (as with most Jags), but will the public actually go look at it? Whenever I've been to a Jag dealership, (static-review, test-drive, questions, brand-research, etc...) it was almost like being in a 9-5 office at 2 AM.

The Escalade, granted, is a marketing masterpiece that sells on size, image, bling, interior trim, plushness, and the fact that celebrities/athletes own them, despite the fact that, like Tahoes and Suburbans, they ride and handle basically like what they were derived from (Silverados). Those with the 22" wheels, which is the current Escalade styling-rage, ride even more firmly...in fact, Consumer Reports just tested one this month.

And, considering its smaller size, IMO the Buick Enclave is just as well-trimmed inside as an Escalade, but it lacks the Escalade's massive size and celebrity-status.

I think they will do well, it looks good and this is a growing market. If it drives well (and new Jag's have nailed this) it will do even better.

The Escalade is the 500lbs gorilla in this market, nothing can touch it in regards to sales and to Caddy's credit they have improved it every generation substantially. Not how Caddy can sell a 80-100k Escalade but struggles with a 50-80k CTS. People like big Caddy's always have.

BOOSTEDLEX

Premium Member
Reactions
I have to agree with Mike, F-Pace well done. There is plenty of room for a Jag suv in the market. Even though it looks a little too much like the Infinity QX70.

We also might have Lamborghini soon entering the arena with the SpA Urus sport-utility concept (600hp) that was unveiled 2012 Beijing auto show for release in 2018 (looks more like a crossover vehicle). Totally different take than the previous Lamborghini LM002. The Escalade is a gorilla, but if an when this Lamborghini suv comes out, what would you rather spend that 80-100k on. IMO it wouldn't be an Escalade, heck it wouldn't even be the Audi Q9 or BMW X5 M or X6 M.( BMW's are about 20k over priced anyway)

Porsche brought out their suv at a good time, but as much as I love Porsche I wouldn't buy a Porsche Cayenne.

Being a Lexus GX460 owner for a few years and having a growing family, you start to understand the plus and minus of having one. I would like to see Lexus come up with a luxury van that I could comfortably fit the family and luggage for a long road trip. It would also be nice to take more than 4 clients at a time.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Was there even a first Jaguar crossover in North America? If so, I don't remember it......unless you are refering to the X-Type Estate Wagon, which was a wagon version of the X-Type sedan with AWD. That was actually a wagon of more or less normal ride-height rather than the typical raised-suspension wagon like the Subaru Outback, Volvo XC70, or Audi All-Road. But, yes, now that you mention it, by Jaguar standards, I guess you could call it crossover. It was actually based on the chassis/platform of the European Ford Mondeo, and, IMO, except for the wood and leather inside, quad headlights, and leaping-cat on the hood, was actually more of a Ford than a Jaguar. As far as its "success" went, it was even less popular in the U.S. than its unreliable sedan brother. (I reviewed a sedan X-type and was not impressed at all with its creak-and-squeak loose build quality). Even in the D.C. area, an enormous-sized new-car market, I don't remember seeing more than one or two X-Tyoe wagons on the road. It simply did not sell.

No, I meant the F-pace, which is their first SUV, and which hasn't been released yet. That was exactly my point; greenlighting a second SUV before the first one is even in the market IMHO is foolish.

I see your point, but I have to disagree with you here Mike. Yes the market is growing, but it is not limitless. Eventually it will hit a wall. Also even though a few members here have pointed out that most CUVs/SUVs seem to sell great on the market, there are also a few models that have so-so sales.

The Audi Q3 has poor sales for its class, and does the Lincoln MKX. The Nissan Juke, Xterra, Armada all sell poorly for their class. The Infiniti QX50 and QX70 sell very poorly for their class. The Kia Sportage notably sells quite poorly for its class as well.

So is it a guarantee the two Jaguar SUVs will sell well? Of course not. Is it possible, sure. It's also equally possible they could be terrible sellers, like some BMW or Infiniti CUV/SUV models.

I can see the executive thinking though going along the lines of "we need to join the SUV bandwagon, and profit margins are bigger". While I'm sure that's enticing to executives, large profit margins wouldn't be enough to overcome low sales, unless these Jaguar SUVs are going to be priced very high, at Lexus LX or Benz G-Class levels, which I highly doubt.

As I mentioned above to Mike as well, that's not exactly true. The X1, X4, and X6 have terrible sales numbers. So looking at the data, the public definitely does not want those vehicles. So the reality is, half of BMW's CUV/SUV lineup sells well, while half sells terribly. It's a similar story with Infiniti.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
No, I meant the F-pace, which is their first SUV, and which hasn't been released yet. That was exactly my point; greenlighting a second SUV before the first one is even in the market IMHO is foolish.

Thanks...that clears it up a little. :) We know that the AWD X-Class wagon I mentioned did poorly, but that was essentially a redone Ford Modeo. The F-Pace is at least more of a Jaguar, so if it flops, it won't have as much of an excuse. ;)

The Audi Q3 has poor sales for its class, and does the Lincoln MKX. The Nissan Juke, Xterra, Armada all sell poorly for their class. The Infiniti QX50 and QX70 sell very poorly for their class. The Kia Sportage notably sells quite poorly for its class as well.

Well, an all-new MKX is coming in a couple of months (I agree that the old one was unimpressive...... just a Ford Edge with wood and leather). From what little I could see of the new one, at the D.C. Auto Show last January (up on a turntable, withe doors open), it, like the smaller MKC, is head-and-shoulders better. The Juke's exterior looks probably explain its poor sales, though underneath the circus-clown skin, it is a nice solid subcompact SUV, with good turbo power. The Sportage, likewise, has a lot of good points (excellent build quality, for one), but its Ho-Hum interior trim (like an econobox) and Ho-Hum road manners/driving feel generally make it just basic AWD
transportation on the road.....not much else.

Reactions: CIF