November 2015 Lexus | Auto Sales

mikeavelli

Reactions
?.........I didn't see any specific RAV-4/CR-V numbers in the specific thread you linked. Maybe I just missed them, or didn't look closely enough. I've sometimes missed stuff before.

No, I just noted it. I don't comply the non luxury brands as you know :)

But here you go
December
Rav-4- 31,866
CR-V-31,185

YTD
CR-V- 345,647
RAV-4-315,412

Also of note

The Corolla outsold the Civic and Accord for 2015.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
No, I just noted it. I don't comply the non luxury brands as you know :)

Yes, that's right....forgot. Thanks for the work that you DO post, though. :)

But here you go
December
Rav-4- 31,866
CR-V-31,185

Hard to say for sure, but I still think that the CR-V's fall from the top of its class in reliability might have had some effect. That, and the fact that the RAV-4 is a newer design....the CR-V is near the end of its current generation. I expect to see it redesigned within 12-18 months.

Also of note

The Corolla outsold the Civic and Accord for 2015.

The last-generation Civic got off to a rocky start in 2012 with its excessive interior and exterior cheapness (uncharacteristic of Honda products)......so bad that they had to do an emergency interior upgrade the very next year. (I panned it myself in my review). And, the two-tier dash/instrument layout also turned off some other potential buyers. The new, present-generation Civic is just getting off to a start right now, so I think next year's comparison to the Corolla will be more significant than this one.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
BTW, Mike, 2015 was the best year EVER for auto sales in the American market. Here's an article from the Wall Street Journal. You can either keep it here if you want, or move it and start a new thread.

(And, of course, what is even more remarkable is that it includes the effect of the last 3-4 months of the VW scandal).

http://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-car-sales-poised-for-their-best-month-ever-1451999939

U.S. car sales hit an annual record, clearing a previous peak reached in 2000 as lower gas prices and interest rates spurred consumers to snap up vehicles from dealerships.

Auto makers sold 17.5 million light-duty cars and trucks in the U.S. in 2015, a 6% increase from a year earlier and topping the 17.4 million sold in 2000. Nearly every car company posted strong December results, taking advantage of two additional selling days and warm weather to cap off the year.

General Motors Co., the nation’s largest auto maker said its deliveries to dealers for the month rose 5.7% to 290,230 vehicles, bolstered by strong demand for its Silverado and GMC Sierra pickup trucks.

For the full year, GM said retail sales increased 8% from 2014 at 3.1 million vehicles.

Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV on Tuesday posted a 13% gain for the month to 217,527 vehicles, extending the Italian-U.S. auto maker’s sales gains streak to 69 months. Jeep brand sales soared 42% for their best month ever, helping the auto maker to its best month of sales in 90 years.

Its Cherokee, Compass and Renegade models individually reporting their best month of sales overall, and the Wrangler and Patriot recording their best December sales ever.

Its Ram brand sales overall were up 4% in December, but its pickup truck sales declined 2% compared with the same month a year earlier.

The auto maker said its full-year sales rose 7% to 2.24 million vehicles. It finished the year with an 81-day supply of unsold vehicles.

Ford Motor Co. reported its sales increased 8.3% to 237,606 vehicles for the Detroit auto maker’s best December. Sales of F-Series pickups rose above 85,000 for a 10-year high, and Ford brand sport-utility vehicle sales saw their best December since 2003.

For the full year, Ford’s U.S. sales rose 5.3% to 2.61 million vehicles. Its Lincoln luxury brand MKC and Navigator sport-utility vehicles contributed to the increase, pushing Lincoln’s overall sales up 7.1% to 101,227 vehicles despite a decline in Lincoln sedan sales.

Japanese auto makers also contributed to the month’s robust results, rolling out double-digit percentage increases over the year-ago period.

Toyota Motor Corp. said two additional selling days helped lift its new-car sales in the U.S. 11% to 238,350 vehicles. The Japanese auto maker also recorded its best-ever light-truck sales.

Honda Motor Co. reported U.S. sales rose 9.9% to 150,893 in December for an all-time annual sales record. Honda and Acura brand truck sales also set a record for annual sales, which rose 9.7%.

Nissan Motor Co. pushed out a December record with an 19% leap to 139,300 vehicles sold. Its crossovers, trucks and SUVs set a record for the month, rising a combined 41%.

With the auto industry in full throttle, Volkswagen AG’s emissions scandal weighed on its sales again, with the company posting a 9.1% drop to 30,956 vehicles sold in the U.S. On Monday, the U.S. Justice Department sued the embattled German auto maker, seeking billions of dollars in penalties in the wake of allegations it installed “defeat” devices to dupe emissions tests in diesel-powered vehicles sold in the U.S.

December has become an important selling month with year-end targets and holiday sales, according to auto researcher Kelley Blue Book. The firm estimates new-vehicle sales in December rose 13% to 1.7 million units for a seasonally adjusted annual rate of 18 million for the fourth consecutive month.

“As we move into the new year, expect this strength to continue, although at a slower rate than this year,” said Kelley Blue Book analyst Tim Fleming.

Increased interest rates, a glut of off-lease units lowering used-car prices and rising manufacturer incentive spending could stem new-car sales momentum.

Kelley Blue Book estimates the average transaction price for light vehicles in December climbed $297 to $34,428, or less than 1% from the same month last year as luxury sales rose to total more than 15% of the market.

The month caps a year of roaring sales of larger, pricier vehicles amid cheap fuel, low interest rates and a healthier economy.

“It’s truly remarkable that the auto industry is finishing off its best year ever just six years after the depths of the Great Recession,” Edmunds.com auto analyst Jessica Caldwell said.

Still, investors seemingly put little stock in the numbers on Tuesday as shares for GM and Ford fell as much as 4.8% and 3.5% in morning trading Tuesday.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
BTW, Mike, 2015 was the best year EVER for auto sales in the American market. Here's an article from the Wall Street Journal. You can either keep it here if you want, or move it and start a new thread.

Sorry.....I meant, if desired, to another existing sales-thread rather than a new one. ;)