Need Your Help with First ES3** Purchase

Reactions
Hi,

This is my first post. I'm interested in buying my first Lexus. I've owned Toyotas and (so far) ducked the Camry and Corolla engines that burn oil and blow head gaskets due to poor engine design (early 1ZZ-FE and 2AZ-FE).

I'm looking for an ES 3 series. Are there any problems with any of the engines as to burning oil or blowing head gaskets due to poor design?

How reliable are the transmissions? I'm looking at a 1997 ES300 with 135k miles for only $1,200, but owner says transmission is slipping. Owner is vague about maintenance, tersely noting "regular maintenance," but shy on details when asked about mileage for servicing (could be due to English being second language). Should I just pass on this deal, or look into it further?

Thanks

Will1991

Reactions
There is only so much we can ask from a car worth $1,200... It's quite "normal" to have some problems given how cheap it is...

Reactions
Thanks.

Have you noticed a pattern of any ES engines that are frequently burn oil or blow head gaskets, other than due to owner neglect/abuse?

suxeL

Follower
Reactions
Hi,

This is my first post. I'm interested in buying my first Lexus. I've owned Toyotas and (so far) ducked the Camry and Corolla engines that burn oil and blow head gaskets due to poor engine design (early 1ZZ-FE and 2AZ-FE).

I'm looking for an ES 3 series. Are there any problems with any of the engines as to burning oil or blowing head gaskets due to poor design?

How reliable are the transmissions? I'm looking at a 1997 ES300 with 135k miles for only $1,200, but owner says transmission is slipping. Owner is vague about maintenance, tersely noting "regular maintenance," but shy on details when asked about mileage for servicing (could be due to English being second language). Should I just pass on this deal, or look into it further?

Thanks

So you must be really good at DIY repairs if you dont mind a slipping transmission (Very costly repair majority of the time). I`m more risk averse when it comes to used vehicles that have bad powertrains. Get a pre-purchase inspection if possible ($150ish) from a Lexus dealer or a solid mechanic you personally have vetted or used in the past.