My story with the Vossen 2015 Audi S8 tuned with APR (650+hp)

mikeavelli

Reactions
image.jpeg I should have started this quite sometime ago but better late than never. For now I'll let this pic do the talking and I'll have driving impressions soon enough.

mikeavelli

Reactions
To be very honest, even in S8 guise, and those wheels, the current generation A8 still looks very bland to me.

I agree the lines are very familiar, the S8 has a different/sportier front bumper and other small touches to separate it from the A8. This is a SWB car not a LWB one.

However maybe my tastes are changing but to me it works. It is just elegant. Audi knows proportions being this is a FWD car in base form but it has no FWD look.

Everywhere I went from Cars & Coffee to parking at the mall/grocery store people stared and/or took pics and asked questions. Well maybe the wheels have something to do with it too lol.

It also features an H&R module to raise/lower the suspension!

mikeavelli

Reactions
First rate interior image.jpeg

Oddly enough no USB port lol

image.jpeg

This rear center armrest completely embarrasses mine which is plain leather.

mikeavelli

Reactions
She's a bit dirty here, would like to swap out to some lower dust brake pads. For 2016 Audi has now given this car more upgrades including it now having 605hp (from 520hp) and the MSRP DID NOT CHANGE!o_O

24425543930_1b2205bc10_b.jpg

With all due respect to my love for Lexus and even my own LS 460 F-Sport, if I could wing it I would get the new Audi S8 Plus in a heartbeat. I've driven the 7 (yet to drive the new one though) and S 550/S63 pretty extensively and the S8 makes me tingle. It is the one. What makes it even that much cooler is compared to the S class (which seems to be just as abundant as the Camry, all in black, white, silver) the S8 is as rare as it gets. You have to know about this car to even know it exists.

24353415319_bcd7f30521_b.jpg

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
My problem with Audi exteriors is that it's hard to visually differentiate the relatively common A4 and A6 from the A7 and A8/S8 so they end up with the seen-one-seen-em-all effect even though I know the A8 and S8 are formidible. I just looked at Audi's web page where they have all the models pictured next to each other and the effect is *really* bad. The web page designer should be yelled at for letting me see that.

Points awarded on this example for the killer Vossen wheels, the meaner S8 front-end, and that sweet rear armrest (my LS's isn't that nice, although I believe it's better on the long wheelbase version). Points deducted for the pop-up nav screen, which to me always screams "the designers couldn't integrate it meaningfully and gave up".

mikeavelli

Reactions
My problem with Audi exteriors is that it's hard to visually differentiate the relatively common A4 and A6 from the A7 and A8/S8 so they end up with the seen-one-seen-em-all effect even though I know the A8 and S8 are formidible. I just looked at Audi's web page where they have all the models pictured next to each other and the effect is *really* bad. The web page designer should be yelled at for letting me see that.

Points awarded on this example for the killer Vossen wheels, the meaner S8 front-end, and that sweet rear armrest (my LS's isn't that nice, although I believe it's better on the long wheelbase version). Points deducted for the pop-up nav screen, which to me always screams "the designers couldn't integrate it meaningfully and gave up".

I agree that all Audi sedans look very similar (SUVs too) and I confuse them all the time and I'm a car guy. That said I have grown fond of the large A3/A4 looks of the S8 since Audi nailed the proportions.

I agree, I love the sweet rear armrest, I wish our LS had one as good.

mikeavelli

Reactions
I really need to update this thread...

Audi_S8_CV3R_052.jpg

This is a 2015, for 2016+ it is now called an Audi S8 plus. For the SAME PRICE you gain 90hp and a few other bits. Now carbon ceramics are an option and more interior choices (there is still custom choices as well). There is a matte silver color as well as an option.

I thought the A4/A6 etc lines would bug me more but now I love the look. Maybe my tastes are changing but the S8 doesn't feel bland as I thought it would be. The proportions are perfect.

I'm not in love with the steering feel though or the small/thin steering wheel. For a big sedan its surely good but its not the most confidence inspiring. I would love them to touch that up. Now outside of that and some other small issues (there rear seat is really tiny for this size car, no USB port...) its just an absolute joy to drive and be in. It makes you grin and dammit thats what its about..

mikeavelli

Reactions
I love this car......the understated but augmented "S" styling does it for me. People are constantly staring or asking questions, its rarer down here than seeing Ferraris or Lambos lol

2lkqwzs.jpg

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions

Mikeavelli said:
I agree that all Audi sedans look very similar (SUVs too) and I confuse them all the time and I'm a car guy.

The way I see it, guys, is, if it ain't broke.................;)

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
The cons are (if one cares and it hasn't happened to me yet) that people do confuse it with the A6/A4 etc, including Valet lol

I understand what you're saying, and, because of the similar shapes, it can indeed be difficult, even with the difference in physical size, to differentiate the A4 from the A6 (I did a full-review on a new A4 not long ago). But, on the other hand, as I see it, anyone driving a car (valet or otherwise) who can't read simple letter/number combinations off a trunk-lid should not be entrusted with a license. ;)