My Brother's New Kia Sportage.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Certainly a interesting and unique engine but not applicable for following reasons:

. non-premium brand
. light truck/SUV
. turbocharged (yes it has the high torque numbers of modern turbo4 engine discussed earlier), not NA

Sorry.....I was unaware that the question involved a N/A six. Ecoboosts are indeed turbo.

On the premium-brand issue, though, an interesting point comes up...Ford and Lincoln often use the same engines, even Ecoboosts.....but not with the 2.7, which, from what I can tell, is strictly Ford.

But sorry we are getting too OT from your original Sportage topic. I remember Kia does offer a turbo option for those needing the additional power and torque.

Yes, the SX. While it has some admittedly nice features on it not found on (or optional on ) lower-line versions, my brother didn't want or need the turbo engine and stiff sport-suspension/tires. The LX and EX, for that matter, even with their somewhat more compliant suspensions and tires, aren't exactly a Lincoln Town Car in the ride-comfort department.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Sorry.....I was unaware that the question involved a N/A six. Ecoboosts are indeed turbo.

On the premium-brand issue, though, an interesting point comes up...Ford and Lincoln often use the same engines, even Ecoboosts.....but not with the 2.7, which, from what I can tell, is strictly Ford.

Yes, the SX. While it has some admittedly nice features on it not found on (or optional on ) lower-line versions, my brother didn't want or need the turbo engine and stiff sport-suspension/tires. The LX and EX, for that matter, even with their somewhat more compliant suspensions and tires, aren't exactly a Lincoln Town Car in the ride-comfort department.

I also didn't care for SX mainly due to pricing and limited selection. Neither version had the composed ride/handling of CX-5 GT on 19's and model-specific Toyo tires. All handled much better with greater control than a crappy Towncar with the unsprung weight of an old pickup truck.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I also didn't care for SX mainly due to pricing and limited selection. Neither version had the composed ride/handling of CX-5 GT on 19's and model-specific Toyo tires. All handled much better with greater control than a crappy Towncar with the unsprung weight of an old pickup truck.

Yes, I only used the Town Car as a ride-comfort cliche' / metaphor. I was in no way suggesting that it actually handled.

Can't comment on Toyo tires, as I've never owned a set. From what I've seen, though, overall, Michelin and Continental make the best ones I've sampled.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Yes, I only used the Town Car as a ride-comfort cliche' / metaphor. I was in no way suggesting that it actually handled.

Can't comment on Toyo tires, as I've never owned a set. From what I've seen, though, overall, Michelin and Continental make the best ones I've sampled.

Got it, a cliche (and very outdated) makes complete sense. Plenty of premium cars in 2015 have exceeded old Towncar ride comfort while providing better handling and safety/control, and less motion sickness too probably.

I wasn't speaking of generalizations about tire brands. Specifically the Toyo A23 tire standard on CX-5 GT provides good comfort, low noise (even when worn somewhat) and good handling/braking for an all season tire.

What tires (brand, model) were on Sportage?

Last edited:

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
What tires (brand, model) were on Sportage?

His LX had Kumho, 225/60R17 all-seasons...don't remember the precise designation. The Honda HR-Vs we looked at all came with Michelin all-seasons (possibly a better overall tire)...but my brother felt the Sportage was a better deal in other areas to compensate for that. He had also had Kumhos on the previous Kia Soul, which had worn pretty well.

The 60-profile-spec, at least in theory, may suggest a soft ride and so-so steering response, but, in actually, the ride and handling is somewhat on the firm side because of the suspension itself. Even more so, of course, is the SX's stiffer underpinnings and 235/55-18's. EX models use the SX's larger tires, but with the LX's standard suspension.

Last edited:

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
The 60-profile-spec, at least in theory, may suggest a soft ride and so-so steering response, but, in actually, the ride and handling is somewhat on the firm side because of the suspension itself. Even more so, of course, is the SX's stiffer underpinnings and 235/55-18's. EX models use the SX's larger tires, but with the LX's standard suspension.

Like you said well, "in theory" when talking about only 1 inch difference in diameter. The reality is often something different (or indifferent might be better choice of words) with modern vehicles, including ride quality impact.

Yes, all the Sportages are known for hard ride compared to competition. Tire selection will help some. In the case of the Mazda CX-5 had similar ride quality with 19's (19's btw still a 55 series with plenty of sidewall) versus 17's partially because of cheaper Yokos on base models.

Last edited:

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
He ordered a couple of accessories for it...the factory splash/mud-guards and custom-fit rubber all weather mats. I felt that the guards were probably unneeded, as all Sportages, like most crossover SUVs, have a nice belt of black cladding all around the bottom of the vehicle and up inside each wheel-well to protect from gravel, sand, salt, etc..... but he wanted them. I'm going to stick on an aftermarket (and much cheaper) body-side molding for him myself (probably the same one I put on my own car), to help protect the doors from the usual parking-lot dings. They are generally not difficult to apply if you align, measure and cut the moulding carefully, and leave enough space at the door-gaps for the doors to open and close freely without binding.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Did the Sportage come with the retractable/remove able rear cargo area cover? The better engineered ones (Mazda, Toyota, Benz, for example) are very useful and effective for security. Make sure he gets discounts on all accessories.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Did the Sportage come with the retractable/remove able rear cargo area cover?

He's OK with a blanket for now. ;) He usually doesn't carry much back there.

Make sure he gets discounts on all accessories.

He's had discounts there for years......on both his last car and this one. I'm going to do the side-moldings for him myself, so that is not an issue on those. That's why he likes the place....they have treated him with excellent customer service over the years. And it doesn't hurt that the dealership's owner just got elected to Congress.........yes, my brother's own district. ;)

In all fairness, though, it seems like many dealerships today, not just this one, are bending over backwards to try and serve their customers well. My own Chevy/Buick/GMC shop, just a couple of miles from my brother's Volvo/Kia shop, also has good customer service and gives discounts. I know the owner from my high school days...we were in several classes together, though we aren't really close friends back then, and remain just acquaintances today.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
He's OK with a blanket for now. ;) He usually doesn't carry much back there.

He's had discounts there for years......on both his last car and this one. I'm going to do the side-moldings for him myself, so that is not an issue on those. That's why he likes the place....they have treated him with excellent customer service over the years. And it doesn't hurt that the dealership's owner just got elected to Congress.........yes, my brother's own district. ;)

In all fairness, though, it seems like many dealerships today, not just this one, are bending over backwards to try and serve their customers well. My own Chevy/Buick/GMC shop, just a couple of miles from my brother's Volvo/Kia shop, also has good customer service and gives discounts. I know the owner from my high school days...we were in several classes together, though we aren't really close friends back then, and remain just acquaintances today.

Yes, and a nice retractable rear cargo cover tastefully finishes off a nice car much better than a blanket, even if nothing is stored underneath. Glad that he's getting expected discounts, because markup on accessories is obscene.

Interesting/good observations, I'm also finding non-premium dealerships here (specifically recent experiences with Ford and Mazda) are really stepping up their game. The Lexus top notch customer service is rubbing off is what we are seeing I hope...