My Brother's New Kia Sportage SX Turbo

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
My brother had an older Sportage LX that he felt was lacking in some of the new safety features that he wants (and feels safer with)......automatic emergency-braking, rear-cross-traffic-alert, back-up-camera, lane-departure warning, blind-spot-alert, mirror-mounted turn signals, etc..... So, he decided on an upgrade to a new SX turbo that had all of these features and a lot more (the SX really gives you a lot for the money, though it is substantially more expensive than the LX or EX). Unfortunately, it also comes with big 19" wheels and semi-rubber-band tires (expensive to replace), though the ride quality is surprisingly good for those big 19s....Kia supposedly worked on the suspension with the last re-design.

Before, he had only a 5-minute drive to work each way (roughly 2 miles), but now he has to commute substantially further each day, now that his company moved to a new building further out in the local D.C. area, in some dense and pretty harrowing traffic conditions.....thus the desire for more electronic Safety-Nannies (and AWD) that I myself can probably do without.

He liked the red and copper body-colors (especially the copper) with the two-tone black and "beige" leather.....which is really a tan color, not beige. Note the unusual yellow/gold striping on the edge of the seats...there is also matching yellow/gold stitching on the upper dash. I thought it was a really sharp color-combination. Only one was (currently) available like that in the D.C. area....that particular interior was difficult to find, and they had to bring it down from another dealership. Considering its hard-to-get status, and the fact that it wasn't a vehicle in stock on the lot, I'd say we got a pretty good deal...KBB Blue-Book for his trade and almost 5 grand off the 35K list price, including factory rebates, dealer-discount, and Kia's repeat/loyal-customer discount. He sprang for an wheel/tire protection package and a long-term protection package for the seat leather (I thought the wheel/tire repair/replacement protection was money well-spent, as you can pick up a nail anywhere, and we get a lot of potholes in this area in the winter). The leather-protection package, though, was a harder sell...my brother wanted to go for it, but I didn't see a need for it (if one is careful and doesn't eat or drink in the car) until the buisness-manager cut the price for that package some...then I reluctantly agreed. (It was my brother's car, of course, but he wanted my opinion right there). We turned down the other after-sale packages.....didn't see a need for them; just a waste of money.

Every recent Kia product I see, sit in, or test-drive, I continue to be impressed by how well the vehicles are screwed together at the factory, the solidness of their hardware and sheet metal, the thud-solid door closings (especially on their smaller vehicles), the excellent paint jobs for the price, and the general level of fit/finish. But, like many Korean and lower-priced Japanese-designed vehicles, they also continue, in most cases, to have overly-firm, relatively unsupportive seats and the sensation of more-or-less sitting on a park bench...I'm not sure I'd want to ride all day in one.

At my recommendation, he's spending his first night at home with it from the dealership going through the Owners' Manual getting familiar with the many different controls and screen-functions. This vehicle has a LOT of features on it....especially for the price. And the 2.0L turbo engine really helps it get out of its own way, even with the weight and drag of AWD.
wink.gif

There are basically images of what it looks like, but I hope to get some better actual camera-shots (the weather was a little crappy this afternoon, though, dried off under a carport at the dealership, I was still able to closely inspect the paint (as I always do) for scratches and other problems)....clean bill of health.
wink.gif

2017-Kia-Sportage-SX-Turbo-front-three-quarter-01.jpg

sportage-165.jpg

1483990343058476-large.jpg

1483990349384392-small.jpg

27-DH-2017-Kia-Sportage-SX-1024x683.jpg

Reactions
Did he bother to look at the new Niro? I am starting to see more of those on the streets. I've been recently thinking about that new Hyundai Elantra Sport. Fully loaded for around $25K and less...

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Did he bother to look at the new Niro? I am starting to see more of those on the streets.

Absolutely he did......in fact, the Niro was generally his second choice. He had read my own recent Niro review and a number of others. But, he felt the Niro didn't sit high enough off the ground for his not-so-young back, (easier entry/exit from the Sportage's front seat), didn't offer AWD for bad weather, had low-traction/low-rolling-resistance tires that didn't offer a lot of grip on slick roads, lacked the copper color and the two-tone interior we wanted, and only offered some of the electronic safety-nannies he wanted as optional packages on the top-of-the-line Touring version, which would have made it cost almost as as much as the vehicle he settled on. Plus, despite a new body last year, he felt that many of the major components on the Sportage had been in production one enough to be reliable (the Sportage, in fact, does have a good reliability record), where the Niro was essentially a new, untested design. And, of course, except for an occasionally balky right-hand power-mirror adjustment (the electric motor was replaced under warranty) he had had good experience with his previous Sportage. I do agree, though, that the Niro, like virtually all Kia products, seems to use good materials inside and out and come from the factory well-screwed together, at least as a brand-new vehicle.

I've been recently thinking about that new Hyundai Elantra Sport. Fully loaded for around $25K and less...

Although it's a larger car physically, and you will no doubt pay considerably more for one than for an Elantra Sport (Kia hasn't announced pricing yet, but that will be obvious), you might (?) want to wait and see the new Stinger when it is introduced later in the year. I asked about it yesterday at the Kia shop, but they did not have a firm introduction date or price yet. There is a lot of anticipation in the auto press for this car......probably for a reason. ;)

http://www.kia.com/us/en/content/vehicles/upcoming-vehicles/2018-stinger

Last edited:
Reactions
Although it's a larger car physically, and you will no doubt pay considerably more for one than for an Elantra Sport (Kia hasn't announced pricing yet, but that will be obvious), you might (?) want to wait and see the new Stinger when it is introduced later in the year. I asked about it yesterday at the Kia shop, but they did not have a firm introduction date or price yet. There is a lot of anticipation in the auto press for this car......probably for a reason. ;)

http://www.kia.com/us/en/content/vehicles/upcoming-vehicles/2018-stinger
You got your Hyundais mixed up...

Elantra Sport:
IMG_3791.jpg

Genesis G80 Sport
2018-genesis-g80-now-with-a-twin-turbo-sport-trim-and-mild-facial-reconstruction-photos-and-info-news-car-and-driver-photo-672767-s-429x262.jpg

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
You got your Hyundais mixed up...

Yes, technically that's true, but Hyundai, of course, owns Kia....that's one reason why they have the same warranty. Anyhow, my point was that, though it's not the car for me, the Stinger, for some people, might be worth waiting for.

I've driven the latest-generation Elantra (not the Sport model). Nice small car, and well-built, but drove like an appliance.....had pretty much the same generic feel as most of its compact-sedan competitors (Sentra, Civic, Corolla, Cruze, Focus, etc...). I haven't sampled it, but I would imagine, though, that the Elantra Sport's added power and chassis revisions would put a little more spice into it. ;)

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Mike, I edited your title a bit for clarity (added "Sportage").

Thanks. :) Did I forget that? :confounded: I guess age is catching up to me LOL.

Yeah, my brother has become quite a Sportage fan. This is his second one...far nicer-equipped than the first.