Expert
Reactions
MM Test-Drive / Condensed Review: 2020 VW Tiguan SE
il_570xN.1424956627_8m9v.jpg

volkswagen-tiguan-1.jpg

cc_2020vws030003_02_640_2b2b.jpg

2019-VW-Tiguan_B2342342_o.jpg

DSC05632-2.jpg

^^^^ Optional third-row seating (which I don't recommend for best space efficiency inside)

2020-VW-Tiguan-cargo-area-with-2nd-and-3rd-row-seats-partially-down.jpg

By request from a close friend of mine, a condensed-review and test-drive of the 2020 VW Tiguan.

CLOSEST AMERICAN-MARKET COMPETITORS: Ford Escape, Chevrolet Equinox, Dodge Journey, Toyota RAV-4, Nissan Rogue, Honda CR-V, Mitsubishi Outlander, Hyundai Tucson, Kia Sportage, Subaru Forester.

IN A NUTSHELL: Competent, simple no-nonsense design, and well-built.

A close friend of mine, in a excellent ministry (I've known her and her husband many years), who now live in Sweden, recently asked me to check out new 2020 VWs, Volvos, and Peugeots (which are not available in the American market). So, at the 2020 D.C. Auto Show, I looked at all the new VWs and Volvos available here in the American market (additional models, of course, might be available in Europe)..and, from what I could see, I felt that the VW Tiguan, for the money, might be the best vehicle for them. She agreed....so, for them, I'm doing a test-drive and at least a short/condensed-review. I'll share my write-up with anyone else on the forum that might be interested in one.

OVERVIEW:

In the American market, the VW Tiguan competes in a literal sea of compact crossover/unibody SUVs (note the large number of lower-priced competitors I listed above, and there are a lot more if you include the slightly upscale or premium-brand ones as well). The current version is the second-generation model, having been redesigned in 2016 for the 2017 model year. Reflecting VW's huge worldwide presence (VW is much larger overseas than it is in the American market) it is currently produced in six different countries...Germany, Mexico, Algeria, Indonesia, India, Malaya, and Vietnam. Although a number of different drivetrain-combinations are offered overseas, all American-market versions include a standard 2.0 Turbo in-line four and 8-speed automatic transmission. For 2020, in the American market, nine different trim-versions are offered...S-FWD ($24,945), S-AWD ($26,245), SE-FWD ($27,095), SE-AWD ($28,395), SE R-Line Black FWD ($30,295), SE R-Line Black AWD ($31,595), SEL FWD ($32,245), SEL AWD ($33,545), and SEL Premium R-Line AWD ($38,795). The R-Line versions, of course, are the most sport-oriented, and carry the most unique trim.

For the review and test-drive, I felt that either the S-AWD or SE-AWD versions probably met my friend's needs the best for the money (lots of cold and snow in Sweden....it is an Arctic country). So, I chose an attractive, nice-looking SE version with the 4-Motion AWD and a minimum of options. It had a few flaws here and there (all vehicles do), but was generally a pleasant, competent vehicle...details coming up.

MODEL REVIEWED: 2020 VW Tiguan SE / 4-MOTION

BASE PRICE: $28,395

OPTIONS:

Cargo Divider: $370

Cargo Pull-Cover: $200

DESTINATION/FREIGHT: $1020

LIST PRICE AS REVIEWED: $29,985

DRIVETRAIN: 4-MOTION AWD, 2.0L Turbo in-line four, 184 HP, Torque 221 Ft-lbs, 8-speed Sport-Shift automatic transmission.

EPA MILEAGE RATING: 20 City, 27 Highway

EXTERIOR COLOR: Platinum Gray Metallic

INTERIOR: Strom Gray V-Tex Leatherette

PLUSSES:

VW Bumper-to-Bumper warranty increased to 4/50 for 2020.

Metallic paint no longer costs extra.

Well-designed suspension and underpinnings.

Rock-solid door closings.

Good interior space-efficiency from the conservative squarish design.

Superb, Cradle-Your-Body front seats.

Relatively simple, no-nonsense interior control/styling layout.

Killer stereo sound for this class.

MINUSES:

VW Powertrain warranty reduced to 4/50 for 2020.

Limited exterior color-choices.

Awkwardly-located brake pedal for large shoes.

Too small a vehicle for the optional third-row seating.

Low-speed transmission-shifting somewhat bumpy when cold.

American-market VW dealers do not have a good reputation for customer-service.

EXTERIOR:

The exterior is typical VW...conservative in design/styling, functional, well-constructed, and with solid-thunk door/hatch-closings. In many ways, it looks like a downsized version of the larger Atlas, and shares the same basic functionality of design. One nice thing outside is that VW apparently no longer charges extra for metallic exterior colors like most European makes do (and an increasing number of non-European ones). Unfortunately, the exterior-color choice is quite limited.....two blues and the usual black/silver/white/gray, and even all of those are not available on all of the trim lines. However, the nice conservative design makes for good interior space efficiency, as long as you limit it to two seat-rows (more on that later).

UNDERHOOD:

Raise the hood, and a nice, single gas-strut on the left holds it up for you....no fumbling with a manual prop-rod. The 2.0L turbo four fits in reasonably well, and leaves some room around the edges of the block for component-repair/access, but a large plastic engine cover blocks top-access. The battery is uncovered and easily accessible except for a couple of terminal-caps, and dipsticks/filler-caps/fluid-reservoirs are easily are easily accessible. The oil-dipstick has a nice feature.....a push-snap that helps secure it when you push it all the way in.

INTERIOR:

The Tiguan's interior, like the exterior, is basically simple, uncluttered, no-nonsense, and neatly-laid out. Materials used inside are not particularly lavish or plush, but are of decent quality, well-assembled, and with better fit/finish than some other recent VW products. Even with my big frame, I found that the front seats cradled my torso and thighs like a gloved hand....they were arguably the best feature inside. A conventional fore/aft transmission shift-lever is on the console. Analog-style electronic gauges on the dash are clear and easy to read. The conservative body style and good interior design means a lot of space efficiency inside, particularly if one eschews the optional third-row seating and sticks to two rows (which I'm sure my friends in Sweden will do). Even with the front seat adjusted for my large frame (and no sunroof housing), I found that there was still good legroom and headroom in the rear for someone my size (6' 2", 280 lbs)....which, for me, is rather unusual in this class of vehicle, even for crossover SUVs. I was also quite impressed with the stereo-sound quality for a vehicle of this class. In addition to the usual infotainment, phone, and driver-assist features, APP-Connect, Android, and Apple-Car-Play are included.

CARGO AREA:

The squarish, conservative design of the body, relatively high roofline, and relatively conventional D-Pillars also helps with rear cargo-space and visibility. The cargo area is fairly roomy for its class (again, much more so without the third-row seat option or with the seats down). It is trimmed in relatively nice materials for its class, but, like the interior, one could not call them plush. A $370 (accessory) cargo-divider and a ($200) pull-cover help separate and hide the cargo from prying eyes. Under the floor, in the usual space, is a full-size but temporary spare tire.

ON THE ROAD:

Start up the 2.0 turbo four with an engine start/stop button, and the engine idles reasonably smoothly and quietly, though lacking the refinement of V6/V8 powerplants and even some of the most refined fours. Its 184 HP and 221 ft-lbs. of torque seem adequate for most normal driving and lighter-duty tasks, even with the added weight and drag of the AWD system. At higher speeds on the road, its noise/vibration level is not obtrusive, but you know it's a four up front. The 8-Speed Sport-Shift transmission's first-to-second-gear shifts are bumpy and noticeable when the transmission is cold, and smooth out a little when warm, but some abrupt-shifting is still noticeable. Otherwise, no issues with the transmission....in the higher gears, generally shifts smoothly and on demand. There are several different programmable Drive-Modes, depending on road-conditions and performance/traction needs.

Underneath, the underpinnings and suspension exhibit the usual German-designed excellence. Ride comfort, handling, and steering-response were all well-integrated/balanced, and produced a good compromise of compliance over bumps with steering-response and lack of body roll. Road-noise (with the brand-new tires) and wind-noise are about average for this class, which means reasonably but not luxury-quiet. I also did not notice any of the small fore/aft porposing ride-motions that accompany some SUVs on the road. The brakes themselves were effective, but the pedal was not ideally located for big shoes like mine...one had to use some caution in going from gas-pedal to brake without the shoe catching on the side of the brake pedal.

THE VERDICT:

Seems more solidly-built than previous VW products. Sensible, functional design inside and out. Roomy for tall persons and cargo....in two-row seating arrangements. IMO stacks up well against other compact unibody crossovers. Decently good buy for the money, especially in the lower-trim versions. American-market VW dealers, though, have a history of sub-par customer service and inadequate repairs.

And, as Always......Happy Vehicle-Shopping.
smile.gif

MM