1673662607736.png

1673662621577.png

1673662635989.png

1673662651098.png

1673662669834.png

1673662681585.png

1673662694727.png

https://www.chevrolet.com/electric/bolt-euv

I was at my Chevy/Buick/GMC dealership today (one of the largest on the East Coast), getting a 4-wheel-alignment for my 2021 Encore GX It’s about two years old now…and I will shortly be doing a two-year-ownership-report. I figured, after two years, the wheels could use some alignment with some of the crap-roads in this area, but it wasn’t bad at all..…off-specs, but not very far. And I got a good price with VIP service-discount coupon from the dealership.

While I was there, I thought, since I had never test-driven an all-electric Chevy Bolt before, I’d go ahead and check one out today while I had the time, and a couple of them were in stock (they are “currently” rather hard to get…no pun intended). So, after a nice chat with the sales-rep about the latest GM vehicles and the auto market in general (he had sold me all three of my Buicks), he went and got me the key-fob to a new 2023 Chevy Bolt EUV…a somewhat larger version of the regular Chevy Bolt that is much like a electric version of my own Buick Encore GX, except with a somewhat lower roofline and slightly smaller cargo area. It was regular appliance-(Summit) White, with chrome trim and a black leather interior. A Bolt EUV Premier trim-version, it factory-listed for about 38K, but the dealership had an Adjusted-Market-Value sticker on it with 43K….5K over list. When I noted that, he told me that, only just recently, as slightly more Bolts have become available, did they mark them at 5K over list……before, they were 10K over list. (Not with my money, they aren’t…LOL). To be fair, though, electric-car-buyers sometimes get Federal or State tax-credits, HOV highway-lane-privilidges, and at my dealership, free recharges on request…..for me, the free recharging would eliminate one big possible headache to BEV ownership, as my own condo-townhouse is simply not feasible for an outdoor recharging-plug. That dealership has the latest 400-volt Super-Chargers that will go from a 0-100% charge in about an hour…less than that, of course, if the battery is not down low. There are also a number of Tesla-grade charging stations at local businesses near my house, but they may (?) need an adapter to fit the GM charge-plugs.

Anyhow, to the test-drive. My left leg has not been in the best of condition lately (In fact, I’m going to miss the January D.C. Auto Show this year because of it)…so I didn’t do one of my former and usual MM-grade reviews, but I did give it about a 10-mile test drive on a few different kinds of roads and checked out the interior, cargo area, and road-manners.

In short, with a couple of exceptions, this is one Honey of a little car….although it actually functions more like a crossover. GM put a lot of time and effort into all of the different versions of this Bolt, and, particularly with this larger/roomer EUV version, it shows. Unfortunately, I couldn’t even get it completely out of the dealer-lot before some clown in a big white Ford F-150 truck comes around a narrow entrance-curve, right at me on my side of the ramp, and, just as I went to hit the horn and the car’s automatic-regenerating braking system activated to avoid a collision, he saw me and swerved just enough to avoid hitting me. I’ve been test-driving cars for more than 50 years, and this is only the third close-call I’ve had…the other two were in a first-generation Porsche Panamera and a Nineties-vintage Pontiac Firebird Formula.

On the road (and even while sitting still) I liked this car MUCH more than the Tesla Model 3…the last full-electric car I sampled. Not only was this car more solidly-built, it had (mostly) a sensibly-designed interior/dash, a logical control-layout, and was far more user-friendly inside than a Tesla. There were no squeaks/rattles, everything fit tightly, and fit/finish was excellent. A number of the controls/switches inside (not everything) were from the standard GM-parts-bin-grade, but, IMO, that simply makes them easy to find and get used to….particularly for those like me who are already used to newer GM products. I am generally not as much of a Chevy fan as I am of Buick, my favorite nameplate, but, this, IMO, is probably the best Chevy product I have sampled in recent years.

PLUSSES (y)

The full-electric drive-train on this car is absolutely first-rate…IMO close to what I’d call perfection. Even though it doesn’t have the dragster-level-torque of the Tesla Model 3 that lunges you forward like a slingshot, it has enough power to get out of its own way, and enough for most normal driving. The road-manners are fit for a king. The electric motor is magic-carpet invisible/silent in its operation (especially compared to the 1500-2000 rpm-range vibrations of the turbo-three in my GX), the single-range transmission has no shifting at all, and the car just glides down the road in utter refinement. The ride comfort is generally good, and bumps/road imperfections are well-absorbed. There is little if any wind noise at most suburban-driving speeds, mostly due to the well-sealed doors and tightness of construction. The doors, unlike some other recent GM products, shut with a reasonably solid thunk. The steering, though not particularly quick, was reasonably responsive, and, like the drivetrain, was absolutely butter-smooth, with a very firm-feel to it….no sloppiness or overly-light numbness. I was very impressed with this car on the road….arguably the best small crossover of this size I’ve sampled….although I am also a big fan of the Encore GX’s road manners except for the turbo-three’s unrefinement at low speed.

MINUSES (n)

No vehicle is perfect, and this car is no exception. There were a few things I disliked, or felt that could have been done better. The first is the shifter on the console…an absolutely awful fore/aft row of small push-buttons for Park/Neutral combined with pull-up tabs on the edge for Drive and Reverse. The cargo-cover for the rather small rear hatch area was a thin, flimsy, and cheap-feeling…especially compared to the much nicer one in my Encore GX. The seat-padding is a little firmer than I’d like…somewhat along the lines of that found in many Subarus and Kia/Hyundais, but, then again, of course, I am used to (and generally prefer) the somewhat softer Buick seats. And some of the lower-dash controls for the climate system and seat/steering wheel heaters/coolers were difficult to figure out…they operate somewhat like piano-keys, but don’t always respond in the way one would expect, or respond at all.

THE VERDICT

But, all in all, this car is an honest effort by GM at a small useful BEV, and, based on my experience today, even with the less-than-ideal seat padding and the idiotic shifter buttons, I could easily see myself owning one, IF we are ever forced by our own Government (as we may well be) into electric vehicles, IF my dealership sells it at a reasonable price, and IF my dealership keeps the free-charging policy for its BEV customers. Otherwise……Encore GX, here I stay. In fact, for me, perhaps THE perfect vehicle would be an Encore GX with this Bolt’s drivetrain. Buick has hinted that there may (?) be an electric Encore GX in the future, but the GX is being redesigned in another year or two with what IMO is a much-less-attractive interior and exterior, so I may or may not pass on it.

And, as Always, Happy-Vehicle-Shopping.🙂

MM

DRIVING IS BELIEVING

Last edited:

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
I thought these looked nice for the segment, I'm happy to hear it drives nicely as well. I wouldn't hold the dumb shifter against them too much because everyone's doing dumb things with the shifter now and I don't know why. I had a brand-new ES350 as a service loaner last week and I was stunned that it had a completely normal PRNDL. The one downside is that Teslas are still the best road-trip EVs because of the Superchargers, but hopefully that situation will continue to improve.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I thought these looked nice for the segment, I'm happy to hear it drives nicely as well.

Yes, although the front seats were a little firm for my tastes, the powertrain is pure whipped cream, the steering a nice pleasant smooth and semi-firm, and the brakes lacking most of the touchiness of former hybrid/BEV brakes.

I wouldn't hold the dumb shifter against them too much because everyone's doing dumb things with the shifter now and I don't know why.

Some vehicles still retain the sensible fore/aft PRNDL lever. My Encore GX is one of them (one reason why I bought one)....the new Kia Sportage is another. I'm sure there are others as well.

The one downside is that Teslas are still the best road-trip EVs because of the Superchargers, but hopefully that situation will continue to improve.

They told me at the dealership that there is an adapter for electric GM cars that will allow them to use Tesla-grade chargers.

Last edited:

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
They told me at the dealership that there is an adapter for electric GM cars that will allow them to use Tesla-grade chargers.
As usual for a dealership, they gave you misleading information.
That adapter will not allow you to use Tesla superchargers currently (for level 3 fast charging for road trips, etc.).
That adapter will allow you to use a Tesla home garage charger (level 2 at 25-75 miles per hour, for overnight charging), such as this one in my garage.

Attachments

• D44EE694-E51D-4A06-9C8E-EDB8ACCFA026.jpeg
    D44EE694-E51D-4A06-9C8E-EDB8ACCFA026.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
As usual for a dealership, they gave you misleading information.
That adapter will not allow you to use Tesla superchargers currently (for level 3 fast charging for road trips, etc.).
That adapter will allow you to use a Tesla home garage charger (level 2 at 25-75 miles per hour, for overnight charging), such as this one in my garage.

OK, Steve, that's a valid point, but not necessarily misleading information for my purpose. I was actually discussing home-charging with them, as, for several reasons, I rarely take long trips any more. What's more, the dealership itself, gives out free charges on customer-request...with a Super-Charger. Hey, IMO, that's the least they can do if they are going to charge $5000 over list LOL.....although I'm sure that I wouldn't pay anywhere near that much if I were to get a Bolt myself, being a several-time-repeat-customer there (and having referred other customers).

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
OK, Steve, that's a valid point, but not necessarily misleading information for my purpose. I was actually discussing home-charging with them, as, for several reasons, I rarely take long trips any more. What's more, the dealership itself, gives out free charges on customer-request...with a Super-Charger. Hey, IMO, that's the least they can do if they are going to charge $5000 over list LOL.....although I'm sure that I wouldn't pay anywhere near that much if I were to get a Bolt myself, being a several-time-repeat-customer there (and having referred other customers).

Yes, dealer offering free charging at the dealership is inconvenient to say the least. a low cost gimmick since they require the fast charging capability on site for keeping test drive cars/cars in service department/inventory cars charged. Btw electric car charging (level 2 and 3) is usually considerably cheaper than gasoline per mile driven. ADM/gouge LOL, screw that.

As Ian said, "The one downside is that Teslas are still the best road-trip EVs because of the Superchargers, but hopefully that situation will continue to improve.", so the dealer mentioning the adapter is not applicable. It's no surprise their EV sales volume is very very small.

Last edited:

Levi

Expert
Reactions
This foray into the world of air horns is more than just about producing sound. It's about creating an auditory experience that resonates, quite literally. Given the company's rich history in crafting tools that withstand rigorous use, one can expect their air horn kit to be built for the extremes, whether it's for emergency scenarios, outdoor events, or industrial applications.

Beyond the technicalities, the DeWalt Air Horn Kit poses several intriguing questions: What drives a renowned power tool brand to explore sound equipment? How will the brand’s engineering prowess translate into the auditory spectrum? And most importantly, will this new venture redefine the standards for air horns, much like how their drills and saws set benchmarks in the tool industry?

In summary, the DeWalt Air Horn Kit is not just another product in the market. It's a testament to the brand's commitment to innovation and a reminder of how boundaries in the world of tools and machinery are constantly evolving.
:unsure:

Account hacked by AI?

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Hacks like that where it just pastes some kind of promotional thing long predate AI, unfortunately.