SY7SE64E25IYZJER24FELYCQ5M.jpg

e90ba44d56a547c2d4d5a4db32822bab.jpg

Screenshot_2.jpg

20230330_141223-scaled.jpg

1703003836171.png

2024mas110142_1280_28.png

2024-mazda-cx-90-7746-642575499e757.jpg

PHEV%20covered.jpg

IN A NUTSHELL: Typical Mazda sport-orientation for those with a fairly large family.

Per Forum-Member-Request, an evaluation of the latest 2024 Mazda CX-90.

OVERVIEW:

The CX90 is Mazda’s largest U.S.-market SUV, although, like most SUVs today, it uses a car-based crossover frame and design. It currently sits at the top of the Mazda SUV line-up, including the CX-30, the CX-5, the CX-50, and the CX-90….although a local Mazda dealership told me today that a new CX-70 or equivalent may (?) be in the works to replace the old CX-7 that was discontinued several years ago. It put into production, it would slot in between the CX-90 and the CX-50. Even so, the CX-90 is not a particularly large crossover on the outside, and, by today’s standards, can probably be considered medium-sized, along with many other competitors in this size-range.

TRIM-VERSIONS:

In the U.S. market, eight different gasoline versions are offered. Turbo Select Models start at $39,595, Turbo Preferred at $43,445, Turbo Preferred Plus at $45,900, Turbo Premium at $48,900, Turbo Premium Plus at $52,950, Turbo S at $51,750, Turbo S Premium at $56,450, and Turbo S Premium-Plus at $59,950. All gasoline versions come with an in-line 3.3L Skyactiv turbocharged in-line six, with 280 HP at 5000-6000 RPM, 332 ft-lbs. of torque at 2000-3500 RPM, and a Sport-Shift 8-speed automatic with paddle-shifters on the steering wheel. Yes, you heard that right, a traditional in-line six….Mazda being one of the very few automakers still offering that engine-configuration in the American market. All gasoline versions come with the RWD-biased i-ACTIV All-Wheel-Drive. There are three different extended-range/Plug-in-Hybrid versions…..PHEV Preferred at $49,945, PHEV Premium at $54,400, and PHEV Premium-Plus at $57.450. All hybrids use a non-turbo in-line 4 and a 68-Watt electric motor for a total of 323 HP at 6000 RPM and 369 ft-lbs. of torque at 4000 RPM…..slightly different power figures depending on regular or premium fuel. Hybrids use the same 8-speed automatic and All-Wheel-Drive system as the gasoline versions.

VERSION REVIEWED:

A gas-powered Turbo-Preferred in Gray with black interior, as I felt that the lower-trim versions gave the best values, although they lacked a few nice features like cooled/ventilated seats and a 360-degree camera-view. It listed for $46,215, although Mazda’s end-of-year incentive (which was part of the factory-sticker) knocked off $1000, for a list of $45,215.

EXTERIOR:

I generally like the handsome, fairly conservative styling of the CX-90, although the grille, like on many newer vehicles, is a little large for my tastes. The lines are tasteful, and, while the D-pillars are large enough to block at least a little of the rear-quarter vision, visibility is not seriously compromised like on some other over-styled crossovers. The doors are not classic Thunk-Solid when closing, but are solid-enough feeling not to give a feeling of cheapness. Mazda has a reputation for recently doing some excellent paint jobs, and the gorgeous Soul Red Crystal will knock your socks off. Most of the exterior sheet metal feels decently solid, although the hood has a light, tinny feel and shuts with a cheap-sound/feel. Some of the exterior trim-strips have a muted finish rather than bright chrome.

UNDERHOOD:

The aforementioned hood may feel cheap, but it has two nice gas struts to hold it up….no fumbling with an awkward prop-rod. An enormous gray plastic cover completely obscures the longitudinally-mounted in-line 6, but also has something the salesman showed me.......a little trick, and something I haven’t before. A small twist-off cap lever in front of the cover instantly unclips it, and you can easily remove the whole cover to get to many engine-components. Nifty feature….wish more vehicles had it. The battery, though, is in a terrible place…back on the far left, hidden behind another smaller black clip-off plastic cover, and partially-hidden under the firewall. Doing jump-starts (which can be risky for today’s computer-equipped vehicles to start with) is even more difficult with a design like this. The relatively few dipsticks/fluid-reservoirs/filler-caps are generally easily marked and accessible. Unlike most hybrids, there is little difference underhood between the gas and hybrid version, since the electric motor is not readily visible, except that the hybrid uses a different battery.

INTERIOR:

The interior of the CX-90 is generally a pleasant place to sit in and drive, although the seat-cushions in both the front and back are a little firmer than I would prefer. Several different colors of both Leather and Leatherette are available, depending on the CX-90 trim-version.....my test-vehicle had the Black Leather. The upholstery seems well-done and of high quality. The sunroof and its housing compromises some headroom for taller persons, but, at the lowest seat-cushion height in front, I had adequate room at 6’ 1” and a cap on. The padded materials and brushed-metal trim inside were well-done, well-fitted, and of nice-feeling quality……Mazda has recently gotten a reputation for not cutting corners inside. The stereo is quite good, as expected in this class. Most or all of the expected electronic functions expected today are available in the video-screen, except that the camera on the Preferred Trim-version lacks the 360-surround feature that I find quite useful when parking….you have to go to a higher trim-level to get that. The video screen itself has a somewhat vertical tacked-on look in the middle of the dash…but, even there, again, Mazda didn’t necessarily cut corners…it is as solidly attached as a rock, and doesn’t have the loose or creaky feel of some similar type of attachments. The steering wheel is a nice design, well-covered in leather, and feels comfortable to use. The dash-graphics and gauges are clear and easy to read, although the scroll-options in the video screen aren’t the easiest to decipher and use. The third-row seat, in back, like in most crossovers, is generally useful only for children or small adults….don’t try and stuff any NBA players back there LOL. But, even then, I’ve sen lots worse in terms of third-row-seat room. All in all, a generally nice interior.

CARGO AREA:

Because of the CX-90’s fairly conservative styling, the cargo area in back is reasonably well-shaped and roomy. The hatch-lid, of course, has the usual power-lift/lower buttons. Built-in strap-pulls on the back of the small third-row seats drop-fold both the headrests and the seats themself down for added space….the headrests flip back up when needed. A carpeted floor-cover panel unclips, pulls up, and jacking-tools for the full-size temporary spare tire are in a molded-foam compartment under the cover. Lift up the tool-compartment, and the temporary-spare itself is underneath, although it fits in somewhat tightly. The whole cargo area is generally well-finished for the price, with black carpet trim and what is usually expected in a vehicle of this price-class….although my test-vehicle did not seem to include a cargo-cover panel to hide contents in back from prying-eyes. Tinted windows, of course, also make some of those things less-visible.

ON THE ROAD:

On the road, the CX-90, though primarily a family-vehicle, exhibits a noticeable amount of the sport-orientation and driver-input that Mazdas have a reputation for. The engine warms to operating-temperature fairly quickly, even with the heater-fan blowing (which normally takes heat out of the engine to heat the cabin or defrost the windshield as the engine warms). The turbo in-line six produces enough power for most normal driving…certainly more than I typically use on a daily-basis. As is common in this class, there are several different drive-modes, with console-controls. The 8-speed automatic transmission generally shifts smoothly and quietly…the conventional fore/aft console-lever(with a side-motion for Park) is used for forward/reverse, and manual downshifting/upshifting with the steering-wheel paddles. The turning-radius is quite small for a vehicle this size (actually not much more than my own subcompact Buick Encore GX)……which, of course, helps with maneuverability and parking. Wind and engine-noise are generally well-controlled, and road-noise even on coarse surfaces is acceptable for my tastes, with the admittedly brand-new tires on my test-vehicle. Steering effort seems sport-oriented, and has a noticeable firmness, particularly at very low speeds and/or when turning in tight quarters.Although of course this is no Miata, handling and steering are generally responsive, and there is less body-roll than one would expect from a fairly large crossover. Ride comfort is acceptable to my tastes and not bad at all, but generally just a tad stiffer than I would prefer…..I tend to like soft suspensions and tires. The brakes have adequate stopping power, but the pedal is somewhat softer and more spongy-feeling than I like…my own Encore GX has a much firmer pedal with immediate response.

OVERALL:

If I had a substantial family, I could easily live with this vehicle as a daily-driver…although I am single, and, for several different reasons, prefer something smaller and easier to park in short spaces. The CX-90 has a lot to offer, has a reasonable price at least in the lower-trim versions, has an in-line-six engine design you don’t see much of today, and has a number of other things going for it. It is slightly more sport-oriented than I would like, but that is a minor issue to me, and probably would be to most drivers. The 5/60 powertrain and 3/36 general warranty is not as long as that of many luxury-brand vehicles, but is comparable to that of most mainstream brands today. Some of the paint jobs are excellent. So, all in all, there are lots worse ways to spend one’s automotive dollar….particularly if there is a Mazda dealer close by, as you generally won’t find one on every street corner like you will with Ford, Chevy, Toyota, Hyundai, and Kia. As I write this, Mazda is also offering factory-incentives on this vehicle.

And, as Always, Happy Vehicle-Shopping.

MM

DRIVING IS BELIEVING

Last edited:
Reactions
MM Review/Test-Drive: 2024 Mazda CX-90

SY7SE64E25IYZJER24FELYCQ5M.jpg

e90ba44d56a547c2d4d5a4db32822bab.jpg

Screenshot_2.jpg

20230330_141223-scaled.jpg

View attachment 8558

2024mas110142_1280_28.png

2024-mazda-cx-90-7746-642575499e757.jpg

PHEV%20covered.jpg

IN A NUTSHELL: Typical Mazda sport-orientation for those with a fairly large family.

Per Forum-Member-Request, an evaluation of the latest 2024 Mazda CX-90.

OVERVIEW:

The CX90 is Mazda’s largest U.S.-market SUV, although, like most SUVs today, it uses a car-based crossover frame and design. It currently sits at the top of the Mazda SUV line-up, including the CX-30, the CX-5, the CX-50, and the CX-90….although a local Mazda dealership told me today that a new CX-70 or equivalent may (?) be in the works to replace the old CX-7 that was discontinued several years ago. It put into production, it would slot in between the CX-90 and the CX-50. Even so, the CX-90 is not a particularly large crossover on the outside, and, by today’s standards, can probably be considered medium-sized, along with many other competitors in this size-range.

TRIM-VERSIONS:

In the U.S. market, eight different gasoline versions are offered. Turbo Select Models start at $39,595, Turbo Preferred at $43,445, Turbo Preferred Plus at $45,900, Turbo Premium at $48,900, Turbo Premium Plus at $52,950, Turbo S at $51,750, Turbo S Premium at $56,450, and Turbo S Premium-Plus at $59,950. All gasoline versions come with an in-line 3.3L Skyactiv turbocharged in-line six, with 280 HP at 5000-6000 RPM, 332 ft-lbs. of torque at 2000-3500 RPM, and a Sport-Shift 8-speed automatic with paddle-shifters on the steering wheel. Yes, you heard that right, a traditional in-line six….Mazda being one of the very few automakers still offering that engine-configuration in the American market. All gasoline versions come with the RWD-biased i-ACTIV All-Wheel-Drive. There are three different extended-range/Plug-in-Hybrid versions…..PHEV Preferred at $49,945, PHEV Premium at $54,400, and PHEV Premium-Plus at $57.450. All hybrids use a non-turbo in-line 4 and a 68-Watt electric motor for a total of 323 HP at 6000 RPM and 369 ft-lbs. of torque at 4000 RPM…..slightly different power figures depending on regular or premium fuel. Hybrids use the same 8-speed automatic and All-Wheel-Drive system as the gasoline versions.

VERSION REVIEWED:

A gas-powered Turbo-Preferred in Gray with black interior, as I felt that the lower-trim versions gave the best values, although they lacked a few nice features like cooled/ventilated seats and a 360-degree camera-view. It listed for $46,215, although Mazda’s end-of-year incentive (which was part of the factory-sticker) knocked off $1000, for a list of $45,215.

EXTERIOR:

I generally like the handsome, fairly conservative styling of the CX-90, although the grille, like on many newer vehicles, is a little large for my tastes. The lines are tasteful, and, while the D-pillars are large enough to block at least a little of the rear-quarter vision, visibility is not seriously compromised like on some other over-styled crossovers. The doors are not classic Thunk-Solid when closing, but are solid-enough feeling not to give a feeling of cheapness. Mazda has a reputation for recently doing some excellent paint jobs, and the gorgeous Soul Red Crystal will knock your socks off. Most of the exterior sheet metal feels decently solid, although the hood has a light, tinny feel and shuts with a cheap-sound/feel. Some of the exterior trim-strips have a muted finish rather than bright chrome.

UNDERHOOD:

The aforementioned hood may feel cheap, but it has two nice gas struts to hold it up….no fumbling with an awkward prop-rod. An enormous gray plastic cover completely obscures the longitudinally-mounted in-line 6, but also has something the salesman showed me.......a little trick, and something I haven’t before. A small twist-off cap lever in front of the cover instantly unclips it, and you can easily remove the whole cover to get to many engine-components. Nifty feature….wish more vehicles had it. The battery, though, is in a terrible place…back on the far left, hidden behind another smaller black clip-off plastic cover, and partially-hidden under the firewall. Doing jump-starts (which can be risky for today’s computer-equipped vehicles to start with) is even more difficult with a design like this. The relatively few dipsticks/fluid-reservoirs/filler-caps are generally easily marked and accessible. Unlike most hybrids, there is little difference underhood between the gas and hybrid version, since the electric motor is not readily visible, except that the hybrid uses a different battery.

INTERIOR:

The interior of the CX-90 is generally a pleasant place to sit in and drive, although the seat-cushions in both the front and back are a little firmer than I would prefer. Several different colors of both Leather and Leatherette are available, depending on the CX-90 trim-version.....my test-vehicle had the Black Leather. The upholstery seems well-done and of high quality. The sunroof and its housing compromises some headroom for taller persons, but, at the lowest seat-cushion height in front, I had adequate room at 6’ 1” and a cap on. The padded materials and brushed-metal trim inside were well-done, well-fitted, and of nice-feeling quality……Mazda has recently gotten a reputation for not cutting corners inside. The stereo is quite good, as expected in this class. Most or all of the expected electronic functions expected today are available in the video-screen, except that the camera on the Preferred Trim-version lacks the 360-surround feature that I find quite useful when parking….you have to go to a higher trim-level to get that. The video screen itself has a somewhat vertical tacked-on look in the middle of the dash…but, even there, again, Mazda didn’t necessarily cut corners…it is as solidly attached as a rock, and doesn’t have the loose or creaky feel of some similar type of attachments. The steering wheel is a nice design, well-covered in leather, and feels comfortable to use. The dash-graphics and gauges are clear and easy to read, although the scroll-options in the video screen aren’t the easiest to decipher and use. The third-row seat, in back, like in most crossovers, is generally useful only for children or small adults….don’t try and stuff any NBA players back there LOL. But, even then, I’ve sen lots worse in terms of third-row-seat room. All in all, a generally nice interior.

CARGO AREA:

Because of the CX-90’s fairly conservative styling, the cargo area in back is reasonably well-shaped and roomy. The hatch-lid, of course, has the usual power-lift/lower buttons. Built-in strap-pulls on the back of the small third-row seats drop-fold both the headrests and the seats themself down for added space….the headrests flip back up when needed. A carpeted floor-cover panel unclips, pulls up, and jacking-tools for the full-size temporary spare tire are in a molded-foam compartment under the cover. Lift up the tool-compartment, and the temporary-spare itself is underneath, although it fits in somewhat tightly. The whole cargo area is generally well-finished for the price, with black carpet trim and what is usually expected in a vehicle of this price-class….although my test-vehicle did not seem to include a cargo-cover panel to hide contents in back from prying-eyes. Tinted windows, of course, also make some of those things less-visible.

ON THE ROAD:

On the road, the CX-90, though primarily a family-vehicle, exhibits a noticeable amount of the sport-orientation and driver-input that Mazdas have a reputation for. The engine warms to operating-temperature fairly quickly, even with the heater-fan blowing (which normally takes heat out of the engine to heat the cabin or defrost the windshield as the engine warms). The turbo in-line six produces enough power for most normal driving…certainly more than I typically use on a daily-basis. As is common in this class, there are several different drive-modes, with console-controls. The 8-speed automatic transmission generally shifts smoothly and quietly…the conventional fore/aft console-lever(with a side-motion for Park) is used for forward/reverse, and manual downshifting/upshifting with the steering-wheel paddles. The turning-radius is quite small for a vehicle this size (actually not much more than my own subcompact Buick Encore GX)……which, of course, helps with maneuverability and parking. Wind and engine-noise are generally well-controlled, and road-noise even on coarse surfaces is acceptable for my tastes, with the admittedly brand-new tires on my test-vehicle. Steering effort seems sport-oriented, and has a noticeable firmness, particularly at very low speeds and/or when turning in tight quarters.Although of course this is no Miata, handling and steering are generally responsive, and there is less body-roll than one would expect from a fairly large crossover. Ride comfort is acceptable to my tastes and not bad at all, but generally just a tad stiffer than I would prefer…..I tend to like soft suspensions and tires. The brakes have adequate stopping power, but the pedal is somewhat softer and more spongy-feeling than I like…my own Encore GX has a much firmer pedal with immediate response.

OVERALL:

If I had a substantial family, I could easily live with this vehicle as a daily-driver…although I am single, and, for several different reasons, prefer something smaller and easier to park in short spaces. The CX-90 has a lot to offer, has a reasonable price at least in the lower-trim versions, has an in-line-six engine design you don’t see much of today, and has a number of other things going for it. It is slightly more sport-oriented than I would like, but that is a minor issue to me, and probably would be to most drivers. The 5/60 powertrain and 3/36 general warranty is not as long as that of many luxury-brand vehicles, but is comparable to that of most mainstream brands today. Some of the paint jobs are excellent. So, all in all, there are lots worse ways to spend one’s automotive dollar….particularly if there is a Mazda dealer close by, as you generally won’t find one on every street corner like you will with Ford, Chevy, Toyota, Hyundai, and Kia. As I write this, Mazda is also offering factory-incentives on this vehicle.

And, as Always, Happy Vehicle-Shopping.

MM

DRIVING IS BELIEVING
I'm really hoping Mazda softens the ride cause I too enjoy cushy rides. The RX350h was cushy to me which I liked.

Anyone have input on BMW SUVs like X1, X3 or X5?

Cx-90 while nice is shockingly tight for a big SUV ...

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I'm really hoping Mazda softens the ride cause I too enjoy cushy rides. The RX350h was cushy to me which I liked.

Anyone have input on BMW SUVs like X1, X3 or X5?

Cx-90 while nice is shockingly tight for a big SUV ...

The CX-90's ride is not that firm....just a slight bit firmer than I'd like, but still on the comfortable side........particularly with the 55-series tires on the Preferred trim-level. I don't think you will find it objectionable....we're not talking about Mitsubishi-Evo or Subaru STI-stiff by any means. ;)

From what I saw, the interior, while not cavernous, isn't really that tight, except for the third-row seating, which is tight in most crossovers, and not really intended for tall adults. If you are tall, you may (?) have to lower the front seat cushion down all the way to get headroom under the sunroof housing.

Reactions
The CX-90's ride is not that firm....just a slight bit firmer than I'd like, but still on the comfortable side........particularly with the 55-series tires on the Preferred trim-level. I don't think you will find it objectionable....we're not talking about Mitsubishi-Evo or Subaru STI-stiff by any means. ;)

From what I saw, the interior, while not cavernous, isn't really that tight, except for the third-row seating, which is tight in most crossovers, and not really intended for tall adults. If you are tall, you may (?) have to lower the front seat cushion down all the way to get headroom under the sunroof housing.
I'm 5 ft 6. Not tall lol. My car would be BMW X1 size. Can't stand big cars. Hard to park and maneuver around my city. I'm a guy who loves easy to drive cars and the X1 fits the best nicely. No e door latches so less electronics to deal with and fast enough already (6.5 seconds 0 to 100 km per hr).

Very roomy SUV for its footprint. Slightly smaller than a Lexus NX but actually bigger cargo room due to boxy body. Legroom is excellent too. The CX5 is very tight. Poor packaging for fwd vehicle. It's longer than X1 but terrible. The CRV and Forester are model boxy vehicles to study if I wanted a roomy practical SUV ..