MM Full-Review.....2021/2022 Ford Bronco Sport

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
MM Full-Review.....2021/2022 Ford Bronco Sport

By Request, a Review of the all-new 2021/2022 Ford Bronco Sport.

https://www.ford.com/suvs/bronco-spo...eader-suvs-vhp

IN A NUTSHELL: Not as rugged as the larger full-size Bronco, but a good combination of utility, Macho-looks, space-efficiency, everyday-driving ease, and no-nonsense features.

919460.jpg

2021-Ford-Bronco-Sport-exterior-4.jpg

Ford_Bronco_Sport_2021_BIGBEND_KODIAK.tif

ford-bronco-sport-2021-03.jpg

bronco-sport-interior-04-1594669510.jpg

889_Leather_Trimmed_Seats.tif

2021-Ford-Bronco-Sport-cargo-area_B_o.jpg

5fda6ba6c910a400192e7e67

CLOSEST AMERICAN-MARKET COMPETITORS: Chevrolet Equinox, Jeep Cherokee, Nissan Rogue, Toyota RAV-4, Honda CR-V, Mazda CX-5, Subaru Forester, VW Tiguan, Kia Sportage, Hyundai Tucson, and Ford’s own Escape.

OVERVIEW:

Ever since 1996, when Ford dropped the full-size/truck-based Bronco line of SUVs, there have been calls from Bronco fans to bring back the storied nameplate, which originated in the mid-1960s as one of the first true domestic competitors to the off-road Willys/Kaiser Jeeps. Since the mid-1990s, however, when the first car-based crossover-SUVs (Outback, Forester, RAV-4, CR-V, etc….) appeared on the scene, the growth of that compact crossover AWD SUV market has been nothing less than astronomical. They have, for a number of reasons, become the Daily Drivers for millions of Americans, used for commuting, shopping, errands, driving the kids around, winter traction, occasional long trips, etc…you name it.

Around the time that Ford dropped the big full-size Bronco, GM dropped the two-door version of the competing Chevy C/K full-size / truck-based Blazer, transferring the name of the four-door version to the Tahoe, which still remains in production today. There have also been many calls from the Blazer-faithful to bring back its also-storied nameplate which originated in 1969. (The smaller compact truck-based S-10 Blazer, a twin of the GMC Jimmy, stayed on until 2005). GM and Ford took two markedly different routes to doing so, however. GM, in 2019, brought back the Blazer nameplate in what was a four-door redone crossover/car-based platform with a stylish/sport-oriented Camaro-influenced body and interior….essentially a slightly larger Equinox in running-shoes. Although it has sold in acceptable numbers, the auto-press was never impressed with it (neither was I)…and never had much good to say about it, claiming that it insulted the Blazer name.

Ford, in strong contrast to GM, took an (IMO) far better approach to bringing back the Bronco nameplate, although the intense hype over waiting for it, constantly-differing “spy photos” of what it would look like, and how it would be designed/constructed seemingly dragged on forever….at least several years. But, when the final designs were officially announced, Ford had actually come up with two all-new vehicles….a larger, mid-sized, Retro-Design, truck-based/full-frame Bronco…a classic Macho-SUV as fully off-road-capable as the Jeep Wrangler (which was considered its primary competitor), and the smaller, compact Bronco-Sport. The Bronco Sport was a car-based/crossover SUV, done on the same basic platform/underpinnings as the Ford Escape, intended more for typical shopping/errands that would appeal to millions in Suburbia just like its many competitors…..but also with a fair amount of off-road capability, if not as much as the larger and more Macho Bronco.

Like the larger Bronco, however (and unlike most competitors), the smaller Bronco Sport has a classic Retro-square body with the traditional SUV two-box design. It’s not quite as squarish as the larger Bronco, but close, and plenty-Retro by today’s standards. To satisfy the classic Two-door Bronco fans, the larger Bronco (but not the Bronco Sport) has that option, and can even be driven, like the Jeep Wrangler, with the doors removed. Bronco Sports are only available in the four-door configuration. It will appeal to those who, like my next-door neighbor, don’t quite need the larger Bronco’s tough off-road nature, are satisfied with the Ford Escape’s mission/capabilities, but aren’t impressed with the body styling or interior of the newest Escapes, and prefer the Bronco-Sport’s more non-nonsense approach to both. The Bronco Sport will give them the best of both worlds. The Bronco, fortunately, will be assembled at Ford’s Wayne, Michigan truck plant, utilizing American UAW jobs and labor. Unfortunately, the Bronco Sport will be assembled at Ford’s Hermosillo Plant in Mexico, where several of its car-based vehicles have been built for decades.

The Bronco Sport is offered in what are four basic trim-lines……Base ($27,265), Big Bend ($28,825), Outer Banks ($33,075), and Badlands ($33,935). Despite the slightly milder intention of the Bronco Sport compared to the larger Bronco, the outdoor naming-themes (Big-Bend, Badlands, and Outer Banks are all wilderness-inspired, the Bronco Sport does have some significant off-road capability, particularly the Badlands version. The Base, Big Bend, and Outer Banks versions come with a 1.5L EcoBoost turbocharged in-line three-cylinder engine (181 HP, 190 Ft-lbs. of torque) and 8-speed automatic transmission….the Badlands uses a larger 2.0L EcoBoost turbo in-line four (250 HP, 277 Ft-lbs. of torque) and the 8-speed automatic. All versions have the AWD system standard, which Ford refers to as the G.O.A.T (Go Over Any Terrain), particularly with the Badlands’ version twin-clutch rear-differential, although it is generally not as hard-core as the system on the larger Bronco, and lacks the larger Bronco’s transfer-case and low-range for serious off-road work. If it is a Front-Drive version you are looking for, you will have to look at the Ford Escape…… Ford didn’t do any versions of the Bronco Sport with FWD, although it could probably be easily adapted in the future if there is enough potential demand for it.

As usual, for the static-review, I examined a couple of different versions of the Bronco Sport. For the test-drive, since 2022 models are still relatively difficult to find, I selected a 2021 light bluish-gray non-metallic/Black Cloth-interior Big Bend Version (Ford calls the color “Area 51”) without any other options, which seemed relatively bargain-priced at around 30K. I was going to sample a silver base-version I had seen earlier at the dealership, but it was not on the market any more when I arrived today. The review and test-drive was a generally pleasant experience, and I dealt with a young but very courteous sales-rep, who used no pressure at all. After a clearly skewed new-vehicle market for many months, perhaps (?) the worst of the dealer price-gouging is about to be behind us. Like the Hyundai/Genesis dealership I was at last week for the GV70 review, which was only marking up Hyundai Palisades and nothing else, this Ford shop told me that they were asking MSRP (factory-sticker-price) on the 2022s (even Shelby Mustangs) except the Heavy-Duty F-350 truck. This 2021 Bronco Sport even had a slight discount. True, MSRP is not necessarily a bargain compared to what the former market was like. But it is a definite improvement from what we’ve seen recently, although if it were me, I’d still wait a little longer to buy unless circumstances dictated it right now.

OK, on with the Review.

MODEL REVIEWED: 2021 Ford Bronco Sport Big Bend 4X4

BASE PRICE: $28,720

OPTIONS: None

DESTINATION/FREIGHT: $1495 (Steep, even for a vehicle this size, but reflects the reality of the times)

LIST PRICE AS REVIEWED: $30,215

DRIVETRAIN: AWD/4WD, transversely (sideways)-mounted 1.5L in-line turbocharged three-cylinder engine, 181 HP @ 6000 RPM, Torque 190 Ft-lbs. @ 3000 RPM, 8-speed automatic.

EPA MILEAGE RATING: 25 City, 28 Highway, 26 Combined

EXTERIOR COLOR: Area 51 (light Blue-Gray non-metallic)

INTERIOR: Ebony (Black) Cloth

PLUSSES:

Extremely wide dealer network for sales and service.

Excellent space-efficiency from the squared-off design.

Relatively Docile and comfortable drive-characteristics on the road.

Many underhood components relatively easy to reach.

Lower-line versions quite reasonably-priced (if not marked-up).

Wide range of factory/dealer (and potential aftermarket) accessories availabl

Cloth upholstery of high-quality and easy to clean.

Relatively simple/uncluttered control layout.

Interesting paint-color-options depending on trim-version…..although some are extra-cost, and only a few are Metallic.

Relatively good ground-clearance and Approach/Departure angles for obstacles, though not as much as in the larger Bronco.

MINUSES:

Somewhat tight current supplies due to the pandemic and computer-chip-shortage.

Inconsistent repair/reliability record of (previous) smaller Ford-designed crossovers….will have to wait and see, of course, with this one.

Somewhat quirky/awkward (IMO) rotary-shifter for the transmission.

Cheap-feeling side mirror housings.

Bulky hood-line limits close-in view of the road in front of the driver.

Driver’s seat somewhat awkward to adjust…..Big Bend Package lacks power seat controls.

EXTERIOR:

As mentioned earlier, both the Bronco and Bronco Sport are strictly styled in the traditional square, two-box design made famous by SUVs many years ago, although the windshield of the Bronco Sport is slightly raked back a little more…..the Bronco’s more upright windshield makes it look almost like a shoe box. The Bronco is clearly the larger of the two…the four-door version is in mid-size-SUV territory, while the shorter two-door version makes it substantially more of a compact. In contrast, the Bronco Sport, which is available only with four doors, is, like the Ford Escape (whose platform it was based on), a compact crossover SUV, although the boxier styling and higher roofline makes it appear slightly larger than the current-generation Escape. There is no mistaking either of the two vehicles, however, for just what they are…..Broncos…..and that is basically what separates them from the Blazers at the Chevy dealership down the street.

As befits a vehicle designed for at least some off-road use and use on winter/salted roads, the Bronco Sport, to protect the body-color paint, has a wide belt of black-vinyl cladding that completely surrounds the bottom part of the vehicle, wheel wells, and the lower part of the front/rear ends. Every square inch inside the wheel wells also appears to have a coating that protects the metal underneath from harm from salt, winter-road-abrasives, stones/pebbles, and other harmful road debris. Most of the sheet metal, except for the somewhat lightweight hood, feels quite solid and substantial by today’s standards, although the four side doors don’t shut with a particularly solid thunk or feel. Badges on the leading edges of the front doors announce what specific Trim-Package you have (Big Bend, Outer Banks, etc…) Up front, the word B-R-O-N-C-O is spelled out on the low, wide grille, in either white or black-plastic lettering depending on trim version. I like the fact that on these vehicles, Ford resisted the tendency of other automakers to use whale-sized grilles that, IMO, look ludicrous. The headlights on the Bronco Sport are slightly more integrated with the grille/trim than on the larger Bronco, and slightly less than the way the original Bronco looked in the 1960s….the larger Bronco captures the original design a little more. Depending on the trim-level, a number of interesting paint colors are available, ranging from dull and appliance-like to bright blue, bright red, and bright orange (some of them cost extra). The non-metallic colors, particularly in the lighter shades, have a somewhat muted finish to them, although they are not considered matte colors. On the split-level roof (the rear is slightly higher than the front, for better rear headroom) is a pair of very securely-attached roof-rails….they don’t have a somewhat loose feel like on some crossovers and SUVs. The wheels on the Base version of the 2021 Bronco Sport (they changed the design a little for 2022) seem best-suited for off-roading or winter salt/abrasives…they are the simplest design, and have the most basic non-nonsense paint/finish. Ground clearance and Approach/Departure angles for off-road-obstacles looked quite good. One thing I did not particularly like on the Bronco Sport’s exterior, particularly the Base version, is the light/cheap/flimsy feel to the side-mirror housings….which is characteristic of a number of Ford products.

UNDERHOOD:

Raise the lightweight hood, and it is held in place by a cheap manual prop-rod, although the hood itself is light enough (perhaps aluminum?) that lifting it for the prop-rod is generally little problem, except for those with very weak arms or shoulders. The squarish front-end styling provides plenty of room underhood for the transversely-mounted turbo-1.5L three or 2.0L turbo-four (as opposed to the longitudinal mount on the engine for the larger Bronco), and the engine fits in well enough to have some room to reach some side-components, although, as with most engines today, a plastic cover prevents access to top-engine components until it is removed. The battery is mounted to the right rear of the engine compartment, but it is relatively easy to reach, and the terminals have relatively easy access. Dipsticks, filler-caps, and fluid-reservoirs are generally easy to reach and service. There seems to be somewhat more hoses/tubes/piping underhood than is common for vehicles these days….but not as bad as what we saw in the late 1970s and 1980s. Closing the lightweight hood produces a somewhat light but solid, secure sound and attachment.

INTERIOR:

While not terribly Spartan by any means (especially compared to the original 1960s Bronco, which was military-stark inside), the interior of the Bronco Sport is definitely not intended to be that of a luxury-SUV. However, it is functional, useful, versatile, and relatively comfortable. I really disliked only two things inside…..One, the (IMO) somewhat awkward Rotary shifter on the console for the 8-speed automatic transmission, increasingly common now on Ford products, although the fact that you have a lighted gear-indicator on the dash to help you is a plus. Second, the plastic manual-control pump-levers for the Driver’s seat (no power controls in the Big Bend Package), some of which were not easy to reach, which made seat-adjustments a little more difficult. But, other than that, I didn’t have any real beefs with the interior. Most of the materials and hardware used inside were at least acceptable in quality, although some varied from quite solid in feel to somewhat flimsy and borderline. The black cloth for the seats felt of good quality, reasonably soft and comfortable (like the sister Ford Escape, more so in front than in the rear) and the cloth has a standard factory-applied coating/treatment that makes it easy, like with vinyl, to wipe it down and clean it if it gets dirty (that feature will come in handy for off-road use or carrying pets). Some versions, of course, have leather-trimmed seating. Seating comfort was good up front even for a big person my size, rear legroom (depending on how the front seats were adjusted) was OK for all except large adults, and the rear roofline/ceiling steps up an inch or so to give added headroom for rear-seat passengers. The sport-steering wheel, with the classic Bronco-horse logo on it, is thick, attractive, and comfortable to hold. Most of the gauges/dials were well-laid-out easy to read, although the blue/black/white speedometer and tachometer had unusual-looking MPH numbers on them. The Bronco Sport’s interior, being designed for somewhat more docile use than in the larger Bronco, lacks the big padded Grab-Bars that are built into the Bronco’s dash and console for rough use off-road. I didn’t listen to the stereo much, but it seemed OK for a vehicle of this price, but the dash-screen, mounted vertically on top of the dash, is definitely smaller than what is normally seen in vehicles like this, although I didn’t list it as a formal complaint, as, to me, that is not a big deal.

CARGO COMPARTMENT/TRUNK:

Raise the rear hatch-lid, and the cargo area is quite roomy and space-efficient inside, due once again to the square design of the roofline. Moderately tall or bulky items can generally be carried with no problem. The cargo floor is covered in a thin but generally nice-feeling black carpet, with the side-walls in black plastic trim…..although, if not standard, some owners will want the available cargo cover and/or the Cargo-Management System with the built-in camp-table. The split-rear rear seats, as in most vehicles these days, can be folded down to increase cargo room. Under the floor of most versions is a Mini-Spare tire, although the top-line Badlands model, as the most off-road-capable version, has a real spare tire and wheel….something that all vehicles once had, and, IMO, should still have.

ON THE ROAD

Start the engine with the standard push-button on the dash, and the 1.5L Three comes to life and idles smoothly without the momentary jerk you first get in GM’s smaller 1.3L in-line three-cylinder. Don’t let the three cylinders fool you…especially with the turbo if needed, there is adequate power for virtually all normal driving. This 1.5L three is noticeably better-refined than some earlier Ford EcoBoost threes, with less noise at lower RPMs than is found in GM’s three….although, in Buicks, the amount of sound-insulation that the company typically uses also helps. This 1.5L in the lower-line Bronco Sport models seems perfectly fine for most drivers, particularly for lighter loads and away from steep hills. But, if more power is needed or wanted, the larger turbocharged 2.0L four in the Badlands model should do the trick. The 8-speed automatic shifts smoothly, though as I said earlier, I could do without the rotary-shifter. There are several different Driving-modes for varying road and powertrain conditions, also adjustable by a small console rotary-knob.

Ride comfort, though not luxury-SUV-soft, is reasonably comfortable on most surfaces, with only a hint of firmness. it is helped somewhat by the relatively high-profile tires with a fair amount of bump-absorbing sidewall, and a suspension that is probably not as stiff as the larger Bronco’s heavier-duty underpinnings….although I did not drive a larger Bronco to directly compare them. Wind noise is generally well-damped, and tire-noise, with the standard tires, seemed acceptable even on somewhat porous pavement. Steering response was a little on the slow-to-moderate side, but, of course, this is not intended to be a sports-car, and it was OK for most normal driving. I did not notice a lot of body roll, even with the relatively high center of gravity, but I generally don’t push a vehicle to the limits. I didn’t notice any significant problems with he brakes, which were reasonably smooth and effective. The high, bulky hood-line in front of the driver, though, while allowing plenty of room underhood, does block a little more of the view of the road close in front of the vehicle than is the case with more aero-styled crossovers and SUVs….and most vehicles do not allow the camera-view functions except at very low speeds.

THE VERDICT:

This is the perfect vehicle for those who want the classic Bronco’s image, styling, space-efficiency, and go-anywhere personality in a smaller, less-expensive package, although, with the Bronco Sport, it’s more of a matter of Go-ALMOST-Anywhere because of its less-robust frame and underpinnings, which are more car-based than truck-based. However, most drivers, at least most of the time, aren’t trying to negotiate the Rubicon Trail or two-foot-deep creek-beds….so, in most cases, the Bronco Sport will do just fine. And, of course, it stands ready to do what so much of today’s driving is centered round….shopping, commuting, errands, kids, pets, etc…..where the Easy-Clean cloth seats are a bonus if you don’t get a version with the leather-trim.

Beefs? As aforementioned, I’d dump the rotary-shifter and replace it with a traditional PRNDL lever, maybe put in a little nicer video-screen, and maybe dump the manual-seat-levers and use power seats in the Big Bend version, but none of those, IMO, are deal-breakers. Ford’s smaller crossovers, though, do have an inconsistent reliability history (some are troublesome, and others reasonably reliable…at least average or above), so only time and customer-driven miles will tell how the Escape-based Bronco Sport holds up in the long run. if it DOES need service or repair, though, Ford’s huge network of dealerships is always a big plus.

And, as always......Happy car-shopping.
smile.gif

MM

DRIVING IS BELIEVING
boink.gif

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
offroad escape?

Yes, to some extent.....but, aside from the common platform-sharing, the Escape and Bronco Sport are two markedly different vehicles, with vastly-different images. And, although I didn't actually drive it off-road, from the underpinnings and powertrain, it is clearly not as much of a Mountain-Goat as the larger truck-based Bronco.

Just FYI, since you have NX in your User-ID, my next planned review (by request) is the 2022 Lexus NX, when available. In my area (D.C. suburbs), only leftover 2021s are available right now.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
Yes, to some extent.....but, aside from the common platform-sharing, the Escape and Bronco Sport are two markedly different vehicles, with vastly-different images. And, although I didn't actually drive it off-road, from the underpinnings and powertrain, it is clearly not as much of a Mountain-Goat as the larger truck-based Bronco.

Just FYI, since you have NX in your User-ID, my next planned review (by request) is the 2022 Lexus NX, when available. In my area (D.C. suburbs), only leftover 2021s are available right now.
Look forward to the NX 22 review!

The bronco sport and escape marketed towards to separate demographics. While the escape is urban chic, the bronco sport is offroad light. Same product marketed differently imho. Good for Ford covering the entire small CUV space.