Miss the Ford Ranger? Or the Ford Bronco? Both might be coming back.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Low fuel prices, right now, are also helping with truck sales, although the Ranger couldn't really be included among the most fuel-guzzlers.

Strictly my opinion here (not necessarily fact)...but, just as the Dodge engineers, with the last major redesign of the Ram, gave that truck unprecedented ride-comfort/noise-isolation/refinement among full-size trucks, I think Ford engineers would be wise to do the same for the new Ranger. The last Ranger (and this may have also impacted its sales somewhat) was rather uncomfortable to drive and/or ride in. The Ram's driving manners have really helped with its image and sales, and would probably also do the same for the Ranger among mid-sizers. While many truck buyers today, especially the more traditional ones, are still more concerned with the capability to work or tow than with driving/riding comfort, an increasing number are demanding more civilized road manners. Ford acknowledged this with the new aluminum-body F-150, and, to an extent, delivered, though its level of refinement still doesn't quite match the Ram's.

Now I know you've been really adamant about the big improvement over at Chrysler in terms of interiors, and supposedly quality, but recent evidence suggests otherwise.

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/10/27/2015-jeep-cherokees-air-conditioning-line-recall/

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/10/27/ram-1500-rear-axle-heat-treating-recall/

Air conditioning lines and rear axles are not exactly minor problems. I agree with you that Chrysler has improved refinement and material quality. But actual reliability seems just as bad as it has been in the past. Not to mention the recent Jeep recall from not too long ago regarding the hacking vulnerability on some Jeep models.

Last edited:

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Now I know you've been really adamant about the big improvement over at Chrysler in terms of interiors, and supposedly quality, but recent evidence suggests otherwise.

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/10/27/2015-jeep-cherokees-air-conditioning-line-recall/

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/10/27/ram-1500-rear-axle-heat-treating-recall/

Air conditioning lines and rear axles are not exactly minor problems. I agree with you that Chrysler has improved refinement and material quality. But actual reliability seems just as bad as it has been. Not to mention the recent Jeep recall from not too long ago regarding the hacking vulnerability on some Jeep models.

I heard about the latest recalls today on the car radio. I have indeed talked about Chrysler's improved interiors, refinement, and driving experience/road manners (though there are still some exceptions, like with lower-line Jeep models and the Fiat 500L/X, if you can consider those Chrysler products). But, with all due respect, if you look at my posts, nowhere have I ranked them particularly high on the reliability scale (and neither, in most cases, does Consumer Reports). While reliability overall is not as bad as several years ago (the buyout did seem to make somewhat of a difference), reliability problems still DO exist. To claim otherwise would be to deny reality.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Well I would argue that reliability is almost as bad as it was pre-buyout, but I guess we can agree to disagree and move on.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Well I would argue that reliability is almost as bad as it was pre-buyout, but I guess we can agree to disagree and move on.

Yes, on some Chrysler-built vehicles it still is sub-par, but not necessarily for the corporation as a whole. I don't think we disagree there.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Comparing and splitting hairs about most Chrysler products varying degrees of below average reliability is hardly worth the trouble. Other than renting, best avoided as a new car purchase.

Regarding the Ranger (the topic here), when will it be available for sale?

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Ford is (apparently) negotiating with the UAW on future Ranger production at the Wayne, MI assembly plant, after that plant shifts its Focus and C-Max production to Mexico. I can't imagine Ford producing the Ranger here, though, and not actually selling it here.

(This news, BTW, is actually a couple of months old, but didn't get posted, so I'm adding it now)

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/ford/2015/08/25/ford-ranger/32373741/

Ford Motor Co. wants to resurrect its once-popular Ranger truck in North America and build the midsize pickup at the Michigan Assembly Plant, according to sources with knowledge of Ford’s plans.

The Dearborn automaker has entered contract negotiations with the United Auto Workers with plans to bring the Ranger to the plant in Wayne in 2018, said the sources, who couldn’t speak publicly because of the sensitive nature of the talks. They said the final decision is up for discussion in the talks now underway, and must be agreed to with the union and then Ford’s board of directors.

The Ranger — which would replace the Focus and C-Max after production of those cars likely heads to Mexico — represents the kind of potentially high-profit, high-volume vehicle the union desires and likely would demand before members would ratify any contract proposal. The two sides must agree that the Ranger would be a good fit for the plant and its nearly 4,500 workers. For Ford, the pickup would mark the return to a small — but growing — midsize truck segment that would help it meet stricter fleet-wide fuel economy standards demanded by the federal government.

“There’s a real hunger for midsize trucks right now,” said Karl Brauer, senior analyst for Kelley Blue Book. “Once upon a time, there were a lot of midsize trucks in this market. The ones that are available are cashing in on the demand.”

New offerings like General Motors Co.’s Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon helped midsize truck sales rise recently after a long decline. But through the first seven months of 2015, the segment represented just 2.1 percent of the overall market, according to Edmunds.com.

It’s unclear if the Ranger will be the only product brought into the 5 million-square-foot Wayne plant. Five vehicles currently are built there — the Ford Focus, Focus Electric, Focus ST, C-Max Hybrid and C-Max Energi — and workers made about 265,000 vehicles last year.

Ford in July said it was pulling production of all its vehicles out of Michigan Assembly in 2018, but both the union and automaker have said repeatedly that they expect to avoid shuttering the plant and hope to introduce a new product there.

“We actively are pursuing future vehicle alternatives to produce at Michigan Assembly and will discuss this issue with UAW leadership as part of the upcoming negotiations,” spokeswoman Kristina Adamski said in an emailed statement. Ford does not comment on future products.

Ford now builds the Ranger in South Africa, Argentina, Thailand and Nigeria for 180 overseas markets. Ford hasn’t imported the small trucks to the U.S. in part because of a 25-percent tariff on foreign-built pickups, known as the “chicken tax.” The tax got its name because it was imposed in the 1960s as payback for a German tariff on chicken.

The last North America-built Ranger was part of a fleet order for Orkin Pest Control and rolled off the assembly line in December 2011 at Ford’s now-shuttered Twin Cities Assembly Plant in Minnesota.

“It was a huge seller for them for a while,” Brauer said.

Last edited:

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Ford Ranger/UAW progress-to-date 11/9/15:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2015/11/09/ford-uaw-ranger/75473664/

United Auto Workers union leaders signed off on a tentative agreement with Ford on Monday that would deliver $10,000 in signing bonuses to every worker and $9 billion in new U.S. product investments, retaining or creating 8,500 jobs.

Now it is time for the members to vote.

The new-product investments include a commitment by Ford to bring its Ranger midsize pickup back to America and to revive the storied Bronco nameplate. Both would be built at the Michigan Assembly Plant which will stop making the Ford Focus and C-Max families of vehicles there in 2018.

Production of the Bronco is expected to start after the Ranger and no later than 2020, according to a person briefed on the agreement who was not authorized to speak publicly.

The Ranger will enter a revived field of smaller pickups while the Bronco, known to off-roaders from the 1960s, would likely be aimed at the four-wheel-drive, dirt trail-ready market.

"It is one of the richest agreements in the history of UAW-Ford," UAW Vice President Jimmy Settles said Friday in announcing the new pact.

Settles and UAW President Dennis Williams briefed several hundred Ford elected leaders Monday at the UAW-Ford National Program Center in Detroit on the details of the deal. Now that the national council has approved the agreement, it will be sent to the union's 52,900 Ford members for ratification. Voting is expected to take at least a week.

Ford workers will be eligible for about $8,500 in signing bonuses as well as other goodies including profit sharing, a $1,500 annual inflation protection bonus and possible $250 annual competitiveness bonus, according to people familiar with the deal.

Additionally, $1,500 of the profit sharing amount due would be pulled ahead so that workers would get a tidy $10,000 upon ratification.

The agreement also includes:

•$70,000 retirement bonuses for select production and skilled trades workers. Timing must still be determined.

•Commitment to add up to 1,200 skilled trades apprentices

•$9 billion in total investment commitments to create or retain 8,500 jobs

•Same raises offered to long-time General Motors and Fiat Chrysler Automobiles workers: 3% raises in the first and third years and 4% lump sum bonuses in the second and fourth years.

•Path to bring entry-level workers to the full wage scale within eight years and they receive the same health care as traditional workers.

•Profit sharing continues to follow the current formula but there would no longer be a cap on the amount workers could get which could prove to be sizable in this red-hot North American market.

•Retirees get $1,000 in four annual $250 cash payments or gift cards. Surviving spouses get a total of $500 over the four years in $125 annual payments. They also can use the revived Legal Services Plan.

•A $2,000 signing bonus for temporary employees with at least 90 days on the job.

•Temporary workers already employed by Ford will make $17 to $22.50 per hour, depending on the number of years with the company.

•New temporary workers will start at $15.78 per hour and progress to $19.28 after four years.

•UAW maintained restrictions on the usage of temporary workers.

"Jimmy Settles is a seasoned negotiator," said Kristin Dziczek of the Center for Automotive Research. "He knows what will pass and what members want. He's got respect and understands that the priorities are jobs."

The Ford agreement is the third national contract the UAW has reached this year with the Detroit Three. An agreement reached last month with Fiat Chrysler Automobiles was ratified last month. An agreement with General Motors was ratified by production workers but rejected by skilled trades workers.

The UAW is also holding meetings at plants across the country today to determine why 59.5% of GM's skilled trades workers voted no while 58.3% of production workers voted in favor.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Thanks for the update, Steve. Looks like some pretty good potential benefits (by today's standards) for the employees who will work at that plant on the new Ranger and Bronco. A high cost of production, though, could also affect pricing of those new vehicles....and the Ranger is obviously going to have strong competition from both the Colorado and Tacoma. Of course, if the 2-door Bronco does well, that would increase pressure on Chevy to bring back the 2-door Blazer (which we also have not seen for a number of years)......and possibly the 2-door Dodge Ramcharger.